DIY Awning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vanshark said:
I've been pondering ways to stay cooler in summer...I'd like to 'tent' the entire van from partition on back to about 10 ft. past the rear bumper. I move around a lot,  so it would have to be something that collapses and comes apart for storage.
As an FYI, the "Snow White Cool Tarp" I mentioned in my prior post can be custom sized in any width of 12ft wide x ????(your length). You could easily cover the entire rig with a couple tarps.

: ) Thom

PS. Ditto on the Silnylon/amsteel tarp setup. That would be about the lightest affordable DIY combination. If one was made of money, Cuban fiber would be nice too (might well currently be the lightest tarp fabric available but really expensive.)

This is my favorite over the van awning.

X2 on bseek's link. The Backroad Vanner has some great videos on things to make van life more comfortable. The screen for his back doors is excellent as well.

eDJ_ linked this thread in another one and I hadnt seen it before. I havent seen anything like these! good thinking.

my racks are tubular (yakimas) so I took advantage of that by doing this modular set up that should be easy enough for others to replicate in their own ways.

all I did to the racks themselves was pull the end caps out then drilled holes and tapped threads to accept thumb screws. this should work on any tubular racks, square or round.
027a.jpg 035.jpg

this section stays assembled and slides quickly in or out. I just slide them in all the way and tighten them to hit the road.

033.jpg

so you can just pop a small tarp on it folded over for a really quick setup or use a larger one with ground stakes and slide in or out to fit the tarp like this:
044.jpg

its all made out of electrical conduit BTW and here Ive used two sizes to make these telescoping poles that I also added big fender washers on the bottom as feet and drilled holes big enough for gutter nail stakes and also tacked on several nuts so that I can connect bungies to them. the top fittings allow them to angle out at any angle so they can be used lots of ways on any terrain.

034.jpg

I couldnt find any fittings like I needed for 1/2" conduit so I got a bunch of couplings, cut them all in half and made up a couple of jigs to mig weld them together like I needed them. if anyone knows of a suplier for something like this pre-made, please let us know. it wasnt a big hassle but not everyone has a chop saw and mig welder.

036.jpg

this set up is super adaptable, can be set up all the way around the van and you could even set up parts of it not attached to the van for a small shower away from the van but when Im camping alone I just set up a make shift shower in the rear like the last photo.

053.jpg  054.jpg

this works really well in bad weather, Ive been through a hurricane with it set up like the box in my build thread, I had to contantly dump water off the roof tarps and now I cut and carry some corrugated metal like is used in steel building exterior walls, to fit the racks with a little extra overhang that I can stack and carry several pieces and use them ontop when I plan to be gone for more than a few days.

if anyone wants to see a few more of this, the link in my sig to my build thread has a few more and if anyone has questions or suggestions for improvements, let me know.

Attachments

• 027a.jpg
    027a.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 21
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 20
John61CT said:
Yep some nice hacking there

I keep hoping to find the fittings pre-made somewhere. its not a huge deal to make them but the fittings come galvanized so I sandblast each area that needs welding then again after welding them and the spray paint them so it takes some time to make them from scratch.

there has to be somewhere to get them pre-fabbed. they can be used to make all kinds of temporary things. the shower stall, a table/bench, whatever you can think of!

I forgot to mention, Ive swapped out the screws the couplings came with for thumbscrews with the same threads and in some spots that need a bit more tightnest Ive swapped them out with bolts to get them a little tighter but you have to be careful with the bolts not to over tighten them and put dents in the conduit.

I wouldn’t if there would be some way to use awning knuckles. There are a bunch of different designs.

Patrick46 said:
Yeah, I followed his build of that home-built raised-roof van, over on the ADV motorcycle forum.

Ive been digging around over there looking for build pics but cant find this one anywhere. it looks like a steel roof but not sure. do you recall the thread title or user?

considering doing this to a '95 astro by cutting out the roof and reusing it for the top section of the high top extension.

Unlike KW's original example, what about a push button Dometic 9100 Power Awning?
Then you would have it down in 5 seconds, use it more, and get more cool fresh air  :cool:

And it's 70 lbs: instead of 700 lbs making a 1 ton van lean over :D
It also has an automatic wind retractor they have done a lot of work getting right (hopefully.)

dometic_916_9108675056_45375_11.png

breeze said:
Unlike KW's original example, what about a push button Dometic 9100 Power Awning?
Then you would have it down in 5 seconds, use it more, and get more cool fresh air  :cool:

And it's 70 lbs: instead of 700 lbs making a 1 ton van lean over :D
It also has an automatic wind retractor they have done a lot of work getting right (hopefully.)

dometic_916_9108675056_45375_11.png

not much DIY going on there. is it permanently mounted?

Safarivan,

Did you get a chance to look at how I went about building mine in the the "Vanconversion" website below ?

What I learned in building mine is what it would take to operate it once I built it.  LOL    I would caution everyone here to remember that when designing their awning to take into account what it would require of you to operate it.
Would it lend itself to "one person" operation ?

