Day 0

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirKarnage

Reaction score
Hello All,
   I titled this thread as "Day 0" as the search for my dream dwelling vehicle still eludes me.
I have a vision in my head but cannot find the right rig. A Step Van, 20ft cargo, barn door, diesel pushing beast (that I can afford).
I currently live in Ohio, and would be on the road to warmer climates out west as soon I could, like the day after I finished the build... If I even slept that night.
I do have a lot of learning, reading, understanding to do as my career path is anything but "mechanical" or "building".
I will be posting threads in various locations, asking advice and assistance, hope not to offend anyone or break any rules.
The search continues.
Reese

Hi SirKarnage and welcome! We took off before our build was even started...NOT recommended unless you have a high stress level tolerance. Would I do it again the same way? Hell ya! Would she? Nahhhh... Best of luck in your search and in any adventures that follow.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Reese! We're here to answer any questions that you have and help where we can. Good luck with your search!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome aboard Reese!
Whenever you need guidance just ask.

Welcome!
I am at Day 1 (got a van, but still a lot to learn and a lot to build).

This forum is absolutely great!

Welcome to the CRLV   :) 

Let me run this by you in your search for an ideal rig.  

Many of us have elected to start out with a Cargo Van for their flexibility both as a facility to live in or out of and their ease of use on the road.  

My first was a short wheel base Ford Econoline Van with a standard roof.  I was much younger and more able to move around in it bent over.   Since those days I've moved up to a high top extended Ford Van that I can stand up in with head room and extra interior room. 

Basically I had a bed in the back, storage under it, a cabinet with cooking top and a sink and mounted to one of the doors of it was a folding table.  I had a 5 gallon jeep jug (plastic) for water and an ice chest of about 45 qt capacity.  In the very back I had a small dome light that could be switched on and off at the light. My electrical needs were all tied to the one 12 volt battery of he Van. The floor had thin ply wood fixed to it and indoor outdoor carpet laid on that.  The carpet was a nylon short pile foam backed type that was comfortable, sound deadening, and easy to clean.

This is showcased in the first link below. 

My Dad later purchased a Class C RV and we used it a lot,  but I found the Van he had started with and given to me to be simpler, less conspicuous if I were to sleep in it on a parking lot, (stealth) and if I needed to remove the interior of it to shift back to a Cargo Van for haul something,  I had that option. (then reinstall the camping interior again later)  I've been sold on this system ever since.  Dad was always working on that Class C for some reason.  (and it was a "quality" vehicle that he had done extensive research on before purchasing)

If you were to try this way of going on the road for a first time out trial and decide it isn't for you,  you could always pull your interior out of it,  sell the Van, and put the interior on Craig's List (I'm sure you'd find an eager buyer) But the experience would serve as a "shake down" trip and you'd have a much better idea of the way you would want to  approach this life style.

The second link below is a portal of handy info for planning and navigating the challenges of being on your own, away from home, with just your rig and your wits.   Not a place where people lacking some mechanical/electrical skills, people skills, and especially outdoor skills for their survival need to go jumping into blind.  While talking about this stuff on a message board is nice and all, the "real world" may not be as full of helpful people willing to offer free assistance. 

With all of this said,  the Van wins, in my opinion, as a rig that a first timer can get some experience with and if he/she doesn't like it or it's just too much for them.....they can liquidate quickly and get out of the game.