Do friends and family try to guilt you...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't look back now but HOLD onto all you learned thru the tragedy of others and what you want moving forward for you. It is OK truly cause YOU HELPED massively in the past and did what one could do against true life issues and to me that profession is to be appauded but it is truly OK to move forward for you. NOW THAT is how I WOULD have to fathom it all with a life of service to others but when is MY time? and if it hits ya now then it hits you now and IT IS fab ok to do just that :)

Your life is just as precious forward as what you gave of yourself in the past. Time to 'go on for you' and that is ALWAYS OK!!
:love: just figured where these are!!!

...friends and family...have a way of trying...and the greater community....[aka 'TheGreaterCommunity©' [yuck]]...Any thoughts or experiences?
a)
We closed that door.
We walked away.
We have zero-zero-zero patience with any of that nonsense.
Our few moments are too valuable to waste on fraidy-cats and fear-projectors.
We were always this way, and we re-fined it -- kicked it into 'OVER!-DRIVE!' -- in 2003 the instant we received the devastating diagnosis for my Very Significant Other.
b)
Until the day he passed unto the Great Boondock In The Sky, my da owned a 34' Class A.
He dragged my mom -- kicking and screaming -- to:
* New Hampshire to watch the leaves change colors
* Florida for his hobby of getting free lunches for touring condo units
* Texas and Oklahoma for some tasty Western Swing dancing (she grudgingly admitted that was finally fun and finally worth the trip).
c)
My memory is selective, intentionally.
Those naysayers are going to naysay irregardless, so I choose to not be downrange.
Somehow, I automatically forget they exist.
Weird, huh?
At their end:
* What are they going to do... stop sending us xmez cards with 'up-date' bulletins about their latest bathroom re-model [yawn]?

...off the rails.. not dealing with a full deck...
Those, and:
* Elevator doesn't go all the way to the top.
* A few bricks shy of a load.
* A few sandwiches short of a picnic.
* Doesn't have both oars in the water.
* Not firing on all cylinders.
And my favorites:
* Neck-bolts need re-torquing.
* Cornbread ain't quite done in the center.
Yep
Going on my new business cards.

Last edited:
a)
We closed that door.
We walked away.
We were always this way, and we re-fined it -- kicked it into 'OVER!-DRIVE!' -- in 2003 the instant we received the devastating diagnosis for my Very Significant Other.
b)
Until the day he passed unto the Great Boondock In The Sky, my da owned a 34' Class A.
* Texas and Oklahoma for some tasty Western Swing dancing (she grudgingly admitted that was finally fun and finally worth the trip).
c)
Those naysayers are going to naysay irregardless, so I choose to not be downrange.
Weird, huh?
At their end:
* What are they going to do... stop sending us xmez cards with 'up-date' bulletins about their latest bathroom re-model [yawn]?
Right?! It's more when it comes from very close and dear friends. But I talked it out and the complexities of our relationship revealed the uncertainty of me potentially leaving (them). There may always be a reason and it's not always selfish on their part I guess. Sometimes they will just miss us and are sad and don't know how to say it properly. Pain makes folks say all sorts of stuff.

Funny but I lived in New Hampshire for 20 years and live in Florida now! I believe my folks and I visited Texas when I was a kid. We took some long trips too. I love your perspective on things. Thanks for the comments!!
a)
We closed that door.
We walked away.
b)
c)
Weird, huh?
At their end:
Well said!! For me it was more about some of my near and dear friends who were sad about me leaving but didn't know how to express it properly. After a heart to heart talk about it, we were able to get through our complicated feelings about the past and how we could move forward. In the end it was all fine. The folks who simply spout off but don't have a true vested interest in my well being, I don't ultimately care what they think because what you say is true.

Interestingly, I lived 20 years in New Hampshire and currently live in Florida, and my parents and I traveled in Texas when I was young. We took long trips for my dad's business back in those days and had some adventures. Thanks for your wonderful input! I enjoy your notes very much. Xo

Seems lately as I discuss the possibility of van life with friends and family, they have a way of trying to make me feel as though I am letting them down somehow or doing something that they think I couldn't handle. I am, by nature, a giver, so much of my life has revolved around doing for my friends and family, and the greater community. The fact that I might actually be doing something for myself seems to give folks pause. I understand part of it is that they may not have the time, courage, imagination or whatever it takes to try van life, so their sense of fear or trepidation makes them come down on my dream. Any thoughts or experiences?

View attachment 33003
Secret to life is to stay unconcerned with the opinions of others 🤷🏽‍♀️ it's your life! Follow your intuition they'll either support your decision or they won't but it shouldn't change your desired outcome