Decent mattress?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myke

Reaction score
Thinking of getting this mattress, cutting it down a bit narrower, and putting it on a wooden platform...

6-Inch Memory Foam

It's relatively cheap... Anyone use one?

Unsupported memory foam might not do well with slats. Normally there is a base foam that is more rigid glued to the memory foam. I would investigate this further before I committed to slats.

Personally, I have had dozens of RVs and the beds were all solid plywood. Never had a mildew or mold problem at all. I guess it depends on ones location; I am in the West Coast where it's drier.

Yeah I'm too worried about the mildew issue... I can always drill holes in the plywood for more airflow...

I am thinking about this mattress as well:
Mattress #2

myke said:
Yeah I'm too worried about the mildew issue... I can always drill holes in the plywood for more airflow...

I am thinking about this mattress as well:
Mattress #2

There are many different grades of foam, both base foam and memory foam.  I bought the 5 pound 4 inch memory foam on a high density 5 inch base foam.  I was so pleased after sleeping on this bed I now sleep every night in the van and have not slept in the house for over one year.  My cat now has the bedroom all to herself.

Check out The Foam Factory for more details.    Good value to be had there and free shipping too.

BTW, the 5 pound memory foam is not soft, so if you like a soft bed, buy the lesser grade.

I wish there was a way to try out different mattresses before buying. I am looking at buying a tri-fold mattress. My base is a plywood platform with another plywood section that pulls out. The plywood will have a few holes in it for air circulation. Humidity is a factor in New England.

My problem is all the toxicity in mattresses... unless it's organic cotton and/or wool there is something bad in it...

myke said:
My problem is all the toxicity in mattresses... unless it's organic cotton and/or wool there is something bad in it...

Same here, Myke. The smell of off-gassing in some products is powerful and makes me sick.

FuManchu said:
Same here, Myke.  The smell of off-gassing in some products is powerful and makes me sick.

Between myself, and the cat we do plenty of off gassing ourselves.   :blush:  Talk about toxic.  Fantastic  fan to the rescue!  :cool:

OP here... I think I found my mattress solution... 100% natural latex...

Latest posts