Cool van build journal.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overall, not a bad first effort, but I did catch a couple serious fubars, and several potentially serious mistakes and lesser glitches that will cause extra work/rebuilding down the line.   But he will figure them out as he goes. 
Hint....  batteries.   Hint....  Silicone.  See if y'all catch the others.   ;)

Love his Dad's shop.  My Dad's shop wasn't so neat and tidy.

I like his philosophy, enthusiasm, and attention to layout/finishing details. But I think he's still learning some practical hardware aspects.... like that big vent hood hanging off the back door, use of Romex for all his wiring, and that solar rack is going to be a rusty mess in 6 months.

But I'm sure he'll keep the momentum and revise as needed.

Couldn't have said it better TMG51.

That is not the van, or layout/detail I would choose, bur I am indeed envious of his attitude and apparent closeness with family.

Nice woodwork. Too bad the eventual leaks in the roof will ruin it. Wrong sealing materials.

Wrong wiring and switches for 12V. Not a fan of the wiring under the floorboard.

Solar panel rails will probably rust and stain the van.

With the Promaster, go for the diesel. The transmission is an automated manual. The Gas engine automatic is from a dodge caravan...

That rear door vent. Not the best material for that either.

Gonna struggle with that sink drain as well, and the batteries are in the human compartment...

What would you use on the roof rack/solar panels instead of what he used?

Also, don't most people but the batteries in the human compartment?

Battery location isn't bad, IF it were vented.  But when time comes to have to pull them out to work on or change them......   :s
 And the connection, while it will work (yeah, wiring is too light gauge) is not optimal.
I caught the use of silicone too.  His pleasure with it will turn to horror as it shrinks and leaks.  But he apparently has money, and a good place to work on it.
He is still learning.  Lots of van folks made these same errors at first.   :cool:

myke said:
What would you use on the roof rack/solar panels instead of what he used?

Also, don't most people but the batteries in the human compartment?

I use Azek (pvc board) or aluminum on the exterior of my van. Stainless hardware. No rust, no rot.

He used galvanized strapping, which would have been somewhat rust-resistant if not for all the rounded out drill holes and cuts. Then he fastened it with nickel plated bolts, which are less rust resistant than galvanized.

Oh my,do I detect a light whiff of.......Jealousy?Silicone works great at sealing and can be had in paintable versions.The wire is plenty heavy for what you are running and will be fine.The wall switches will work fine also.I used a wall switch for my headlights in a 78 van for years with no trouble.I think he did a helluva good job.I would have bought a nice motorhome for that much money myself,but it's his money ,not mine.Also the roof rack can be painted and will last several years before needing attention.

tBob Dickerson said:
Oh my,do I detect a light whiff of.......Jealousy?Silicone works great at sealing and can be had in paintable versions.The wire is plenty heavy for what you are running and will be fine.The wall switches will work fine also.I used a wall switch for my headlights in a 78  van for years with no trouble.I think he did a helluva good job.I would have bought a nice motorhome for that much money myself,but it's his money ,not mine.Also the roof rack can be painted and will last several years before needing attention.

No, not by a long shot.  Just some observations on obvious and potential problems.  We all do our conversions our way, sometimes after seeing what works or doesn't work for others.  Simple observation.  If it works for him in the long term, great for him!

well I am not a fan of using household material for mobile applications. solid wire, household switches. household type drawers. did anybody notice that one of the doors was warped already. I am not a fan of that vent in the rear door need a way to seal it. using silicone to seal everything, btw paintable silicone is not 100% silicone. all of this can be over looked I guess. but the real deal breakers for me was the use of regular household fiberglass insulation and a front wheel drive. but like others said it's his money. highdesertranger

great job, good work, great choice of van, well done, clean, airy, stealth, comfortable, easy to manage, I am jealous....

front wheel drives are throw away vehicles imho. use once and junk. once you wear a FWD out it's not worth it to fix it. I know in todays throw away society that is acceptable, but I think it's a waste. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
front wheel drives are throw away vehicles imho.  use once and junk. once you wear a FWD out it's not worth it to fix it.  I know in todays throw away society that is acceptable,  but I think it's a waste.  highdesertranger

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "wear out." The front end/drivetrain bits? Does replacing those really outweigh the value of the vehicle?

I know several people here dislike FWD but I thought that was mostly due to the fact that the drive wheels aren't underneath all the excess weight we add with house accommodations etc.

I worked a winter in Cedar Key,Fl doing carpenter work.The siding was all cement board,nailed with stainless steel nails because of the salt air.All the doors opened outward,for hurricane safety.

I am not trying to convince you like I said my opinion. but if you just look at how much a 15 year old FWD is worth and how much it would cost to rebuild it I think you will get the idea. after all how many 20+ year old FWD's do you see on the road. highdesertranger

my 1993 dodge Caravan has front wheel drive, this summer I changed both drive axles, due to a vibration on acceleration, they cost about 350 for both, what else is there to replace?? they were original with 230,000 kms, I didn;t think that was a big cost, it took a couple of hours to do the job. just bolt on parts.