Civil War Re-Enactors at Manassas Battlefield

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny flank

Reaction score
This weekend marks the anniversary of the First Battle of Bull Run, aka the First Battle of Manassas. The occasion was marked by the National Park Service with a re-enacted Civil War camp on the battlefield. Alas, the weather did not cooperate—it is raining today and is supposed to rain for the next several days. So only the most dedicated re-enactors (and visitors) showed up.

41741945310_bd314d7eaa_c.jpg

42832347664_b175cfca08_c.jpg

29678561078_ba4fe2a7a0_c.jpg

Great Lenny. Where’s my thank button...

Alas, it hasn't stopped raining in VA since. I got tired of being wet, and my solar panel went on strike, so I moved a bit further west until I saw blue sky again. I'll hang out here till it all clears out.

Oh my. It's sad to know there were not so much visitors, yet still you've made some really good photos!

I don't think the Civil War was fought by fat old farts like me. :D

Regie said:
Oh my. It's sad to know there were not so much visitors, yet still you've made some really good photos!

Alas, it was raining cats and dogs. Even many of the re-enactors didn't show up.

MrNoodly said:
I don't think the Civil War was fought by fat old farts like me. :D

There were a few younger folks amongst the re-enactors, but it does seem that the newer generation isn't as interested. In chatting with re-enactors at various places, several of them have mentioned that they're concerned it will all fade out in the future.

Along similar lines, here in the east we also have what are called "Skirmishes".

Check this site of the 'North-South Skirmish Association'...there's a video summary on the home page:

http://www.n-ssa.org/

Involves live fire (not blanks) of period arms in a 'target shooting' scenario; both team and individual competitions....muskets, rifles, pistols, mortars, and the stars of the events, CANNONS. Although my favorite is the mortars...short, fat cannons that fire up in an arc...closest to target out in field wins...kinda like horseshoes with cannonballs.

A great weekend diversion for those traveling the east.   :cool:

lenny flank said:
There were a few younger folks amongst the re-enactors, but it does seem that the newer generation isn't as interested.

Younger people tend to be more interested in the present and future. Besides, will being a re-enactor increase their chances of getting laid?  :cool: :D

That's a half hour from my home.  I'm from up north where we never heard of Civil War reenactors.  Once while watching a reenactment in Virginia's 95 degree sweltering heat and humidity I questioned my Dad as to why they feel they have to do this.  His response?  "Well, I think the South is still trying to win the war."

Rolling BnB said:
 I'm from up north where we never heard of Civil War reenactors.  

So you've never been to Gettysburg.......?

Rolling BnB said:
I'm from up north where we never heard of Civil War reenactors.

What about Revolutionary War re-enactments?

Yes, there are Revolutionary War period re-enactors too. Also World War Two.

johnny b said:
Along similar lines, here in the east we also have what are called "Skirmishes".

Check this site of the 'North-South Skirmish Association'...there's a video summary on the home page:

http://www.n-ssa.org/

Involves live fire (not blanks) of period arms in a 'target shooting' scenario; both team and individual competitions....muskets, rifles, pistols, mortars, and the stars of the events, CANNONS. Although my favorite is the mortars...short, fat cannons that fire up in an arc...closest to target out in field wins...kinda like horseshoes with cannonballs.

A great weekend diversion for those traveling the east.   :cool:

This sounds like more fun to me.  Also let the public learn stuff by hands on participation.  Teach how all the parts of a company do things and let people try it.  Our young people like to do things hands on.  They are used to participating in video games.  So you have to give them something to do.  Let them learn how to do a virtual interactive attack plan.  Young people (contrary to old fart thought) are smart, and they've been leading battles ever since they were old enough to hold a joy stick.

Instead of drawing the young to the history, let the history entice youth where they are.

History being my best class in school and the Civil War caught my attention the most so I find these reenactments so fun to see. They used to do them at the Fort Dodge, Iowa Frontier days celebration wars again, but some city official thought they could make more money off of things by dividing things up and having the reenactment and buckskinners all on separate days. In my opinion not only did that not work but it ruined the frontier days thing too, as that isn't nearly as popular as it used to be.
Anyway cool post and that is one thing I hope to see once I get on the road is more reenactment stuff about the west or civil war...I'd love to have been alive during the wild west shows of old, even if they weren't accurate.

I'm working on a book about Civil War battlefields and am trying to visit as many of them as I can.

The book I did on Revolutionary War battlefields just came out last week:

Link at Amazon:

The Revolutionary War Tourist
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1610011015

Everybody buy a copy--I need the gas money, ya know. ;)

Latest posts