Crackling, smoking, and dripping after using Seafoam. Safe to drive?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twenty years ago when I was an outside salesman for the local NAPA store the guy who was THE MAN with Seafoam showed me how he recommended using the product and it has always worked like a champ.  Find a vacuum hose stick it in the Seafoam can KEEPING the engine running until nearly to the bottom of the can and let it choke the engine. Let it set for 10 or 15 minutes and DRIVE THE HELL OUT OF IT.  You'll think the world is on fire and there won't be any mosquitos around.  I drive it until the smoke stops.  A couple years ago at the same NAPA store I was in there and the son of the first guy who taught me how to use it was in there and he gave me a free bottle and did it the same way his father had done it years before.  We didn't realize the little Caesars Pizza shop downwind from us was having an event.

yep, Seafoam can really smoke the place out. Gotta be careful these days with "visible emissions" laws and such...  :-/

18514012_300847487027721_934473343308922880_n.jpg

AbuelaLoca said:
Makes me think of Cheech and Chong "Up in Smoke"  :angel:
Hey Man, open the door, it's Dave!   Who?

It sounds like your friend used the regular bottle of seafoam. These are for adding to oil and fuel. You need to use the spray version for intakes. Also, you need to hold the idle high (1,500 rpms or so on yours).

Vacuum leaks were the first thing I thought and then read on and found that to be a big issue for you. Replace with silicone ones for longer lifespan.

Fuel filter should be replaced if you don't know when it was last done regardless of the fuel treatment use.

The shudder you still get when running might be a miss, base timing could be off, carb tuned poorly, or just worn motor mounts. Hook up a timing light to each plug wire and pull the trigger. If it's flashing steady you don't have a miss. If the flashing studders you have a miss on whatever cylinder you're on. Check cap and rotor on distributor. Use the timing light to check your base timing and make sure it's within spec. If your motor mounts are old, tired, soft, broken down, they need to be replaced. Carb tuning is a bit of an art. Learn how to do it. Pulling and checking plugs can help tell if you if you're lean or rich.