Diesel Questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unleaded petrol, OK. Wouldn't that be UP? :)

Actually, I'm already familiar with all the differences in lingo,spellings. Me mum was a Brit.

I've owned Triumphs and Nortons, also MGBs.

Cheerio mate.

Pleasant Travels said:
In vans, there are really only 2 options for the diesels, since Dodge never put one in their vans. The most common you will find are Fords, with Chevys being less common.

I believe Ram (Dodge) did put a small turbo diesel in some of the Ram Promasters for a year or two...not sure what it was exactly or why it was not carried forward.

Otherwise, good write up, good info...

tx2sturgis said:
I believe Ram (Dodge) did put a small turbo diesel in some of the Ram Promasters for a year or two...not sure what it was exactly or why it was not carried forward.

Otherwise, good write up, good info...
True, but I'm referring to the affordable used market here. And the diesel Promasters were so recent that they are still not affordable. They were also 4 cylinders without ability to tow large trailers,...so,...why even mention them?

Cuz I wanted to....the thread topic is about diesels. So was my answer. And yes, I did mention it was a small diesel...and apparently was some type of market failure in the USA, for whatever reason.

Someone might want to know this stuff.

tx2sturgis said:
Cuz I wanted to....the thread topic is about diesels. So was my answer. And yes, I did mention it was a small diesel...and apparently was some type of market failure in the USA, for whatever reason.

A little 4 cylinder diesel made in Italy by Fiat or Vespa or something. What could go wrong?

Yeah that and lack of power, efficiency, emissions, reliability, cost, parts, etc etc....not all diesels are the bee's knee's...and that is the point.

rokguy said:
I owner / operate a fleet of reliable smaller bio diesel powered trucks. You don't know what you are talking about.

Your diesel does not stink? Or, your bio-diesel is not from palm-oil plantations? I suggest anyone can google the result of what the palm-oil folks are doing to that blue rock you live on.

pattipanuccio said:
I have put my Class A up for sale and have been looking for a cargo van to replace it. I ran across a nice chevy diesel in great shape but I only have experience with bigger diesel trucks. I need some advice, I travel alone and would like to know about any issues I might encounter that would be different than a gas guzzler?
I personally like diesel 4x4 trucks with truck campers as they are much more versatile and easier to work on. However, If you want a cargo van a great alternative is a small school bus.  They are very inexpensive and you can get the super combo of Cummins diesel engine mated to an Allison transmission. Most of the buses are built like tanks and will last for many decades.

Weight said:
Your diesel does not stink? Or, your bio-diesel is not from palm-oil plantations? I suggest anyone can google the result of what the palm-oil folks are doing to that blue rock you live on.
My trucks runs on a mix of 10% diesel and 90% used vegetable oil mate, have never used palm oil. Palm oil is not widely used here in Australia and also live in an area surrounded by Canola farms.