Class Bs - Can the layout be changed?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncagingmyspirit

Reaction score
I'm looking at used Class Bs 2000 - 2010 ish Different makes & models 

I can't currently afford my ideal layout / Class B (or a total van conversion) so I'm wondering if I can buy a Class B with a layout I can live with, but take out & rebuild the layout, one project at a time.  
Example 
Take out the bed and put in the kind I want. 
Take out the microwave & turn it into a storage area

sure anything is possible. something like removing the micro is easy and cheap. but other things can add up. plus whatever you do is going to kill the resale value. so in the end I doubt you will save any money. highdesertranger

If newer B's are like my old '86 Dodge the jackknife sofa/beds are really uncomfortable so I can see you wanting to do that.

If you removed the bed and hardware it could be stored and reinstalled later if you wanted to put it back to original condition for resale.

Yes and no!

I know several who have removed the microwave and built in extra storage.

The bed is a bit more difficult depending on the style of the existing bed and what you want to do with the space. It depends on what's under the bed. In a lot of cases, the bed sections are  hiding major components like the furnace and hot water tank. It's way more than a major job to move them because of the plumbing/gas lines/exterior venting etc.

You're probably better off looking at a cargo van with a high top and building out the interior YOU want rather than trying to remodel an existing layout in a B.

If you really want ALL the features of a B like furnace, shower, hot running water then it's either live with a layout that is almost what you like or keep searching until you find one that you do like.

slow2day said:
If newer B's are like my old '86 Dodge the jackknife sofa/beds are really uncomfortable so I can see you wanting to do that.

If you removed the bed and hardware it could be stored and reinstalled later if you wanted to put it back to original condition for resale.

The beds look uncomfortable which is why they would be the first thing I do. Storage is a good idea. I'm weighing the idea of resale and value loss.

Many of the hidden and embedded systems, such as fresh tank, batteries, pumps, electrical boxes, furnace, water heater, TV/stereo, tubing, pipes, etc, are behind all of the pretty cabinetry. So, moving things around can be easy, or might be difficult, depending on what you are trying to do.

Removing a microwave is pretty easy, but, for example, moving the commode to where the stove is now, uh, fugetabout it. 

Smaller class b campers typically have the bed in the back, the cooking facilities will likely be on the driver side, and the shower/bath is probably gonna be on the curb side, aft of the side door. Those major components probably cant be moved around without a major 'gutting' of the rig.

You might be able to move or modify some things to suit you, such as installing shelves where a closet is, or moving the TV, or adding an extra table near the bed....just some generic examples.

Almost There said:
If you really want ALL the features of a B like furnace, shower, hot running water then it's either live with a layout that is almost what you like or keep searching until you find one that you do like.

My ideal is a Ford Transit 350  with a murphy bed layout. I'm disabled so I can't do the work myself and the total cost - bottom to top with solar panels; I'm told will cost $55,000 (conversion only)  My credit union is not approving personal loans over $10,000 and told me they most likely won't until maybe next summer. So I'm moving to plan B -  Class B campervan with a layout I can live with and put in a comfortable bed and a little more storage.

My old B had a 2'x3' tub and shower at the back that I could barely fit into.

The shower head and pipes were mounted on a wall forward of that and that wall butted up against a large 3-way fridge.

By removing that fridge and using a smaller AC/DC portable model, I could have made enough room for a larger shower stall of at least 36" x36".

That would have been a big improvement. Life and health problems happened so I never got around to it.

sierranighttide said:
My ideal is a Ford Transit 350  with a murphy bed layout.

Are you too tall for a widthwise bed at the rear of the van?  If you could do that, it's a great setup with room underneath for storage.

slow2day said:
Are you too tall for a widthwise bed at the rear of the van?  If you could do that, it's a great setup with room underneath for storage.

I fell in love the Leisure Vans with murphy beds that have a small table & chair when the bed is up. Great space saver. But I don't want to be in debt for 10+ years My hope is that I could build a version of it in a cargo... a little more stealth as well.

Have you ever lived with a Murphy bed? Had one in an old studio apartment I rented. I was entranced by the idea too, but the reality was different. It worked well mechanically, but I found I had ZERO interest in messing with it at least twice a day, every day. (More than twice if I wanted a nap.)

