Cooler tests - overland journal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idn88

Reaction score
I don't know where to post this.  Thought others might be interested?

Overland Journal did a test on a bunch of coolers in the fall 2015 issue - Yeti, a bunch of their knock off's and a couple 80 dollar ones from Wally World.  Filled with the same amount of ice, were in the sun half day and shade half day, and a six pack of cold ones was taken out and warm six pack replaced once a day, to emulate somewhat of a real world test.

The wally world units -Max Cold and Extreme 50 kept ice for 4 days

The knock off's kept ice for 5 days

The Yeti kept ice for 6 days. 

Build quality was mentioned but not factored in.

They must have been using cubed ice... My 40qt, 7+ day cooler, $49 from a Walmart over 10 years ago, will go at least 7.5 days on a block of ice during the hottest days of summer. Cubed ice about half that.

It's a shame hardly anyone sells block ice anymore it's last so much longer. I like to freeze one gallon water jugs. Last longer then cubes and supplies me with cold water, another thing that's supposed to make ice last longer is to drain the water as it melts.

Bought a Yeti years ago and paired with the Dometic freeze gallon of water and sealed covered had kept cold for about a week it's a good combo for overflow

Mattkcc said:
It's a shame hardly anyone sells block ice anymore it's last so much longer. I like to freeze one gallon water jugs. Last longer then cubes and supplies me with cold water, another thing that's supposed to make ice last longer is to drain the water as it melts.

I use block ice all the time...  Almost any convenience store with an ice cooler out front has it, but you have to ask for it, because they only keep the cubes inside.

At smaller Mom & Pop neighborhood stores, if they don't have block ice, they  can get it for you if you're going to be in the area for a while.  Some Mom & Pops will also let you rotate milk jugs in their freezer for free.

Nice to see a real world test. Awesome results.
I find block ice at any of the local grocery stores.

Overland Journal did a good job on that test. (I enjoy the journal and expo daily!)

My wife and I swapped out our perfectly good YETI for two Engle Deep Blue (??2012 or so swap from YETI??) as the areas we frequent suggested (but not yet required) bear certification stuff if left out. It just made sense and the YETI was in good enough shape to get top-used-dollar from a local sports fisherman.

We use cubed ice in the EDB 80qt and get 7+ days at ~40F or less inside temp. A couple things we did was wrap the outside with a layer of reflectix and then made an interior hinged two section lid out of ~1/4" foam board. We also have a layer of reflectix under the aluminum top-tray. This way we can open the cooler and mindfully get what we need without disturbing all areas of interior. Cheap and works for us.

We typically keep dry food in the second Engle with no ice...it is just a convenient (albeit expensive!!) bear certified food locker we can leave outside the van in camp.

: ) Thom

Interesting and informative reviews here guys. Thanks for posting them.

Ballenxj said:
Interesting and informative reviews here guys. Thanks for posting them.

Really surprising results - the Yeti bombs! I'm going for one of the cheaper coolers. Thanks for posting!

I wasn't surprised by Yeti, I know some people with them and they didn't impress me. of course since I got my 12v refers no ice chests really seem to impress me. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
  of course since I got my 12v refers no ice chests really seem to impress me.  highdesertranger

I forget, which refer did you end up getting? Thanks in advance.

Nice choice there HDR. Soza, can you provide accurate inside dimensions of the box and basket?
Thanks. Sorry for drifting off topic.

Engel says it holds 58 12 oz cans. the actual dimensions are 14" deep, 10" wide, 14 1/8" length. this is the basket dimensions. highdesertranger