CT ceiling in nose, cutting insulation, angle,how?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blmkid

Reaction score
Easiest way to cut the angle? I can't make a piece of box cardboard to fit for a template. PIA doing it upside down. My brain doesn't function upside down.
resized_ct_celing.png

Attachments

• resized_ct_celing.png
    resized_ct_celing.png
    499.1 KB · Views: 28
i've had pretty good luck using heavy aluminum foil or brown kraft paper for templates in tricky areas

Taping together several pages of the newspaper will give a cheap template.
Measuring out the shape, transfer to the template. Leave extra as you fine tune the shape to exact fit. Test fit as you go, till desired results are achieved.
If you mess up, add extra paper and tape, and re do.

highdesertranger said:
measuring tape?  highdesertranger
yes. ok. my mind is picturing how to do it then. I could get some newspaper and practice. Am I on the right track?

gargoyle said:
Taping together several pages of the newspaper will give a cheap template.
Measuring out the shape, transfer to the template. Leave extra as you fine tune the shape to exact fit. Test fit as you go, till desired results are achieved.
If you mess up, add extra paper and tape, and re do.
ok. good. I'm getting the picture. thanks!

mayble said:
i've had pretty good luck using heavy aluminum foil or brown kraft paper for templates in tricky areas

Good idea. Thanks!

Didn't have left over sheet large enough to do it, tried to do half and pressure fit it
resized_insulate_project.png

But..a territorial dispute ensued. I was out numbered by 2,000 to 1. Twenty mini-ninja's attacked me, only one bit me. I retaliated with non flammable napalm. 
ant_attack_resized.png

Will go to town Monday and buy a full sheet. It's the Week-end. Peace. Out.

Attachments

• ant_attack_resized.png
    ant_attack_resized.png
    654.8 KB · Views: 19
  • resized_insulate_project.png
    resized_insulate_project.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 80
My industrial designer son showed me a trick when I was building my van... Depending upon the complexity and size, take painters tape and stick it around whatever you will be butting up against. Gently lift the tape and set it down on the material you are cutting. Using the tape as the template, draw a line on the material on the edge of the tape and then just cut away! Often easier than dealing with kraft paper or cardboard templates.

Artsyguy said:
take painters tape and stick it around whatever you will be butting up against.  Gently lift the tape and set it down on the material you are cutting.  Using the tape as the template, draw a line on the material on the edge of the tape and then just cut away!  
I picked up some butcher at local IGA store yesterday. I've measured (HDR, tape measure idea) and will roughly cut it out about 1" extra, will press into place and then SLOWLY cut a little more. I'm in no hurry. May be 3 or 4 days before I get back to it.

Have some painter's tape somewhere around. May give it a try, if needed. But good tip on that. Thank your son for me.

Got motivated to go out and work on it. Humidity was on the rise. At 9:00a.m.
I had a piece of foam that was just a hair small. Guess the person who invented foam in a can said the same thing and found a solution. Thanks to him or her.
I think I'm getting better at resizing photos. Hope to get some professional lesson's at RTR.
I may have to make 2 new post, to get the pics in. 5 of them. Let's try it.
RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_1.png
RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_2.png
RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_3.png
RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_6.png
RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_7.png

Attachments

• RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_1.png
    RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_1.png
    559.8 KB · Views: 3
  • RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_2.png
    RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_2.png
    402.5 KB · Views: 3
  • RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_3.png
    RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_3.png
    388.5 KB · Views: 1
  • RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_6.png
    RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_6.png
    371.1 KB · Views: 1
  • RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_7.png
    RESIZED_INSULATION_CUTTING_7.png
    376.4 KB · Views: 1
I even amaze myself, sometimes. I have 2 pieces of insulation that I will put up under the full sheet. " Use what you have ". Will can foam it all in then. So, with that, I see no need in posting a pic.
I hope this will help someone else. I could have just googled and googled a way. But to post on this forum and receive help, suggestions and moral support. Priceless. I think HDR suggested "measuring tape?", some thing click in my brain cell bank, what's left of them. 
Spread the  :heart:. It's painless.