Daring? Or just naive...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
Hello, Everyone. This is my first post besides my self-introduction and the replies in that thread.

I've given notice to vacate my apartment no later than May 31st. That's my 'launch' into a van-dwelling lifestyle. It's been a casual dream of mine for a long time and I'm very excited to imagine my new life! That said, as my time in this rented apartment draws to an end, I'm feeling more anxious about launch. It seems that they've already rented my apartment so I can't rescind my notice to vacate. Come what may, May 31st is launch.

I haven't decided upon a place to hangout for a while, so 'where' is an unanswered question. Lots of possibilities from which to choose, but maybe too many. I feel overwhelmed about choosing one place to begin. I understand there's generally a 14-day/25-mile restriction on dispersed camping on public lands so it seems like I should have at least 2 places in mind for starters. Telling myself that it doesn't really matter that much, that if the first place isn't a good fit, I can just find another... well, that doesn't comfort me as much as I wish it did.

I don't have a lot of technology to rely upon -- just a cell phone with a 4-gig data plan on Verizon. Is that likely enough bandwidth or should I think about getting more? Should I aim for a laptop sooner rather than later, or is that mostly useless unless I'm in town and on wifi?

No idea about how much water to keep on hand. Do I plan for a 14-day stretch in the wild? Or are visits to town within the 14-day window a common practice?

I don't have a 110v power system so no typical household appliances to buffer the transition (e.g., no mini-fridge, no lamps, no fan, humidifier, crock-pot, etc.), and I wonder how much food I should keep... whether I need a cooler to keep it, or whether there are non-perishable foodstuff to last a couple weeks. It seems a cooler would need to be refilled with ice at least every 3-4 days or so but I don't know.

I have a dog that I can't imagine living without, whether on or off the road. That said, I know that I won't have the freedom that non-pet van-dwellers enjoy and I wonder how much of that lost freedom impacts the overall sense of the lifestyle changes I imagine. Being out in a dry-camping spot isn't an issue (well, except for wildlife hazards? snakes? scorpions? coyote? bear?), but what do I do when I need to go to a store during the daytime? I can't very well leave her in the car. Do I limit my store visits to nighttime, when there's less danger of heat (and of being reported by some well-meaning stranger)? What about medical situations? What do I do with my dog while I'm at a doctor office, getting a tooth pulled, or having a spell in the emergency room? Given that I'm traveling alone, there isn't another person who can watch over my pet if I should need a daytime appointment for medical reasons and I do have a few things that I need to take care of sooner rather than later (but that won't happen before launch).

This is embarrassing to admit but I don't have any tools (well, ok, a couple screwdrivers, a pair of vice-grips, and a rubber mallet... might as well say I don't have any lol), so what happens if I experience van trouble on the road, or even worse, along some dry-camping spot back along a forest road where I may not have a cell signal even to call for help? Should I plan on stealth camping in walmart parking lots until i can get a set of tools? And a cooler? And a laptop? And a separate battery setup with an inverter so I can rely on a few household items?

I know, these are probably all best understood as rhetorical questions. Or maybe not? I know that ultimately I've got to forge my own path on this lifestyle. Maybe I've already bitten off more than is sensible for a first-timer's launch into van-dwelling. Should I get a hat that says "Noob" and make a new profile picture here?

These are just a few of the nagging thoughts that plague me. I don't imagine I'm the only person to embark upon this lifestyle without having all my ducks in a row (or am I?). Am I over-thinking it? Maybe these are just last-minute jitters?

Harsh truths, if applicable, are welcome. I need a reality check here, even if it stings a little :)

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up some basic tools... even just $20 will get you this at HD:

8cd19372-2d4a-4dcf-b70b-adc8e6de6e1d_400.jpg

One strategy might be to start with cheap stuff and if it turns out that you use it enough to break it, replace with a piece of better quality...

First of all what you are feeling is perfectly natural and I think most people feel the same way whenever they're making a radical change in their life.

Second you may not think that you're well prepared but you're actually in very good shape. You have a nice van and a reliable monthy income. Everything else will fall into place as you discover what you want and need. Don't rush it. In the excitement of the moment it's easy to buy stuff that will not work for your situation. You'll probably want to get a solar system set up eventually so that you can have a fridge, fans and all of the other things that make life comfortable.

I second heading to the RTR in Flagstaff. It's a nice area in the forest but near enough to town if you need things. Plus you'll have lots of other van dwellers to help you if you need it.

