Countertop: Bamboo Cutting Board?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanFan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never used a jig saw. Is it feasible to cut a hole for a drop-in sink in a bamboo cutting board with one?

I've never used a jig saw. Is it feasible to cut a hole for a drop-in sink in a bamboo cutting board with one?
I wouldn't suggest it without drilling a blade hole first. But as long as your bamboo isn't thicker than the blade is long, I see no problems.

Yes and that is a very common method of cutting the sink opening.

As you are new to using a jigsaw I am including user information for the task.

Use a sturdy blade with fewer teeth. This is not a task for the fine toothed very thin blades. Your cut line is hidden under the edge of the sink so you do not need a fine toothed finish cut blade. Drill the hole size larger than the blade so you can rotate the blade in the hole without binding it. Blade lengths are selected by the thickness of the material you are cutting so get a blade long enough for the job but not overly long.

If it is a rectangular sink drill a hole in not just one but in each of the four corners so that you have an easier time transitioning around the corners. Hold the saw firmly (but still allowing forward movement) against the surface as jigsaws can jump upwards and vibrate as they cut because the blades move up and down. That small pressure counteracts that force of the blade’s upward cut movement allowing you to make a more accurate cut line.

Last edited: