Coleman solar shower at walmart

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tkdplayer

Reaction score
Has anyone tryed this product ?  It's only $10 might try it .

Mr. LooRead,
I've considered that but can't figure out if there's a way to put a different kind of spray head on it. It looks difficult to handle and angle. Did you have to use something else?
Diane

All one needs to do is cut the plastic wand down to 1/2 inch. It comes with a fan nozzle I am sure you could find a spot tip also.

I never fill the fresh water tank of my porta crapper and use the sprayer when cleanup is needed.

I wash my stainless cookware also with the sprayer.

And just shaved, washed my hair and body with just about one gallon of water to be fresh for super bowl Sunday.

The coleman bags are junk as they will leak from the fill valve unless hung.

Bags with a screw fill cap are much better.
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Elem...00J2Q0T4&pebp=1422829318076&peasin=B000J2Q0T4

I've got one resting on my passenger seat, on a 55 watt heating pad, as I type.  Water temp, 114F.

I like putting the bag on my black dashboard facing the sun.  Warms up pretty quickly.  Sometimes I Use the heating pad under it on the dashboard and can get 56 degree water to mid 80's in 2 hours in 60 degree ambient.

Other times when hot is needed faster, I heat water on my propane stove, use a funnel to dump it in the bag, refill the pot from the bag, repeat until 104F minimum.

Solari said:
Love that contraption. Curious, how long does it last in terms of needing refills for quick showers?

Thanks,
Ray

I have one of those Duckworks sprayers. It works fantastic. The spray head is the perfect blend of pressure and volume. I also built one using this spray head:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Y2E47PBHH8A83FCNY1Q

I glued all the holes but left 8 holes open. With all the holes open, it sucked the water down fast. I wouldn't use more than 12 holes. I prefer this head because it gives me more control over the flow and frees both hands as the on/off switch isn't spring loaded.

If you get a weed sprayer and make your own, smell inside first. Some sprayers have a plasticy, chemically smell that will get in the water and in your hair. Very gross and probably not healthy long term. The ones that aren't made for the strongest industrial chemicals may have normal plastic in it. Not sure, but smell first.

I use 32 ounces or less. If you fill it up, you have less air and need to pump it a couple times throughout the shower. Not a big deal, though, it is quick and easy to use.

Do we have a how to post on making a week sprayer shower like canine has built, on this website?

RVTravel said:
Do we have a how to post on making a week sprayer shower like canine has built, on this website?

I had described it before, but since it is so easy and quick, I'll do it again. First, pick your choice of weed sprayer. I've used a gallon size and that was fine for just me, but it wasn't enough for the dog. 2.5 gallons is a great size as it isn't too big and stands a bit higher so you don't have to bend down so far to pump it. I use 35 pumps for me and that lasts the entire shower (not so with the one gallon size). The size of the weed sprayer isn't just how much water it will hold, it is also how much air it will hold. If I can shower without stopping to pump, that is a more enjoyable shower. My 45 pound dog with medium length hair and no undercoat takes periodic pumping and about 1 1/2 gallons. Hair is harder to rinse out that's for sure.

Pick up that sprayer head that I posted or use one off of an old shower sprayer. Many companies use the same head when making their own battery powered showers. I've even seen them in orange. Then glue all the holes except 12 to 8 of them. Use gel super glue; standard viscosity glue will run and cover more holes than you want. No matter how careful you are, it will run if you don't use gel.

Cut the spray wand off of the weed eater- it doesn't need to be pretty. I like about 3 feet worth of tubing because I hang my weed eater about three feet up. 6 feet is more like it if you set the sprayer on the ground. The longer the hose, the more heat it will suck out of the water at first. If you need more length, just use nipples and hose clamps to splice more hose in. Some of the wands you may be able to unfasten, but many are a permanent attachment. Then buy an adapter (see link below) with a 1/2 inch threaded end and a barbed end. The threaded end will screw into the shower head. You may need pipe tape or pipe goop. The fewer leaks the better. The barbed end will need to be 1/4 inch or 3/8 depending on the size of the tubing on your weed sprayer. Actually, either size you can make work, so if you get the wrong size, you aren't out of luck. If you have a small hose but the large barbed end, you can jam the tubing onto it, but it can be HARD! Use lube of some sort. If you have the large tubing with the smaller barbed end, just scrinch that hose clamp down real tight. Use a socket with a ratchet instead of a screwdriver if you plan on tightening it that much. Get a good hose clamp, too- they are cheap. I prefer the nylon or plastic adapters over the brass, but either will work. Plastic is cheaper. I have a nylon one and have no issues with strength, but other plastics may be to brittle. Here is a link for one kind:

http://www.amazon.com/Banjo-HB050-0...79&sr=8-1&keywords=1/2+inch+npt+to+1/4+barbed

The weed sprayers with the wide mouth openings are harder to screw tight enough and to loosen. I have decent arm strength, so I could see that being be an issue for others. The smaller openings are just fine to pour water into; I barely spill, if any, with mine. The shower head does not shut off all the way. That is the way ALL of them are made. It is a piddly amount and amounts to almost nothing, so no worries there. I use 32 ounces or less per day, so it can't leak that much. I prefer 1/4 inside diameter tubing because the hose will suck some of the heat out of your water. The difference between 3/8 and 1/4 is noticeable the first few seconds.

here is what I have found with the solar showers. by the time it's hot enough to heat the water up to a decent temp it's to hot to want a hot shower. by that time I want a cold shower or better yet a dip into a creek, river, or pond. ok let the cold shower jokes begin. highdesertranger

I put my solar shower on the dashboard inside my van in the morning so it is in a "greenhouse" zone -- warms faster than if it were outside on a chilly morning in the sun. The solar bag is just too much of a hassle for me to find a place to hang it. I have a nifty shower pop-up tent but that has an opening for the bag's hose to come in while the bag is hung on something outside... not very convenient.

I just bought a weed sprayer and plan to modify it with a sink sprayer hose perhaps. I think it will work as is, but the wand is quite long between the nozzle and the spray trigger and will be awkward. I'll still use the solar bag to keep more water in the van and to warm my shower water -- I'll just dump it into the sprayer.

Mr.LooRead said:
For just $10 more you can get a much more better pressurized product.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RL-Flo-Master-2-5-gal-Deck-Sprayer-1125D/100382513

This company sells parts and a nice shower head replacement for the above> http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/shower/index.htm.  I have one and take it with me all the time to rinse off after kayaking, biking, hiking and of course, just showering.  Also have one of these   that I use for a shower surround when I need privacy.  http://www.thewallup.com/