Covering Van Windows?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reef95

Reaction score
I'm planning my interior build and I'm at a crossroads..

I've seen quite a few interior builds online and a lot of people are gutting their vans and covering the interior with wood paneling -- even the side windows! Most designs I've seen are actually pretty cool and private, like a miniature dorm room.. my main concern is whether or not it's completely legal to cover side the windows with wood paneling. It limits your ability to see blind spots, right?

It seems worth it for the privacy alone!

I'd like to hear from someone who has done this with their van! I don't want to be pulled over every time I drive by a police officer because I'm breaking the law by covering my side windows, lol.

To clear thing up, I'm talking about the back-side windows! Not the passenger/drivers window or the back door window.

If you have side windows, I would cover them with a removable insulation cover like reflectix, or form fitted rigid polystyrene insulation board. Either way, you will most likely want to treat the outward facing surface with a black paint, or fabric to appear like window tinting. In this manner, you will be able to remove one, or all to get more natural light into your van.

Many cargo vans only have windows on the back doors, and some vans have no rear windows. Passenger vans have small windows all the way around, while factory conversion vans have large, pictures windows....it's all about which van design you have, none of these are illegal.

the only windows you can't cover are the front passenger and driver door and windshield. you can cover all the other windows. you shouldn't be looking out those windows anyway you should have the proper mirrors and know how to use them. highdesertranger

Be aware that when turning left at an intersection other than 90 degrees requires you angle the van in the lane to be able to see traffic coming in the lane you are turning into or turning right and going around the block to get going the direction you need to go if you can't see (sun,rain etc. on or in mirrors) and using mirrors for backing requires proper adjustment and practice. Planning and thinking ahead is one reason many companies require you walk around the vehicle before backing. I've always made provisions for passenger side windows to be uncovered while driving and had fewer problems because of it.

If worse comes to worse, 3 right turns makes a left turn if you find yourself at an intersection where you can't see properly.

B and C said:
If worse comes to worse, 3 right turns makes a left turn if you find yourself at an intersection where you can't see properly.

As they say, two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.