Cooler tests - overland journal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roaddog said:
Where can someone find block ice?  Thanks!

here in s.e. alabama where i am there are self contained  " ice houses "  in  what look like containers that trucks haul, usually set in parking lots with easy access......16lb bag=$1.75...20lb block= about $2 or $2.50.....i'll check for the co. name when i go out tomorrow....TJB

I have the same model Engel, a lucky Craigslist find for around $500 CDN ($375 USD). ..Willy.
cortttt said:
Thanks.. A refer is on my list...I'm tired of soggy vegies and stinky coolers....and trips to the store for more ice - sometimes quite expensive ice.

Any reason you chose the Engel over a Truckfridge?

when I bought my first Engel, my research didn't even show a Truckfridge. after I bought my first Engel I was so happy I didn't even look at others and bought another Engel. I am not saying there is anything is wrong with the others. I bought my first one in 2010 and it's still going strong. some say the Engels make to much noise, I don't find it to be a problem. highdesertranger

I can't afford a refer right now...I'm going to save a couple of hundred bucks and go with a Igloo Sportsman for $199 at Sam's Club :) :) :)

at 200 bucks for an ice chest and then the cost of ice for a year you would save money buying a 12v refer. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
at 200 bucks for an ice chest and then the cost of ice for a year you would save money buying a 12v refer.  my 2 cents.  highdesertranger

That topic has been hashed out here multiple times.  

Cooler = lower up front costs, simple - best for == those starting out, those who don't need refrigeration all year due to climate (or not fulltiming) or those without the up front budget for fridge / solar system

Fridge + Solar - up front costs at least $1500.00 for fridge plus solar plus batteries.  Plus must install system, maintain betteries.  Loss of stealth.  Benefits == never run out of ice likely long term cost savings.  Although $1500.00 will buy a lot of ice.

YMMV.

Curiously, they never mentioned the cooler I own, which I think represents an excellent value - the Coleman Ultimate Xtreme 6 day 58qt. cooler. Maybe they don't sell them. ;)

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/coleman-ultimate-xtreme-coolers

Here are the Pros and Cons:
First the Cons.
The hinges are junk. I replaced mine after about a year with a set of brass hinges and oversized stainless screws that I found at Lowes for a permanent solution to cheap plastic hinges. End of problem for about $6.
The handles are also too light for such a big cooler, lasting only a couple years. I replaced mine with oversized Igloo handles (found at Academy Sports) which make it much more comfortable to lift and are more durable too. Sweetest handles ever for $15. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/igl...for-110---165-qt-coolers?repChildCatid=975500
It has so much insulation that the cooler is a little larger than you would expect for its storage capacity.

Now the Pros:
Holds ice for 6 days with twice the insulation of the Coleman Xtreme cooler (which is a decent inexpensive 5 day cooler.) Keep it out the sun and don't open it too often and it will hold at least some ice up to a week.
It only cost me around $90 with shipping from Amazon. The link provided has one for for $85.47 and an 82 qt model for $ 92.57. An 82 qt. cooler full of sloshing ice is a little hard for me to lift by myself though.

For the price/performance ratio it can't be beat - as long as you are willing to replace the hinges and handles when they fail.

Chip

Update: I just checked the product description in the link and Coleman did away with the plastic hinges and went with stainless steel. They upgraded their handles too. I guess the company listens to its consumers.

Chip

idn88 said:

Cooler = lower up front costs, simple - best for == those starting out, those who don't need refrigeration all year due to climate (or not fulltiming) or those without the up front budget for fridge / solar system

Fridge + Solar - up front costs at least $1500.00 for fridge plus solar plus batteries.  Plus must install system, maintain betteries.  Loss of stealth.  Benefits == never run out of ice likely long term cost savings.  Although $1500.00 will buy a lot of ice.

YMMV.

At least $1500? Uhh.. no. ..Willy.

idn88 said:

Fridge + Solar - up front costs at least $1500.00 for fridge plus solar plus batteries.  Plus must install system, maintain betteries.  Loss of stealth.  Benefits ==  never run out of ice likely long term cost savings.  Although $1500.00 will buy a lot of ice.

YMMV.

Your basic point is valid, it does cost much more to go with a 12 volt compressor fridge, but $1500 is not accurate:

$200 Renogy 100 watt kit http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-Volts-Monocrystalline-Starter/dp/B00BFCNFRM/r
$100 Walmart battery  
$300 Dometic Cf 18 12 volt compressor fridge http://www.amazon.com/Dometic-CF-018DC-Portable-Refrigerator-Personal/dp/B0030G7Y64
========
Total $600

And of course the solar lets you do lots more than just power the Dometic. I had solar power several years before I had a compressor fridge.

But there's even more to the story!!! If you drive enough, you can power the Dometic CF 18 off your alternator, no problem at all. Then it's even cheaper!!

$50 for solenoid and cabling
$100 for Walmrt battery
$300 for Dometic cf18.
=======
$450

That's the price of a good Yeti and you get enough power for most of your other needs on top of it!!

The cf 18 is small but I know several people who are happy with it. Remember, a bunch of a 45 quart cooler is taken up by ice and ice water.
Bob

sushidog said:
Update: I just checked the product description in the link and Coleman did away with the plastic hinges and went with stainless steel. They upgraded their handles too. I guess the company listens to its consumers.

Yeah, I just looked and they say it has stainless steel hardware. Interesting for sure.

OK, Gotta bump this for all the useful information contained in this thread. Just gotta do it. :p