DC-DC converters to avoid running inverter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZacLee

Reaction score
I found this forum after reading Jessica Bruder's Nomadland.  

There are commercial DC-DC converters available that allow most small electronics (laptops, tablets, etc.) to be run without using an inverter.  Using a DC-DC converter is usually substantially more efficient than an inverter and AC power adapter. 

Lind makes a variety of very robust DC-DC converter designed for most laptops and a variety of other electronics.  You only need to match the input and output voltages to your devices.  Higher output current rated converters can also run devices that require less current (amperage).  So, it is better to have a higher rated converter as it can run multiple devices or a more power hungry laptop in the future.  And it would even more convenient if you managed to find one with the matching plug for your laptop.  

ICT also makes excellent DC-DC converters, but most of these are higher wattage units designed to convert to 13.8V (auto voltage with engine running), 28V (standard aircraft voltage), or 48V (phone company and network gear voltage)

Some laptop manufacturers also make their own DC-DC converter designed for car use.  These converters are often available on ebay for a small fraction of the list price.    For reliability and safety, I prefer the brand name DC-DC converter to generic models.

Note: Moderator edit to remove links per rule: no links to any outside source until member has at least 10 subtantive posts (paraphased)

ZacLee said:
I found this forum after reading Jessica Bruder's Nomadland.  

There are commercial DC-DC converters available that allow most small electronics (laptops, tablets, etc.) to be run without using an inverter.  Using a DC-DC converter is usually substantially more efficient than an inverter and AC power adapter. 

Lind makes a variety of very robust DC-DC converter designed for most laptops and a variety of other electronics.  You only need to match the input and output voltages to your devices.  Higher output current rated converters can also run devices that require less current (amperage).  So, it is better to have a higher rated converter as it can run multiple devices or a more power hungry laptop in the future.  And it would even more convenient if you managed to find one with the matching plug for your laptop.  

ICT also makes excellent DC-DC converters, but most of these are higher wattage units designed to convert to 13.8V (auto voltage with engine running), 28V (standard aircraft voltage), or 48V (phone company and network gear voltage)

Some laptop manufacturers also make their own DC-DC converter designed for car use.  These converters are often available on ebay for a small fraction of the list price.    For reliability and safety, I prefer the brand name DC-DC converter to generic models.

Yeah, I looked at the lind electronics ones, they seem a little spendy.  I'm hoping I can jerry-rig something cheaper, for my laptop. 
It seems weird, because I'm pretty sure that the battery is 12v. So, a charger should be easy to rig.

Good topic!

Thanks,

Pat

Mod edit: removed links in quote.

The purpose-built car charger from the laptop vendor is IMO as good quality as anyone needs, and far pricier than a DIYer with good google-foo can put together.

Some of these units cost more than most of the laptops we own!

But there are many factors involved, products to match every niche.

Besides polarity and tip profile, make sure to check watts capacity.

Some bigger laptops out there burn a lot more power while gaming or editing video than I'd want to run through a ciggie port on an ongoing basis.

I found some of brand name DC-DC converters on ebay for as little as $10. I purchased several Lind units (new, in original box) over the years for between $10 and $30 each. If you you need an output voltage not provided by these off the shelf units and are willing to do some soldering and drill a few holes, there are also DC-DC modules made by companies such as Vicor which are also available inexpensively on ebay. The brand name models are generally better quality than the generic converter from vendors in china.

Also, keep in mind that these DC-DC converters can be directly wired to your batteries and do not have to go through the cigarette lighter plug.

I always removed the cig plug from laptop adapters and wired them straight to my battery. Those plugs WILL fail and do it in a way that generates heat which is potentially dangerous or at the very least damaging to the socket they're plugged into.

I'm currently running my gaming laptop and monitor through this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4109JD/

It's generic so I don't know how it will hold up long term but it looks rather robust. They have a smaller $20 version that will power most laptops and tvs. There seems to be a much wider selection of tvs made for 19v than there is for 12v.

I prefer the DC-DC converter than are in metal enclosures.    For DC power connectors, the Powerpole connectors are pretty good and that is what I use.  They come in several amperage capacities and in several colors so it is easy to color code for voltage.  Powerwerx offers parts kits and crimp tools.   There are newer connector designs that have better retention mechanisms and weather proofing features, but the Powerpole connectors are fine for indoo/vehicular use and I have not had problems with them coming apart in a vehicle from vibration.  

