Curtains and window coverings[split] I would love a...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sofisintown

Reaction score
I sewed some curtains for the front today.
Blackout blue on the driving side, and lighter stripes on the 'house' side.

I also made some window shades, that I will cover with fabric. Black outside, and color inside.
Progress!
IMG_20201006_163059_01sm.jpgIMG_20201006_133445752_HDR (2).jpgIMG_20201006_191954_01.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201006_163059_01sm.jpg
    IMG_20201006_163059_01sm.jpg
    597.6 KB
  • IMG_20201006_133445752_HDR (2).jpg
    IMG_20201006_133445752_HDR (2).jpg
    530.3 KB
  • IMG_20201006_191954_01.jpg
    IMG_20201006_191954_01.jpg
    493.8 KB
Thank you! I got that bolt of fabric 8 years ago as a close-out from a Walmart that relocated. $1 a yard.
I made lots of stuff out of it, and I still have some left!

Sofisintown said:
I also made some window shades, that I will cover with fabric. Black outside, and color inside.
I made window coverings from reflectix. The Savana rear windows have a rim that the coverings slide into, and which holds them firmly in place. Then I glued blackout curtain bought from walmart on one side using Scotch Super77 spray adhesive. I can flip the coverings so black side out for "stealth", and reflectix side out for hot sunny days.

Nice curtains, Sofi!  I sure miss Walmart's $1 fabrics.  I'd love to know if you ever come up with a good way to "tack" the side edges to the van walls.  I just tuck mine in a little at the front seat sides, but it annoys me a little.  Snaps have been suggested, but I don't like making holes.

Thanks VanFan, I like them too! These are double curtains, so they are hefty enough to tuck to the sides without much protest. The posts are plastic on the sides, and I could put some Velcro there if needed.
I do have snaps that screw in the metal if I needed to use them, but I don't think it's necessary.

Qxxx said:
I can flip the coverings so black side out for "stealth", and reflectix side out for hot sunny days.

I can't really flip the covers, because no two windows are the same. Even the back windows have the latch in opposite place, and one side right angle (almost) the other skewed. :s

In the Savana, the 2 rear side door windows are different sizes but symmetrical, so you can flip the covers. Also the rear door windows are mirror-images, so fliperoo. OTOH, I have enough reflectix left over to make a 2nd set of covers with no blackouts.

Double curtains are good.  My front curtains are insulated black out curtains from Walmart, lined with blue fabric (Walmart $1 :) ) to match the interior.  They are at least 10 years old, and have held up well.  Since they were longer than needed, I hemmed them in reverse and sewed pocket divisions in the hem.  I keep a lot of stuff in them!

I have not had good luck with any Velcro sticking for long (Command hooks either).  I do use Velcro One Wraps for tie backs on all three pairs of curtains.  My pillars are upholstered, and I've thought about using office cubicle hooks/clips, but the need has not been that great:  https://www.officesupply.com/office...zers-holders/cubicle-hooks-clips/c113222.html