Do any of you hook your computer up to a printer and print?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billyidol

Reaction score
I keep seeing all of you guys with your computer in your RVs and vans, but I never see a printer.&nbsp; I'm a special education teacher, and I often have to print out educational plans for children.&nbsp; I feel that a printer is a necessity.&nbsp; <br /><br />1-How have you gone about hooking up a printer?<br />2-Have you ever used a computer/printer in a StarBucks or McDonalds'?&nbsp; How did that go for you?<br /><br />John

I carry a printer with me, I power it with an inverter, and just hook it upto my laptop when I need to print something and pack it &nbsp;back away afterward.<br /><br />I returned the first printer model the first day, the power supply was either faulty or did not like the modified square wave form the cheap inverter. &nbsp;The replacement has got to be 8 years old now. &nbsp;Only works with my old laptop, never loaded the drivers into my new laptop. &nbsp;Just waiting to run out of ink before getting something smaller and more capable and modern, as this one has taken a &nbsp;literal beating, and is not &nbsp;" photo worthy" any more.<br /><br />I do my best not to rely on any public WIFI. &nbsp;I don't know enough about computer security, to take the chance.

Can you send something to STAPLES and have it printed? &nbsp;

I'm bringing my laser printer with me, but I'll likely only use it when the generator is running.

&nbsp;We had a Canon printer that we got free when we bought our first laptop in 2004. When it died we bought a Canon MP250 printer/scanner/copier. It was really inexpensive and works great. We only get it out when we want to use it.<br /><br />&nbsp;If you want to use free WiFi McDonalds is okay and a lot of the time you can use it from the parking lot. Star Bucks has been locking theirs so you have to go inside to get the code. Try Home Depot , Lowes , Safeway and Panera&nbsp; Bread for unlocked ,strong signal that you can get from the lot.

Wow i never knew hardware outlets have wifi...interesting tidbit!

Yes.&nbsp; I keep the printer/scanner/copier stored away unless I need it but it really comes in handy.&nbsp; Has a fax, too, but only works when I have phone service.&nbsp;

I carry a printer as well (actually, I carry the exact same printer as Tony &amp; Karen-$28 at Walmart!). You might think I need it because I have websites, but when other vandwellers find out I have a printer, they often have me print something for them so I think it is fairly universal to need a printer periodically. I tried to have something printed at UPS Store once and it was going to be very expensive. <br /><br />I have solar so I never have problem with enough electricity. I just plug it into my Cobra 400 inverter and it works just fine. Bob

Ron's family gave me his portable canon PIXMA i100. Just got the 12 volt cord for it off eBay. Have to figure out how to use blue tooth to print from my phone. When I stop by San Antonio on my way west I have to look for regular if in cord for it. Ron had about a million cords. Supposed to get a few other things that the family said I could bring out for the giveaway blanket.

I have a big bulky canon 360, i needed the fax part, which I learned can't work without a hardline, I lobby when the "house is in session", for in both states and federal, Tuesday I will be in PA for a court hearing my friend is having, the printer is very important, but I think I will go get a cheapie like several have mentioned, I will also be in&nbsp;Washington&nbsp;DC, the first week of February to speak to&nbsp;congress&nbsp;about agricultural issues........&nbsp;

just found that Staples will be setting up 3D printing in a couple foriegn countries, with the United Sates soon to come.&nbsp; Then you can print a part that you need to fix something.&nbsp;

I have a cheapie all in one that has lasted 3 or 4 years. &nbsp;If I need to fax something, I scan it or print it to a PDF and then use a "fax for free" website. &nbsp;I also have an e-fax free fax number. &nbsp;I don't know if they still give them out. &nbsp;I really don't have too many situations anymore where a fax can't be substituted with an image.

If you need something more portable, they do make mobile printers. HP has an H470 printer line that apparently works well.&nbsp;I wouldn't recommend it for large print jobs, but occasional stuff would work.<br />Anything over 10 pages and I would use a copy centre like Staples.