We don't have a dog but many of the forum members do and they just take their animals when they have to go to the store. Shop when it's cooler and leave the windows opened a bit. This is such a great community of giving people. If you have an emergency and you need someone to watch your dog you can post it on the forums and most likely someone will be able to help you.

4 gigs of data is plenty as long as you don't stream videos. You'll be able to get internet at 90% of the boondocking spots unless you go way back into the boonies. Check the boondocking section for more information on good places to stay. There are so many that you'll never run out of camping spots.

Richard said:
...I don't have a lot of technology to rely upon -- just a cell phone with a 4-gig data plan on Verizon. Is that likely enough bandwidth or should I think about getting more? Should I aim for a laptop sooner rather than later, or is that mostly useless unless I'm in town and on wifi? ...

First, welcome to the forum.

I have both a small laptop (2-in-1 tablet) and a smart phone. To save energy, while in camp, I use my smart phone for just about everything. The phone consumes much less electricity than my laptop. I'm online a lot; so, to stay below my 5GB limit, I avoid watching any videos or opening any large photos when connected to my Verizon data plan. I understand that interactive games also use a lot of data.

I do take advantage of free wifi when in town (at fast food joints and coffee shops), especially if I want to watch a video.

I don't mind the small screen on my smart phone. But, typing on it is the biggest hassel for me. So, I will crack open the laptop if I want type anything long.

To figure out if your phone would work for you, I'd suggest that you limit yourself to just that device before you hit the road. That way you'll know if a smart phone will be good enough for your uses.

The best to you as you plan and prepare.

Suanne ... who used her laptop to type this post :)

Queen said:
You're picking a great time to start, Bob is having another RTR just a couple of weeks after you launch: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/  Could be the perfect way to get going.
tonyandkaren said:
I second heading to the RTR in Flagstaff. It's a nice area in the forest but near enough to town if you need things.

Ooh, that's a great idea! Timing couldn't be better for me. Thank you both for mentioning RTR!

BradKW said:
...pick up some basic tools. ... One strategy might be to start with cheap stuff and if it turns out that you use it enough to break it, replace with a piece of better quality.

I like that idea, Brad. Thank you!

tonyandkaren said:
...you may not think that you're well prepared but you're actually in very good shape. ... Everything else will fall into place as you discover what you want and need. Don't rush it. In the excitement of the moment it's easy to buy stuff that will not work for your situation.

Agreed. To buy based on my experience rather than trying to anticipate possible wants/needs makes much more sense. Thank you!

tonyandkaren said:
4 gigs of data is plenty as long as you don't stream videos. You'll be able to get internet at 90% of the boondocking spots unless you go way back into the boonies. Check the boondocking section for more information on good places to stay. There are so many that you'll never run out of camping spots.
Suanne said:
...while in camp, I use my smart phone for just about everything.  ...to stay below my 5GB limit, I avoid watching any videos or opening any large photos when connected to my Verizon data plan.  I understand that interactive games also use a lot of data.

To figure out if your phone would work for you, I'd suggest that you limit yourself to just that device before you hit the road.  That way you'll know if a smart phone will be good enough for your uses.

The idea of having Internet in most places is a comforting thought. Giving up videos may prove challenging (*waves bye-bye to endless TED Talks!) so I'll keep a close eye on my data usage. Thank you both for your helpful insights!

Welcome!
 I can relate to everything are saying, I left my house two weeks ago. I can tell u absolutly pre launch is the worst, all those what ifs! Once u are out here u have real concrete things to solve, it's fun:)

UU could.still listen to the one Ted talk a week I love my radio.

Peace, hope to see u at rtr!

Just a tip on the TED talks withdrawal. If you do Amazon & you grab your free month of their Audibles audio book club. You can download all you can of the free stuff during that month & they have a bunch of ted talks I noticed. Listening is offline after that so its data free

You might also find the voice to share some long quiet hours with pleasant. I don't do teds but I do enjoy an hour of a book of an evening...like an old fashioned radio play.

You do get one free pick of a purchase book so you can also grab some nice long 'whatever' to listen to.

I have found I quite enjoy them. I have never owned a TV & not much for radio. Like my stereo...

Sent from my Z850 using Tapatalk

Actually, Tmobile offers "free" streaming video from over 30 providers, YouTube, Netflix and HBgO being a few examples. What "free" means is that they don't count against your data usage limits or throttling. http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/binge...l4jU_bGbXNFpCqw_JOASRoCYSfw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#

It may be that as in the past, Tmobile has forced other cell providers to also offer similar services in order to stay competitive, so worth checking. Well, no point in checking with the evil Verizon, of course...

