Cleaning your propane stove

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbuelaLoca

Reaction score
I have two old Coleman 2-burner stoves and they are both pretty crusty after years of use. I want to clean them and wondered what everyone does... Those wings on the sides are so greasy it's hard to open them!!

I did look up what Coleman suggests, but I feel like basic dish soap is not going to cut it!!

https://www.coleman.com/coleman-care-and-cleaning.html

What do you use and how well does it work?

First go to town with strong oven cleaner and a stiff brush.

Then get a gallon of cheap cleaning vinegar and soak.

Rinse repeat as needed.

For the grease and cooked-on crud:

Buy a spray bottle of Simple Green, full strength spray.

Spray, let soak, then wipe and rinse.

If there is a lot of rust on the steel surfaces,  you might want to try something like a spray bottle of CLR and a non-metallic cleaning pad. Wear gloves!

Then coat with PAM or something similar to help keep it rust-free.

(john, oven cleaner might desolve the paint...just sayin...)

Dawn is an amazing de greaser. Safe to use, it just takes a bit of time to soak. I clean my butane stove soaking and scrubbing with a dish pad.

Oh... good idea! I haven't used a magic eraser in quite a while!

I'm sure Dawn will get some of the newer grease off, but I don't know if it will get the caked on stuff... I will try that first, though, since I already have Dawn.

a word of caution on the oven cleaner. I used to use oven cleaner on my old Coleman stove, when I tried it on my newer Coleman stove it took the paint off. Home Depot sells a product called Grease Off(I think that's the name) the stuff works great and doesn't harm finishes it's the only cleaner that we found that works. when I go back to work Wed. I will get the name. highdesertranger

If you have a container of Go-Joe sitting around try rubbing some of that on the grease.

For cleaning engines, trannies, and areas under the hood I have used Gunk Concentrated Purple Cleaner Degreaser.  For parts that are soaked I use kerosene.

-- Spiff