Dishes Best Served Cold

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VJG1977

Reaction score
<p class="MsoBodyText"><em><span style="font-family:Arial;background:white; font-style:normal">Reading the forums for car and rv dwellers got me to thinking about foods that you eat cold.&nbsp; Food does not have to be hot to be nutritious or filling.&nbsp; When I travel now with just a cooler, I load it with that type food.&nbsp; I also carry a box of stuff that does not need to be kept cold.</span></em></p> <p class="MsoBodyText"><span style="background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: white; "><font face="Arial">Here is a list&nbsp;I've&nbsp;been working on.&nbsp; Please suggest your favorites.</font></span></p> <p class="MsoBodyText"><em><span style="font-family:Arial;background:white; font-style:normal">Sandwiches, everything from peanut butter to cold cuts and cheese</span></em></p><p class="MsoBodyText"><em><span style="font-family:Arial;background:white; font-style:normal">Fried chicken, I like it hot and love it cold</span></em></p> <p class="MsoBodyText"><em><span style="font-family:Arial;background:white; font-style:normal">Chicken salad, ham salad, tuna salad</span></em></p> <p class="MsoBodyText"><em><span style="font-family:Arial;background:white; font-style:normal">Deli sliced cold cuts; ham, chicken, turkey, roast beef…wrap around a piece of cheese, dip into mustard: hot, sweet, spicy, honey</span></em></p> <em><span style="font-family: Arial; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: white; font-style: normal; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">Salads, bag of mixed greens from the produce section with cheese, </span></em><span style="font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: white; ">croutons, bacon bits…</span>

Pasta salad - make your own then you can add as much dressing as you like , any kind of vegetable and even mix in some cold cuts just before you eat it if you want some&nbsp; protein.<br>

Pork 'n beans and Ravioli, straight outta the can Mmm.. mmm.. GOOD! The Chef is cookin' tonight!<br>

<em><span style="font-family: Arial; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: white; font-style: normal; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">Hard-boiled eggs, deviled eggs, if I’m too lazy to make deviled eggs I mix some mayo on a plate with paprika, salt, pepper, and a pkt. of Splenda.&nbsp; Then I spread this on sliced eggs and eat a pickle with it.</span></em>

How about fresh fruit,&nbsp;dried fruit, seeds, nuts, cereal (granola), crackers, breads, smoked meats, jerky.

<p>Cold pizza.&nbsp; I like to buy a small&nbsp;one and keep some in the Koolatron for breakfast.&nbsp;&nbsp; Favorite&nbsp;cold pizza?&nbsp; Canadian bacon and sauerkraut...</p>

ROTF VanT, I was gonna say ewww but most think I am crazy eating Peanut butter and Mayo sandwiches... Yummy...<br>

veg beef stew or chill straight from the can, I also like to keep my tuna cans in the ice chest and eat them cold.<br>

<p style="margin: 0px;">It's amazing how many dishes taste almost as good cold as they do warm or hot.&nbsp; More often than not, they are low in fat, particularly saturated fats...</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I love cold bean soup, cold Indian dal, many different cold fishes (but not Long John Silvers cold), cold fruit desserts, and so forth.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">The two things are think are the nastiest cold are&nbsp;greasy hamburgers and....&nbsp;&nbsp;and cold french fries...&nbsp; Some cold, fried chicken is gross, too, such as KFC Extra Crispy (breaded twice)... </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">The other, less breaded chicken is kind of yummy at fridge temp though.&nbsp; Grandma Harris used to bring&nbsp;leftover chicken (cooked&nbsp;with&nbsp;tons of Crisco in a cast iron skillet)&nbsp;when we went fishing... I'd take her midwest cooking over Gordon Ramsey's foofoo stuff any day!</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

cold pizza - the breakfast of champions, especially if they are in college! i vote for cold spaghetti leftovers!

I keep crab sticks. They make good sushi rolls or just sandwiches with fresh veggies.

Curry. Any kind. The spicier the better. The rice gets a little coarse, but the curry tastes better to me cold. <br /><br />How come no one has mentioned <span class="st">Ceviche yet? The Shrimpo de Gallo recipe made me think of it since civiche is just pico de gallo with extra lime and raw meat..<br /><br />&nbsp;Here is the recipe I want to try if I ever manage to catch a damn trout out here:</span><span class="st"><br /></span><h3>Ingredients</h3><ul class="subset"><li>4 trout fillets</li><li>2 <a href="http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/knowhow/glossary/lime/"> limes </a> , juiced</li><li>1 small red <a href="http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/knowhow/glossary/chilli/"> chilli </a> , finely chopped</li><li>&frac12; <a href="http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/knowhow/glossary/onion/"> onion </a> , very finely chopped</li><li>2 <a href="http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/knowhow/glossary/tomato/"> tomatoes </a> , seeded, skinned and finely chopped</li><li>&frac12; <a href="http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/knowhow/glossary/avocado/"> avocado </a> , peeled and finely chopped</li><li>a handful cilantro leaves</li></ul><ol><li><span>Slice the trout carefully into strips, cutting into the fish on a diagonal. Lay the strips in a glass or ceramic dish and pour over the lime juice, chilli and onion. Cover and leave in the fridge for an hour. Check all the fish is in contact with the lime and rearrange the strips if you need to, leave for another hour. </span></li><li><span> Arrange the fish on plates to serve, season with a little salt and scatter the tomato, avocado and coriander over. </span></li></ol><br />Recipe from http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6912/trout-ceviche<span class="st"><br id="tinymce" class="mceContentBody " /></span>