I love this post as I am also worrying about all these "what if's" and I'm not nearly as close to hitting the road as you are. It sounds like you will do just fine and there is a ton of help and support here.

Everyone's input helped me as well so thanks for posting great questions.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Richard said:
I'LL ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS IN-LINE, IN RED

I feel overwhelmed about choosing one place to begin. I understand there's generally a 14-day/25-mile restriction on dispersed camping on public lands so it seems like I should have at least 2 places in mind for starters. It's easy to find places with different National Forests right beside each other so moving back and forth is easy Telling myself that it doesn't really matter that much, that if the first place isn't a good fit, I can just find another... well, that doesn't comfort me as much as I wish it did. It'll get a lot easier!!!!

I don't have a lot of technology to rely upon -- just a cell phone with a 4-gig data plan on Verizon. Is that likely enough bandwidth or should I think about getting more? Should I aim for a laptop sooner rather than later, or is that mostly useless unless I'm in town and on wifi? Don't be in a hurry to buy everything right now, take your time and once you've done it for awhile the answers will become clear. After a month or two if the phone isn't enough, get a laptop.

No idea about how much water to keep on hand. Do I plan for a 14-day stretch in the wild? Or are visits to town within the 14-day window a common practice? It seems to me that most people go into town often in the beginning--I think it's staying in touch with the familiar. But again, no hurry to decide right now, try it for awhile and it'll become clear what works for you. Bring at least 5 gallons of water--dogs drink a LOT more than you think!! So maybe have a 5 gallon jug and 5 one gallon jugs.

I don't have a 110v power system so no typical household appliances to buffer the transition (e.g., no mini-fridge, no lamps, no fan, humidifier, crock-pot, etc.), and I wonder how much food I should keep... whether I need a cooler to keep it, or whether there are non-perishable foodstuff to last a couple weeks. It seems a cooler would need to be refilled with ice at least every 3-4 days or so but I don't know.

1) Yes, figure on needing ice every 3-5 days. That's a big leap to do without refrigeration. It might be easier to start with it and then get rid of it if it doesn't work for you.
2) GET A 12 VOLT FAN FROM AMAZON OR A TRUCK STOP. That' pretty essential.
3) If you havent already, get a roll of 24 inch reflectix for your windows. 
4) Hard wired LED lights are best, but LED puck lights, lanterns or headlights will work for awhile.  
5) GET A PROPANE STOVE to cook on! Bring easy to make meals you like like canned or boxed mixes. You want one-pot meals you make on the stove top or sandwich material.

I have a dog that I can't imagine living without, whether on or off the road. That said, I know that I won't have the freedom that non-pet van-dwellers enjoy and I wonder how much of that lost freedom impacts the overall sense of the lifestyle changes I imagine. BRING THE DOG-AND LOVE HIM EVERY SECOND!! Being out in a dry-camping spot isn't an issue (well, except for wildlife hazards? snakes? scorpions? coyote? bear?),the risk is real but greatly exaggerated--use reasonable caution  but what do I do when I need to go to a store during the daytime? I can't very well leave her in the car. Do I limit my store visits to nighttime, when there's less danger of heat (and of being reported by some well-meaning stranger)? What about medical situations? What do I do with my dog while I'm at a doctor office, getting a tooth pulled, or be a snowbird and camp where it isn;t that hot. it's easy to do. having a spell in the emergency room? do you have medical problem that make that a realistic risk? Or are you looking for the extremely unlikely problems? Given that I'm traveling alone, there isn't another person who can watch over my pet if I should need a daytime appointment for medical reasons and I do have a few things that I need to take care of sooner rather than later (but that won't happen before launch).

This is embarrassing to admit but I don't have any tools (well, ok, a couple screwdrivers, a pair of vice-grips, and a rubber mallet... might as well say I don't have any lol), so what happens if I experience van trouble on the road, or even worse, along some dry-camping spot back along a forest road where I may not have a cell signal even to call for help? Should I plan on stealth camping in walmart parking lots until i can get a set of tools? And a cooler? And a laptop? And a separate battery setup with an inverter so I can rely on a few household items? This is not going to be nearly as difficult as you think. Get roadside assistance, and for now don't go far the pavement. If you have car problems get it towed in and fixed. It's easy to go where there is a cell signal. 

