cost of gas seeing 48 states

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlawsboy

Reaction score
hey guys i was wondering roughly what the total was in gas to travel across the usa and visit every state and how long it took when im 21 i plan to travel across the us but need to save up alot of course thanx :)

There are a lot of variables in that question. And no pat answer. You'd, at the very least, need to know your route and the mpg of the vehicle you're driving.

im asking from experiences not calculations like if anyones done it roughly how much did it cost them

Put your route into yahoo driving directions , it will tell you

Yeah.... In my Prius @53 mpg's or my Dodge @16 mpg's there is a huge difference in fuel cost for the same distance traveled.

I've done Oregon and back in 7,000 miles, I've done only to Montana and back in 5,200 miles.
I've done longer trips to the Pacific and back exceeding 12,000 miles.

What the journey cost is highly variable.

Dave

Gas Buddy has a good calculator and takes into account either your vehicle make/model/year or your stated mpg. It maps out the route and selects the cheapest gas along the way. Although prices do change it will give you a pretty good idea of the cost.

Each person travels in a different style and a different vehicle so the question is almost like asking "how long is a piece of string?".  However you go, it will be an amazing journey.  Road tripping with friends can be fun at that age too.

Like other had posted.  There are too many variables in that question.  Your vehicle, speed, altitude, driving habits, state fuel prices and we can go on and on and on.  Now I can only talk to you by my experience. I have been to 46 US States including Canada and to 7 Canadian Provinces and Territories.  I'm not an expert by any means, so what I say it's just that, my experiences.

I don't know your financial situation.  but in my case I'm retired.   My retirement income is pretty good, I will say better than other peoples income, but with that said I don't have a bottomless pit of money.  In my case my expenditures may include:

• Fuel
  • Food
  • Lodging
  • PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE
  • Repairs
  • Misc

Now let talk about each one of them:

• Fuel: By far the largest expenditure.   The more miles you travel the more you spend.    There is some way that you may control that expenditure and that may included to have your vehicle in tip top shape.   Another way that I used is to slow down to stretch my fuel.  In my case I'm retired.   So time is on my side.   I covered less distances daily and limit my budget to certain amount.  So I travel and stay put at one place for a little bit and travel again some more and that way I don't exceed my fuel budget.  

Food:  As a rule once I'm on the road I don't eat out.   I prepared all my meals and I made my purchased at larger retailer or at military commissaries So I actually I spend a lot less in food as if I was in a stationary place. 

Lodging:   Rule is I don't do motel or hotel unless there is an emergency.    I travel and try to look for free places or very low cost places. 

Preventive Maintenance:  I personally love doing my maintenance.  While I probably spend more than the average person in maintenance is a lot cheaper than performing emergency repairs.

Repair: Sometime things happen.    But I hate walking and thing that blind side.    I learn in the military that is a lot better to avoid the fight, if I have to fight, I like to meet the enemy at my terms.   If I hear something in my vehicle that I should not hear, I'm investigating it.   Trust me is a lot better and cheaper to find your alternator is failing before it fail than been in the middle of nowhere and for them to fail.   Unexpec ted repair is an enemy and you should meet them at your term.    You may not win all your battles on that one, but you may win the war.

Misc Expenses:   The easiest to control and that is based on your impulses

Having a set realistic budget is one of the most important things while traveling.