Deciding on an Astro: Cargo van Passenger

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Classica

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm currently planning an Astro van build and having the hardest time deciding whether to shoot for a cargo or passenger model. I suppose I should give some basic clarifications to begin with:

1: regardless of the model, I'm planning on eventually installing a camper style high top that can fit a bed over the cabin. I want a short van (for the parking benefits) and this kind of high top just makes sense if you can afford it. Overhead bed and extra storage can really free up the floor plan!

2: I'm already well aware that the cargo model will be much better for wall installation, as ribs and lack of windows allow for easier insulation/reflectix and paneling(I should clarify, though, that I live in Florida and plan to almost exclusively stay in the southeast. I'm not even sure if I'm gonna insulate at all)

SO, with that out of the way... there are some design advantages to both that I really want:

The passenger model has windows(who doesn't want a good view?!) and I really like the trifolding rear doors. The back window that raises up is actually integral to an outdoor shower idea I'm wanting to do. Something could be finagled with the cargo model's double doors, but not nearly as cleanly

The cargo model has way less windows, but very utilitarian wall space that's easier to work with. Secondly, it has that cage wall behind the cabin seats that looks like it could be really really really useful for a lot of storage ideas, as well as a little extra support for the over-cabin bunk.

I'm wondering if it's possible to take the doors off a passenger model and put them on a cargo Astro... Or maybe get the cage door from a cargo and install it in a passenger model! Anyone know if that's possible?

Also, long shot question, but is there ANY company that could make a pop top like you see on those "Tiger Provan" Astro chassis class B's? I'm probably gonna go for a fixed pop top, but it's hard to deny just how cool that extended pop top is

Anyways, I appreciate any input you wonderful folk can give me on this. Especially people currently dwelling in Astros

Mr Classica said:
Alright, so I'm currently planning an Astro van build and having the hardest time deciding whether to shoot for a cargo or passenger model.
H'mmm... well how much work do you want to do, and what are your capabilities ? I've done many a commercial "van conversion" over the years and frankly, to do things 'right', you have to have a great understanding how wood ply panels can be bowed, how gaps and corners can be filled to look right, and on top of that, a whole lot of interior upholstery knowledge. Unless of course you plan to fill all the cracks with shag carpet like was done in the '70's or look at spray foam bulging out like so many we see posted.

People can actually save a great deal of time by choosing a window van because there are already some formidable upholstered "panels" that cover the walls and doors and they are trimmed out by the various molded/curvy parts already filling the gaps.

Look at it this way. All you need to do is remove a few screws and clips, pull the existing interior panels, insulate, then put the panels back in place with the fasteners you took loose. That insulates a great portion of the van.

When it comes to windows, you can insulate those areas by creating some window "plugs". Cut some templates with cardboard (or when you have the window trim out for insulation, you can use that opening as a template), then cut "plugs" out of whatever thickness of pink or blue foam you would like to use. You can pick and choose WHERE you personally want windows or "peep holes" of any shape or size into the foam.

If you paint or upholster the outer facing side black, when it is pushed up against window tint, it will just look black like it is all tinted. On the inside, you can upholster with whatever material you would like. Your personally located window openings can be fitted out numerous ways and include roll up shades, curtains or whatever..

So, a window van is almost done inside by comparison, and frankly, you can find Astro window vans a lot easier than cargo's.

I am in complete agreement with Grummy, a lot of work to do to get the interior of a cargo van ready for the road. With a window van you can make some window coverings. Put in your bed and whatever cabinets you desire and hit the road. Solar panels and battery can also be portables if you want. Less money needed for the conversion and that gives you more money to put towards savings for that high top.

Speaking for my own preferences I have had enough years of being in spaces that have few to no windows to look out of. But of course I would not turn down a cargo van if a low miles cargo Astro at a low price showed up. I would jump on it in a flash no matter if it did not have a lot of windows or a 3 section rear door. I am adaptable, I don't require perfection in all things. I just need that 80% of the way there works out much better than the average result one tends to get.

Since they don't make them anymore, the selection of Astro vans of either type is constantly decreasing. So I think the first priority would be finding a good, solid, relatively low-mileage one — cargo or passenger.

"So I think the first priority would be finding a good, solid, relatively low-mileage one — cargo or passenger."

x2, good luck with that.

highdesertranger

@MobyT
Thank you! I'll be checking that out for sure

@grummy
Actually, around where I live, I'd say there's 2 cargo models for every passenger Astro I see for sale. That said, you're really selling me on the passenger van over the cargo... So thanks haha. And who doesn't love shag? Lol

@MrNoodly
Yeah, I'm not spoiled for choice here! But good condition and reasonable miles are a must