The cigarette lighter plugs are a poor design and can overheat easily, especially with heavier loads (more than a few amps).  They are also bulky.  For example, the powerpole connectors are compact enough that 2-3 powerpole receptacles will fit into the space of a single cigarette lighter receptacle.

For example:

chassis-mount-for-2-powerpole-connectors-sets-4-conductors_580.jpg

Boost Transformer Reducto linked to is what I use and FWIW it's not a bad idea to add a fuse if your hard wiring.

+1 for Anderson connectors once past 10A current

Blue Sea has a nice socket design that twist-locks with the matching plug, but will also accept standard ciggie plugs for smaller (<10A) loads.

Also the BMW/ Hella/ Merit/ Powerlet "Euro-style DIN" (ISO 4165) style is very robust.

Many laptops have some kind of ID chip in the charger, so you can't use a universal DC-DC converter. Dell and Lenovo are two brands that do this.

You can buy 'car chargers' for just about any laptop made over the last 10 to 20 years.

BTW all of these things (laptop chargers, DC-DC converters, and inverters) generate a lot of nearby RF hash on HF, VHF and sometimes UHF.....just the nature of the beast.

I have a car charger for my MacBook. I've even done post on my blog about how silly it is to convert DC to AC and back to DC. But, silly me, I still end up using the power brick with the inverter to charge the laptop because it's easier with the way my van is set up. I need to charge the phone, the JetPack, and the camera battery too, so I'm using the inverter anyway. It's on the wall right by my "desk" whereas the closest DC outlet is just out of reach. Oh, sure, I could install a DC outlet close at hand, but I'm lazy.

I think its smart to minimize conversion/inversion, and most current appliances are smart enough to take only the amperage they need, but I’d hate to fry a connection or an ipad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tx2sturgis said:
You can buy 'car chargers' for just about any laptop made over the last 10 to 20 years.

BTW all of these things (laptop chargers, DC-DC converters, and inverters) generate a lot of nearby RF hash on HF, VHF and sometimes UHF.....just the nature of the beast.

According to Samuel Milham, an environmental health guru, inverters & A/C current are bad.  If we stay with D/C, you're doing much better.  Check out his book, "Dirty Electricty", http://www.sammilham.com/

Here is my question.  I believe most laptops run DC and that's why the cord has on inverter to convert between AC/DC?

I am new here and to living in a van.  If I want to run my laptop off the car battery, were do I start if I don't want an inverter because converting DC to AC and back to DC does not make sense to me, for health and efficiency reasons?

just do a search, car charger for such and such lap top. they are very common you won't have a problem finding one. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
just do a search,   car charger for such and such lap top.  they are very common you won't have a problem finding one.  highdesertranger

Sorry, I searched for "car charger" & I don't see the answer to my question?   Looking for a way to skip the inverter?

Here is a link to what my laptop cord looks like but I don't appove the of the inverter on the cord, why convert AC to DC when the sorce is DC from my rig?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter...rt-LED-HD-TV-Power-Charger-Cord-/351490597549

Ralph Furley said:
Sorry, I searched for "car charger" & I don't see the answer to my question?   Looking for a way to skip the inverter?

Here is a link to what my laptop cord looks like but I don't appove the of the inverter on the cord, why convert AC to DC when the sorce is DC from my rig?  
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter...rt-LED-HD-TV-Power-Charger-Cord-/351490597549

Will this work, my Sony VAIO laptop is a different model, VGN-NS110E?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-VAI...op-Power-DC-Adapter-Car-Charger-/361824593202

ZacLee said:
I prefer the DC-DC converter than are in metal enclosures.    For DC power connectors, the Powerpole connectors are pretty good and that is what I use.  They come in several amperage capacities and in several colors so it is easy to color code for voltage.  Powerwerx offers parts kits and crimp tools.   There are newer connector designs that have better retention mechanisms and weather proofing features, but the Powerpole connectors are fine for indoo/vehicular use and I have not had problems with them coming apart in a vehicle from vibration.  

The cigarette lighter plugs are a poor design and can overheat easily, especially with heavier loads (more than a few amps).  They are also bulky.  For example, the powerpole connectors are compact enough that 2-3 powerpole receptacles will fit into the space of a single cigarette lighter receptacle.

For example:

chassis-mount-for-2-powerpole-connectors-sets-4-conductors_580.jpg
I had never seen something like this?  This is superior to the traditional car cigarette plug?  Will this fit?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-POWE...623127?hash=item1e777bd557:g:jgIAAMXQLs5Rw7gb