Detroiter here!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome! Urban living can be easy! Do you have a parking spot where you teach? Are you having to take additional college courses for your work and does the college offer parking or night classes? Take a gym class or join a 24 hour workout place with parking maybe. Rotate parking nightly between 10 or 12 24 hour restaurants, heck get a part time job at one they will probably let you park. Take a night audit job at a motel sleep in day use areas if you need extra rest. All you really need is a comfortable place to sleep. Almost any hybrid vehicle can provide enough space to do that. A bare bones van can also but heating and cooling can take a lot of space and be problematic. If you are teaching remotely hit the library for a private work station maybe. Search the forum for old posts but make sure you can still make it work where you live. I taught and drove a school bus living for months at a time in the school bus drivers parking. Got use of the facilities but also school employees got reduced rates at the YMCA just down the street so walk, sauna and shower daily then get a salad at the restaurant on the way back. Weekends headed out to the lake at the State Park or local camping trips. Campground host, volunteer in visitor centers in National Parks in the summer or do some seasonal work at a location of your liking! It is all about living simply like full time backpacking with benefits!

Hello,

Welcome. I have found that being close to a freshwater source(s) to refill is good. Also a place to dump the wastes for free. I have a grey and black tank. Wish the place I dump at was closer or in the same city I boondock when working remotely. But it's all good. It works out because the driving to and from - alternator charges the house battery back to 100%

For me parking at community centers, official county park parking lots, marked public parking spaces/lots. There is street near a creek i like parking at. So I a have a few spots. One of the spot there is a class c and a trailer I always see there. But they move around too in that same street.

It really helps that the city you are in the police won't hassle you-us, van lifers.

And it's good to not be long term. For me it's two, three night tops at the same spot before finding another (known) place within the same city.

Hi there! I have lived in a camper before but that was mostly with hookups in a campground. I'm in the city now looking for tips. I teach English, love to read, hike, draw, and work out. Cheers!
Great to have other teachers here. welcome!