I have a crossways twin bed in my cargo van. I'm short, so I fit it when I'm sleeping, it has lots of storage underneath, and is available for lounging/napping whenever I am so inclined. If I wanted a table inside the van, I'd rig up a folding table attached to the wall or something, or I'd buy a TV tray table. (I have a 2' x 4' folding table that I set up outside.)

Don't discount napping, especially when you are driving a fair distance.

I looked a floor plans for almost a year before I decided on our class B+. Double bed across the back, two captain chairs up front that swivel. Turn the front passenger seat around, tilt it back and put my feet on the back seat. It sure feels like a recliner and is where I take my afternoon nap :p There is a table that goes right between the 4 seats to eat on, makes a great work surface for the kitchen and I use it for a desk. It has 4 seats up front (versatile model (sleeps 4)) if you really want company in that small a space. To me it was really designed for two adults and two kids. I can not imagine having to mess with a bed that has to be reconfigured. So nice when bedtime comes to just crawl in and pull up the covers. YMMV

Edit to add: I removed the microwave and added a microwave/convection oven in its place. The hanging closet now has plastic drawers in it for better storage. It would be relatively easy to remove the rear seat back and bottom cushion on the drivers side rear seat (W/H and furnace in base) and put a cabinet on top for more storage.

sierranighttide said:
I fell in love the Leisure Vans with murphy beds that have a small table & chair when the bed is up. Great space saver. But I don't want to be in debt for 10+ years My hope is that I could build a version of it in a cargo... a little more stealth as well.
You can do all kinds of changes inside the shell of a class B. All you need is time, some tools, funds for materials, patience and being willing to learn new skills. You can even throw everything in the living space into a dumpster and start over with all new.

You can spend your time remodeling or spend your time out there. Anything is possible given enough time and money. I wanted to be out there so I spent my time looking for what I wouldn't have make over and spend extra to do. No matter what you choose, all are compromises in some way.

B and C said:
You can spend your time remodeling or spend your time out there.  
That's definitely something I'm also thinking about. I'm no puppy, so I do want to enjoy the outdoors as well as the inside.  This thread has really helped me.

I have an older Class B, and don’t find the jackknife bed uncomfortable, but lots of people buy toppers for these that they can roll up and stow, and that seems to work well.

Many remove the microwave for extra storage, but I just store things in mine. :sleepy:

Having limited storage actually has its advantages, in my opinion, as we tend to fill every available space and then are carrying a lot of things we don’t use.

Good luck.

WanderingRose said:
Having limited storage actually has its advantages, in my opinion, as we tend to fill every available space and then are carrying a lot of things we don’t use.

That's my faults... I'm a bit of a clothing hoarder... but, I also love going to occasional Science Fiction Fantasy conventions and festivals, so I have a small (compared to cosplayers) box of cosplay / geek clothing. I'll still be a geek well into my 60s + :)

Hi Sierranighttide, here's my two cents;

I travel solo in a Class B and have a 2 twin bed layout which allows me to create a good number of bed size and layout options.  I can have a huge King, a Queen or a Full bed, I can sleep across the rear (east-west) or length-wise.  So far as a full timer for over 2 years, I have no regrets on the floorplan.

My favorite part of my set up is that I don't have to convert anything to prepare to sleep, or to turn my van back into livable space when I wake up.

An example of a floorplan like this is available on 1999 (I think!) through 2015 Pleasure Way Excel on the TD model.  And, I know there are a number of others out there with similar twin bed floorplans.. like the Coachmen Crossfit on a Ford Transit Chassis as another example I've seen on the road.  (Note:  Rear power sofas aren't quite as flexible as 2 twins IMHO).

I would be happy to send you a pic of my current set up (PM me!) as I have slightly widened one of the twins, added a mattress topper allowing me to leave that made up as a bed.  The other twin is a sofa.  I also have the pax seat up front turned around as a recliner which gives me more living space options.

Good luck to you in your search! I needed to speak up and agree with others that say you might like the idea of a Murphy bed, but in reality, many people find it to be a big pain!

sierranighttide said:
That's my faults... I'm a bit of a clothing hoarder... but, I also love going to occasional Science Fiction Fantasy conventions and festivals, so I have a small (compared to cosplayers) box of cosplay / geek clothing. I'll still be a geek well into my 60s + :)
So get more creative, design costumes that take up less space. Design fashions that are made with fabrics that work well for travel. You obviously know how to sew and make patterns if you are into cosplay.