Game changer, maybe?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lab_nomad

Reaction score
I saw a video a while back about a guy living in his Prius, and he mentioned he could run the A/C all night when it was hot, and the car would turn itself on just long enough to top off the battery, and having run the A/C all night, he was only down like a gallon of gas. 

I thought that was awesome, but most people want something larger than a car, although I know some people love living in cars. I always thought too bad there aren't hybrid SUV's or vans, b/c that would be a good solution for someone who has a pet with them, and they need to stay in an area for work. Let the A/C run while they're at work and their pet will be comfortable.

Well, I just found out my coworker bought a Toyota Highlander HYBRID. She said she got 44 miles to the gallon on her way to work this morning! I had no idea that there were hybrid SUV's on the market. I wonder if you could do the A/C thing like a Prius in this Highlander? That would be awesome if you could. Does anyone know about this?

You should look in the Hybrid section. I think they discuss that and the hybrid vans as well.

bullfrog said:
Hope you got some deep pockets!

Yeah, I bet they’re pricey. I almost don’t want to go look, but I’m curious.

OK. I looked at the Chrysler van...40,000. Ouch. But it doesn’t work like the Prius. It looks like you have to plug it in. And it switches to gas when the battery runs out. So, not great. Maybe the Highlander works like the Prius since they’re both Toyota’s? My only interest in it (and why I posted in this forum) is the potential to keep the vehicle’s A/C running for long periods of time without having the vehicle on in the traditional sense.

2021 Toyota Sienna is also now a hybrid (or at least it’s an option) in 10 years when they trickle down on the used market it will be a game changer indeed!!!

However the maintenance is expected to cost more than the old Siennas wit battery replacements but still will be very much affordable and a game changer! I’m excited for the future on this one!?

I know my pockets won't stretch that far but, I'm intrigued by the idea of a Prius or similar vehicle as a Toad behind an RV and also serving as the battery bank and generator for the RV. There could be 1-2 batteries and panels on the RV for when the Toad is away. When they are together, they would be a package with batteries, inverter, panels, generator, etc.

^^^Yep me too. It is possible to use the main battery and run a 3,000 watt inverter but a little complicated. It is easy to run a 1,500 watt inverter indirectly through the small starter battery that is charged from the big battery but limited by a fuse and wire size to 1,500 watts. The Prius has been touted to be more efficient and quieter that a comparable sized Honda generator. There is a company called "Prius Offroad" that makes a two inch lift as well. I actually looked at a wrecked older one to use stationary or on a small trailer but really to make it worthwhile you would need to be able to use it for transportation in my opinion. If they just made a cheap 4x4 off road version I could totally see it.

MGfromBC said:
...I'm intrigued by the idea of a Prius or similar vehicle as a Toad behind an RV and also serving as the battery bank and generator for the RV.
The Prius would need to be on a flat-bed trailer.  The traction battery is largely charged from regenerative braking.  Not saying it wouldn't make a good toad, but there are considerations.

VanFan said:
The Prius would need to be on a flat-bed trailer . . .

According to Toyota, a Prius can be towed with the front wheels off the ground (tow dolly).  It can be flat towed a short distance at less than 18 mph. -- owners manual.

Thanks Spiff!  Last time I had mine towed (okay, the only time), I asked for a flat bed.  Better read my manual again.