I know, these are probably all best understood as rhetorical questions. Or maybe not? I know that ultimately I've got to forge my own path on this lifestyle. Maybe I've already bitten off more than is sensible for a first-timer's launch into van-dwelling. Should I get a hat that says "Noob" and make a new profile picture here? NO!! You should be very proud of your courage and boldness to do such a hard thing!!  You could take the easy path and stay home in a rocking chair and wait to die--but instead you are doing a hard, scary and difficult thing to really deeply live. Bravo to you!!!!!!!!

These are just a few of the nagging thoughts that plague me. I don't imagine I'm the only person to embark upon this lifestyle without having all my ducks in a row (or am I?). Am I over-thinking it? Maybe these are just last-minute jitters? All your life you've been brain-washed with fear, so it's to be expected that it will be working double-time now. Nothing wrong with that!! BUT, yes, you are overthinking this!!!! It really is going to be alright, all the little problems have solutions and you will find them!! THE BEST TIMES OF YOUR LIFE, ARE JUST AHEAD OF YOU!!!

Harsh truths, if applicable, are welcome. I need a reality check here, even if it stings a little ::)

When you leave your apartment, you are welcome to drive straight out to my camp near Flagstaff, AZ, and we'll figure all this stuff out together. You won't be the first person, or the last, to do that.
Bob

If you have enough money or a means to make enough money to live on you'll be ok.The romance of being wild and free on the open road can change real quick when you don't have enough money to repair your van or you have to rely on the Salvation Army for a meal.Good Luck.

Yogidog said:
...I left my house two weeks ago. ...pre launch is the worst, all those what ifs! Once u are out here u have real concrete things to solve, it's fun :) Peace, hope to see u at rtr!

Congratulations on 2-weeks! And, yeah, those 'what-ifs' are the worst! I'm looking forward to having real things to solve so I can get out of my head and into reality :) See you at RTR!

Hippiechk said:
Just a tip on the TED talks withdrawal. If you do Amazon & you grab your free month of their Audibles audio book club. You can download all you can of the free stuff during that month & they have a bunch of ted talks I noticed. Listening is offline after that so its data free

The Amazon option sounds like 'an idea worth sharing' :)  Thank you!

BradKW said:
Tmobile offers "free" streaming video from over 30 providers, YouTube, Netflix and HBgO being a few examples.

Looks like a great offer, Brad. Not sure I'm ready to switch from Verizon just yet, but I'm definitely interested in that kind of service. Thank you for mentioning it!

Cheli said:
I love this post as I am also worrying about all these "what if's" ...

The general consensus in reply to my worries seems to be that, yes, I do have some legitimate concerns and, double-yes, I'm probably over-thinking things: "It's what I do!" :) I hope the many helpful replies so far help you to feel a bit less worried about some things -- they sure have me feeling calmer about launch.

WheelEstate USA said:
Richard...You can't go wrong coming out for summer RTR. So many wonderful folks and tons of great info. ... Look forward to meeting you.

I'm so looking forward to my first RTR! Eager to meet you all, too :)

Bob Dickerson said:
The romance of being wild and free on the open road can change real quick when you don't have enough money ... Good Luck.

Point taken. Thank you.

Last, but not least... akrvbob:

Wow, that's one comprehensive reply! Thank you. I'm especially grateful for your invitation to visit. I'd like that very much.

Back in 2013, I got the idea for, decided to, and bought a, $800 van to live in over about a week. Ill never regret that... I dove in head first... Glad I did.

Hello,  I've had 3 vans just for transportation and camping, also 6 or 7 travel trailers, large tents, a  pick up camper on a flatbed trailer, 2 pop up trailers, and a 18ft tipi.   Some I lived in and some I used to camp in.   With all of this I've never lived off grid in a van or anything else........and I don't think it's foolish to wonder.....WHAT THE HELL AM I THINKING...CAN I DO THIS?  That's me giving myself a good talkin' to......and yes I yell at myself quite often.

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and this is  the place to get many questions answered and support for your new home on wheels lifestyle as I'm sure you've figured out.

Now about food....that's a concern of mine due to diabetes, and high blood pressure  and I love to cook, supported myself doing just that for many years.

For myself I sat down and made a list of what I like to eat that required no refrigeration and no or little cooking and wouldn't have a lot of leftovers.......this included spam, veinna sausage, tuna, ritz crackers, saltines, nuts, fruits, raisins and  canned ravioli, roast beef hash, soup,even canned green beans, also peanut butter and honey.....Once I realized I wouldn't starve to death I became a lot calmer    :D   I know some of these items wouldn't suit others these are just a few of my preferences.

