Diamond in the Rough

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corky52

Reaction score
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/4816770971.html

All fiberglass house, and cheap!

With some work this unit has great potential. If you want to build for long-term use and figure to use with out worrying about reselling this old rig is a great place to start. Put some money and work in and you have a rig with years of life that will do everything but hide in plane sight.

Corky

That's a MAJOR rebuild there, New doors, a new window (maybe unique design?), new carpet, complete reupholstery, I'd ditch the dinette and install a comfy chair and folding desk. Major bathroom rebuild, new water tank. Maybe new kitchen appliances?
Engine work too, from the sound of the lack of Emissions cert. Assume new tires. Major rust issues on the cab structure.
Figure a few grand to get it usable.

That isn't a diamond in the rough, that is a lump of coal that hasn't even been put under pressure yet.

You could put $10,000 in that thing easy. He mentions in the ad that ones in good condition go for $6500. Do the math.

I would expect this RV to sell at about $1200, maybe less. Nice part about being fiberglass is a new window is easy, if the current hole is for an oddball shape all you need is a sawsall to reshape it to take a bigger one of a slightly larger size. This rig is a base, not a finished product, a base that with proper work will give you a rig that is far more fitted to your needs than anything you can buy. Not everyone is suited to doing what's needed by this rig, but if you are, what you'll have at the end is reasonably priced mobile living unit that can be easily maintained and used.

Corky

you guys are overlooking a HUGE MAJOR PROBLEM.....

the cab on this thing is SHOT!!!! See all the rust leaking down over the front doors???

The entire cab of this thing will have to be replaced! No two ways around it. This will be a phenomenal undertaking and should not be overlooked. Definitely not a job for an inexperienced builder...and NO, you cannot simply dump Ospho all over it. (if you want it to last more than a year)

http://images.craigslist.org/00e0e_iTPBoso4eQt_600x450.jpg

best thing would be to get a whole new cab and switch 'em out.

why don't these people at least clean it up before taking pics. I mean a tire inside, really. Patrick is right the cab is shot those old vehicles with rain gutters built in are a bear to fix once rust has started in that area. then the smog on those years with a carb arrr. then he said that there is no driver door but the driver door might be rusted, what. then there is no clear title, in kalifornia this alone could cost thousands. this guy I full of sh.., well you know what. run don't walk away from this. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
... this guy I full of sh.., well you know what. run don't walk away from this. highdesertranger

But he said he will regret selling it later on! :angel:

that rust looks like it is coming from the roof, under the cabover...how would you even repair if you wanted too...eventual leak i think.

I love it! If I wasn't already building a truck, I would buy it! Yes, loads of work and money, but think of the end result...