Director of School of Agriculture has offered to house me through winter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I just wanted to share an odd encounter I had in college last week.
Backstory: Its my SO and I's second winter living full time in our chevy Astro in southern Wisconsin while I attend college.

I received an email straight from the Director of the School of Agriculture requesting that I come to his office at my earliest convenience.
Immediately I thought, "Okay... this is either really good or really bad... Do I remember doing anything wrong?"

Either way I met him the next day, at which point he told me that someone mentioned to him that I lived in a van. He offered his help in any way, because he felt that I wouldn't be able to focus on school while battling winter (We did last year, and I have the grades to prove it.)
Nonetheless, I asked and he agreed to let us use a hot shower, fridge, and stove. He insisted that we stay there whenever necessary, and I reassured him that we are quite comfortable sleeping in the van down to 20 degrees. Any colder than that and we need to wake up every 1-3 hours to run mr.buddy (Which I'd prefer not to have to do if he's offering a warm place).

I also made a point of letting him know that we chose to be vandwellers and genuinely prefer to sleep in our home over crashing at his house.
Either way it's nice to know that I have a plan B when shit hits the fan.

What a cool offering!! Hope it serves you, and he, well.

The Wisconsin Idea in action! Love how you live on your own terms and are able to tough out the temps. They predicted a milder winter for us here in WI, but still, once it hits 30, I heap on the layers, turn up the heat in the S&B and dream of the day when I am free to move with the comfortable weather year round. Best wishes to you guys!

that's great. I would like to point out that if you have to run the heater every 1-3 hours your sleeping bags are inadequate. in fact you should not have to run the heater at all over night. highdesertranger

I had a friend that lived in his van that always took a morning P.E. class so he could shower and cleanup before his other classes. If he would consider renting you a 110 volt outlet you could run a cermic heater at night, I would also check campus parking lots for diesel spaces that have 110 volt outlets for block heaters.

highdesertranger said:
that's great.  I would like to point out that if you have to run the heater every 1-3 hours your sleeping bags are inadequate.  in fact you should not have to run the heater at all over night.  highdesertranger

That's the trick isn't it? We have a heavy wool on top, down in the middle, and fleece on the bottom. I'll look into 2 person sleeping bags.
Thanks!

Great to hear that there's still folks who actually care about others and open a door when winter takes hold. I've been ok sofar in Cleveland Ohio without running any heat.
I just finished repairs on the adjustment arm on the passenger side. So while I was on jack stands I couldn't go get fuel so I had to tough it out. Only dropped to the high 20's F. So now that I'm up and running you bet I've been warm! I'll run it for a half hour or so twice a night and it's fine. Sure it gets cold but it's better than sleeping on the ground. Spend a few days in a snow cave and you will appreciate a chilly van[emoji6]
At least you can get a shower in and be able to move around without multi layers of clothing from time to time. It's a nice break. I've been in four layers for the past three weeks. And can't wait for summer already! Guess once you're over 50 winter looses some of its appeal. But I am not ready to run to the desert just yet. There's ice fishing and other outdoor activities I'm not willing to give up on this year. Stay warm and I hope you graduate top of the class! Your news made my day even!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Very nice offer. Happy you have options if needed. You stay warm up there :)