Do i need a charge controller with a isolator?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob-Goose

Reaction score
I'm going to be picking up a isolator in the next few weeks, before dropping big $$ on a solar kit. How ever I'm curious to know if I need a charge controller for the batteries with the isolator? im just worried about over charging them and damaging the bank.

The vehicle electrical system will not overcharge your battery bank.  Without some additional source your battery bank will be undercharged.   After you add solar the vehicle electrical system will still not overcharge your battery bank.  

There is a product called CTEK.  It is a battery to battery charger.  It will take 13 volts from the alternator and step it up to 14.4 to actually charge your battery bank.  You will need to drive many hours daily but it will get charged.  Solar is likely a better choice.

Trebor English said:
There is a product called CTEK.

Since CTEK makes a variety of products, it would be helpful to be more specific.

ohh ok, so if i install a smart isolator i wont have to worry about damaging my batteries. im planning on getting solar in the near future, but i wanted to at least get a isolator because its not always sunny in the winter, so im just covering the grey area :p

Rob-Goose said:
I'm going to be picking up a isolator in the next few weeks, before dropping big $$ on a solar kit. How ever I'm curious to know if I need a charge controller for the batteries with the isolator? im just worried about over charging them and damaging the bank.

If the Isolator is to go between the vehicle starter battery and a house battery, then the answer to you question is No.

Latest posts