I had to first loosen the left front ladder rack and move it a couple inches forward before moving to the right side of the Van to do the same while holding the end of the awning in one hand to pull the plastic tube off the spool the awning was tied onto.  (the tube protected it from the wind while on the road and rain water that would seep into it if uncovered)

THEN, to insert the end of the spool back into the eyelet mount on the ladder rack and tighten the right clamp (these clamps held the rain gutter of the roof of the Van) before going back to the left side to reset that end of the ladder rack.   Whew !!!   :p 

But I reasoned that it would still better than sitting in the sun or rain so it would be worth undergoing this setup or take down.

Then I had to untie the straps roughly one foot apart of each other before pulling the blue plastic tarp come awning out to set up the tent poles and establish the four guy wires.  (again challenging for one person, but still "doable")

Taking down the awning was the next "learning experience".  I at first enlisted anyone I could find to assist but
soon realized that I could use weights attached to the far end of the awning to keep the tension on it so that it would roll up tightly to the spool.  (so that the plastic tube would fit over it again.  (quite important)

The rolling the awning back in was accomplished with a speed handle from my socket tools and a couple of extensions which were 3/8" drive.   I found a socket that fit inside the conduit tube I made the spool from in a flea market.  I drilled through it and then through the conduit to put a small eyelet bolt through that socket.
This held it in place so that the handle with a small universal socket would allow me to turn the spool to reel the awning in.  the small eyelet bolt I mentioned  allowed me to take a piece of nylon zip tie or a shoe lace from a boot to tie it down so the spool could be tied down if I only wanted the awning 1/2 or 2/3 of the way out.  (which in windy weather often worked better). 

But this is the side of the DIY of an awning that you won't experience until you get into designing/building/operating one.    Those are the three corners of your design parameter.  After I used it a few times I got to where I could set up or take down in less than 15 minutes.  But in high winds it's almost impossible to get a good tight roll up on the awning.  When I encountered that I tied the awning to the spool as best as I could and knew the plastic tube wouldn't fit over it.   I tied a long nylon cord thru the tube and to the front and rear
racks and lashed it to the awning so it would be safe to drive at high way speeds.  

Still,  am I happy with what I built.  Yes.   It's easy enough to change the blue plastic tarp when it rips or degrades.  Duct tape makes "OK" repairs.  Didn't have "Gorilla Tape" back then.   I learned to use a heavier grade of the blue plastic tarps when I could find them.  I once found a silver one and I liked it and would loved to have found a light beige one.  But the blue color was for some reason the most common. 

Today if I were building the spool again I'd go to a "Fastenall" store (where they sell nuts & bolts etc) to find the washers that have the inside dimension to fit over the conduit an the outside diameter to fit into the plastic tube used to cover the awning.

The guy who did my welding on the spool didn't like the galvanize coating on the conduit that I used so I sanded it down.  He made about 3 spot welds to hold the washers in place. (without much danger of toxic fumes)  I laid out the dots on the side of the conduit to drill with my electric drill such that the self tapping screws I used would hold the tarp to the spool.  

This may seem like a lot of work to someone reading this for the first time,  but believe me it isn't. 

On the ends of the spool (the open conduit tube) I found rubber caps like you would use on the ends of the legs of a stool at a hardware store.  They kept water and insects out of the center of the spool.  These could be easily removed or replaced to set up or take down the awning.

I write this to help those considering a DIY awning for themselves.   An awning has been one of the most
beneficial and enjoyable aspects of my rig.

hi eDJ_, I did see your page yes, love that '70s van too BTW.

I had even considered doing a roller for the main tarp on mine but it looked to be more hassle than it might be worth and the aesthetics of it all was somewhat important to me too. I couldnt figure a way to make it look good. I dont really like the store bought solutions either though. I prefer to remove it when not in use.

another thing on mine and anyone elses that has solar panels is coming up with a way to make one without blocking the sun on the panels. and it was tricky getting it rain proof where they meet so its not dripping in there.

Ive been pretty happy with my DIY awning and plan to incorporate it into the big GMC too but that one will be tougher to pull out. I will either use a ladder or make it something like yours to crank out or possibly motorize it. that ones a ways off and still in the planning stages.

safarivan said:
not much DIY going on there. is it permanently mounted?

That depends on both accounts. It is mechanically attached, for instant
Deployment which is it's strength.

As for diy, anything on a conversion is diy from an engineer's viewpoint.
Taking a brand-new generic product and successfully applying it diy, imo.
I earlier saw product links in the thread. Were those all original diy ideas,
Or were they stole? Maybe how far back in the manufacturing process is what you 
Are referring to? Did you make the fabric, harvest the cotton, or mold the metal?
Or maybe wasting time and money is the main goal.

Sometimes it's more productive to occasionally look at the latest economical
Inventions to save time and money w/o going back to the invention of the wheel.
Ymmv.

highdesertranger said:
are we arguing about awnings? highdesertranger

I think his argument is with the definition of the term 'DIY'?

This is a really cool design! I may try to make a version of this for my build. 

I will do some 3-D stress analysis to try and make the hardware as light as possible.

Latest posts