Diaper pail for poop bags?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I last used a diaper pail, 1975, the lid wasn't tight fitting.  I have a 5 gallon bucket with a screw on lid that is air tight.  I use the same bucket for bags of poop and bags of kitchen garbage.  I line it with a 13 gallon tall bag.  It is a repurposed bucket.  It originally contained swimming pool chlorine tablets.  People who use them in their pool cleaning businesses usually frequent pool supply stores.

I found a 2.5 gallon bucket at Meijer. It's a sawed off 5 gallon, so a Gamma lid fit perfectly. Ends up, a 4 gallon bag is too small, so I use 8 gallons doubled up. I, throw, sawdust in between uses and keep the pee separate. The Gamma keeps the smell at bay between uses. However, the smell seems to penetrate the plastic. Keep a deodorant in the bucket.

Five gallon bucket plus a Gamma Seal Lid.

A threaded ring hammers onto the bucket and the lid screws into it.

Usually available at Walmart and home improvement centers, always available online.

I use Glad 13 gallon 'Scent Guard' bags to line my bucket with Gamaseal lid.  Then use hardware store bags (they are stronger than Walmart type bags) for individual dumps.  No smelly plastic bucket (passes the beagle test) but the Fabreeze scent of the Glad bags is annoying.  Kept poop in bucket for up to 17 days, no smell when closed.

Very important to separate urine from feces!

We used one of those when my son was in diapers. The diapers construction and materials help with smell. Not sure that would be tolerable with adult shit in hot weather.

I have been changing diapers for 40+ years, the only thing to keep the smell really gone is to take the stuff OUT as soon as possible.
That said, so far we have just used the bucket for night duty. No pun intended. And it gets emptied first thing in the morning. I use kitty litter with big odor control, and odor control bags and a tight lid. Not sure how it will be for extended days, or when we have to haul the bags out ourselves. But I am wondering how the diaper genni thing would work for us. It does a good job sealing stuff, tightly quickly, and it has some amazing plastic 'what ever' to hold things. I'm wondering if I put the bags with the odor control kitty litter in the odor control bags into the diaper genni if I then put it in with what ever other trash we had to haul out with us how bad it would smell. Maybe I should just get a roof rack with a box to hold things that smell...… maybe I am serious, maybe just to up tight about it.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Very important to separate urine from feces!

So people say, but I don't and my world is fine.