Hey don't forget toothbrush, toothpaste, toilet paper, a bucket and a shovel!    :p  

I think you'll be just fine.......as I'm older than dirt I know these things.

Happy Travels          Jewellann and Queenie aka Killer the untrained attack chihuahua

Congratulations on taking the leap! Everyone here will help ... I haven't taken the leap yet but when I do, it will be with the knowledge that there are people here, on CRVL that will help anyway they can.

It's the most remarkable feeling!

steamjam1 said:
Back in 2013, I got the idea for, decided to, and bought a, $800 van to live in over about a week. Ill never regret that... I dove in head first... Glad I did.

Great to hear. I look forward to a day when I can look back on this time with a similar 'no regrets; glad I did it' memory. Thank you!

Tjaybird said:
...I sat down and made a list of what I like to eat that required no refrigeration and no or little cooking and wouldn't have a lot of leftovers.......this included spam, veinna sausage, tuna, ritz crackers, saltines, nuts, fruits, raisins and  canned ravioli, roast beef hash, soup,even canned green beans, also peanut butter and honey.....Once I realized I wouldn't starve to death I became a lot calmer ... I think you'll be just fine.......as I'm older than dirt I know these things.

I'm with you on the 'no fridge/no cooking/no leftovers' thing. I'd totally accommodate that mode if I could but there are a few perishables that I don't want to give up so... a cooler for now, and maybe when I've gotten thoroughly sick of the ice-runs, an accessory power system to accommodate a small fridge. Time will tell. Oh, and I love that your advice stems from an 'older than dirt' perspective! :) Thank you!

RV-Hopeful said:
Congratulations on taking the leap!  Everyone here will help ... I haven't taken the leap yet but when I do, it will be with the knowledge that there are people here, on CRVL that will help anyway they can.

It's the most remarkable feeling!

Thank you very much. I look forward to being here when you take your leap, too! It must be a 'tribe vibe' thing :)

Having a fantastik fan in the roof and enough power to run it will be pretty key in actually keeping your dog from overheating when he/she needs to reside inside alone and locked up.

Some who are loathe to put a hole in their roof could have a powerful intake in the floor or something and push cool air inward, as long as the air could be forced out weasily too. the auto vent shades one can put over the front roll down windows to keep the windows cracked could be this passive exhaust.

I always thought I'd hang an Obvious large thermometer visible to do gooders to show them that my van gets no hotter inside than outside of it with enough ventilation and reflectix on the sunny side windows. If I had a pet inside. But this concern is part of the reason I do not have a Dog. I imagine some do gooders would never see the thermometer and just get themselves all riled up, and worked into a tizzy of indignation, as such a mindset seems to be more prevalent these days.

SternWake said:
Having a fantastik fan in the roof and enough power to run it will be pretty key in actually keeping your dog from overheating when he/she needs to reside inside alone and locked up.

Some who are loathe to put a hole in their roof could have a powerful intake in the floor or something and push cool air inward, as long as the air could be forced out weasily too.  the auto vent shades one can put over the front roll down windows to keep the windows cracked could be this passive exhaust.

I always thought I'd hang an Obvious large thermometer visible to do gooders to show them that my van gets no hotter inside than outside of it with enough ventilation and reflectix on the sunny side windows.  If I had a pet inside.  But this concern is part of the reason I do not have a Dog.  I imagine some do gooders would never see the thermometer and just get themselves all riled up, and worked into a tizzy of indignation, as such a mindset seems to be more prevalent these days.

Very helpful insights. Thank you!

I haven't begun any renovations but I have a few ideas for the roof that need some sorting out:
  • Solar panels.
  • Fan.
  • Moonroof/window.
I have no idea whether all three can be done to the same vehicle but I'd like to give it a go eventually. The moonroof comes from my tent-stays a few years ago. I was lucky enough to have a tent with a screened roof, and to be camping in areas where it almost never rained. Falling asleep with a generous view of clear night sky, absent any significant light-pollution, was an amazing experience that I'd love to recreate within the van.

My dog will be 8-years old soon. I've had her since she was too young to be separated from her mom (seller's deception, not my preference). Though it was my then girlfriend who bought this little furry friend, when we parted ways she couldn't take our pet with her and I had already grown quite fond of she who bears the name "Bagel"

At this point, I can't imagine not having her around, despite the obvious limitations that her presence implies. Guess I'm a sucker for love, huh? :)