Converting an old pop-up?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tav-2020

Reaction score
Just curious - has anyone taken an old pop-up camper, ripped out the tenting and crafted folding walls on four sides that would track into the roof? I saw a couple on youtube that had just built hard walls but it did not collapse.  I had a dream last night that I made one with folding walls. Worked FAB in my dream of course. Yeah, it would be a squarish box unless you could also develop folding walls for the pull out ends (and a roof for those too). Hinges are marvelous things though :)

Did not see any mention of pop-up conversion in the site links above.

Are you talking about a pop-up tent trailer? Or a pickup mounted pop-up slide-in camper?

With the tent trailers, each end is usually a bed, so, flat and straight sides would remove those, but would still work if you then used the dinette for the bed.  Interesting idea...would this be done with the intent of insulated walls, vs the more exposed (canvas enclosed) sleeping area?

With the pickup mounted slide-in pop-ups...those tend to be expensive, and are lower profile to cut wind drag. 

Back in the early 90's, I bought an old used pop-up tent trailer and used it for years...great little trailer...I wish I still had it!

I lived in a hard sided popup trailer for about a year. The beds were still canvas but the walls were collapsible panels. It was very comfortable. I could see if the canvas rotted away just closing them off. I think it would be fine. I think to retrofit a canvas wall one would be a lot more work.

popup.jpg
Photo from google image search. Mine was very similar to this.

Attachments

• popup.jpg
    popup.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 12
I meant the tent style pop-up with the beds on each end. I had a small one too, loved it, but imagine it would be hard to use for full time as it was so subjective to wet weather misery. I had to give mine away a few years ago after mice colonized in it and the guy who took it converted it into a utility trailer.

They are for sale everywhere around here (northeast), and some are give away, again, due to mice/mold/age etc. Dumps won't take them here. So if you could gut and then create sturdier, more water proof walls that fold up/inside for traveling..well, it might be interesting

One of the problems encountered in doing something like the fold up walls you are contemplating it getting a good weather proof seal between sections.

Just something to keep in mind in the planning stages!

mr_elijah_gardne said:
Photo from google image search. Mine was very similar to this.

Aha! Did not know hard sided pop-ups even existed! thanks for the image, was kind of what I had been thinking, except I would do away with the end beds and just have four walls. Some of the larger pop-ups have fairly large boxes to begin with.

tav-2020 said:
wow! even better than folding! thanks!

tried to re-edit and add to this but it went poof into the ethernet....
so I could see using the original lift mechanism and beams of the pop-up to make the slide happen, and replace the original roof with the upperhalf unit...great food for thought, thanks again!

trying to get a good seal is hard. trying to get the seal to last for years is impossible. highdesertranger

Pool noodles little narrower than the gap, sliced longwise into 1/6 sections

highdesertranger said:
trying to get a good seal is hard.  trying to get the seal to last for years is impossible.  highdesertranger

Agreed. Am leaving the folding walls idea for the slide unit that John posted in link. A lot easier to build it solid than have walls match up and seal.

Google pop-up tent trailer conversions, images. There are a few out there.

Seems like sealing the edges would be no harder then the effort it would take for folding and storage....

Look at your steel garage door. It folds, seals, and lasts forever... Right?

I must replace my Aliner's seals every 2-3 years but they are cheap and easy to do with self adhesive foam strips from any big box hardware store.
I wouldn't let that discourage me. If on a tight budget try to find an old apache trailer. If not possibly a used Hi-Lo or Trailmanor might be a better choice.
https://www.pinterest.com/gojoneshome/apache-camper/

Here's a 2008 Highlander Tacoma hardsided pop-up that Fleetwood used to make: https://www.uclookup.com/detail/2008-Fleetwood-Highlander-Tacoma-Hard-Side-Pop-up_182000677679.html
This one is $10k. I paid less for my barely used Aliner, so shop around.

Chip

I know I've seen at least 2 redone pop ups rcently where both just used the box and added solid walls.  One looked like a rustic cabin and I think yesterday on the "Sisters On The Fly" there was also one.  Near me there is a { I think 20ft }  Vintage Shasta with it's wings/ hub caps and some original hardware and lighting for $1,000 and it's already been gutted.  I think that's good because there's less chance of hidden problems.  I'm trying to think of a site based out in PA that one of the guys built a vardo where the ends and sides fold in.  I'll look for it.

TJB+Q

There was a pop up something like that way back when. Apache pop up camper. Is this something like you were thinking about?