Citizen’s Band radio

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomad X

Reaction score
I know truckers use Channel 19 on Citizen’s Band radio to communicate with one another. Is there a particular channel an RVer should monitor to talk to other RVers? Because it seems to me this is a valuable and time-tested way of communicating with one another and might invest in a CB if there were others doing the same.

I was wondering the same thing.

I would think CB radio would work great?

CB use by RVers is just about nill. Unless you are running in a convoy and all of you coordinate and communicate on a certain channel.

If you were to look closely at every RV you see, probably less than 10 percent of them even have a CB antenna anywhere on the rig.

I have one mounted already. Mine is very short range though due to the windshield mount antenna but is great for in and around camp when camping with others. No ground plane on a fiberglass van. I have also wondered the same thing about a dedicated meetup channel. I do remember reading once where an RVer told another to broadcast on channel 6 when coming into camp. I don't know if this was a one off or a regular meetup channel.

unfortunately not many people have a CB anymore. that coupled with their limited range means CB's aren't very popular. however after saying that, I have one. they are great for when you are traveling in a group. plus they are perfectly legal to use while driving. back in the day we used channel 5. highdesertranger

Channel 19 is near the middle of the CB band frequency and is where most antennas are tuned. This gets the most range. Going higher or lower on the dial limits the range a little bit. May not even be noticeable, IDK. I don't remember any studies on it. Just sayin'.

tx2sturgis said:
CB use by RVers is just about nill. Unless you are running in a convoy and all of you coordinate and communicate on a certain channel.

If you were to look closely at every RV you see, probably less than 10 percent of them even have a CB antenna anywhere on the rig.

I see a lot of YouTube videos where folks traveling together use walkie talkies to communicate between their vehicles. You’d think with the trend toward RVers traveling in groups it would occur to someone that CB radios might come in handy.

I think if someone like Bob Wells were to endorse the use of CBs and declare one specific channel for the nomad community it might just catch on.

Especially for those who might get stranded in places where cell service is spotty, not to mention the ability to broadcast much more widely to others in your immediate area - and thus more able to respond quickly - than you could with a cell phone call.

Besides, you don’t need a service plan to use a CB radio.

Ok, Now I want a CB. It has been 25 years but I used to use them 4x4ing and camping in Maine. It's the best way to communicate when traveling in groups.
Thanks for the post Nomad X, Sorry I don't have an answer for which channel to use. Maybe we need to start one.

Back in the 80's there was a nationwide group called REACT that was on channel 9, which was monitored by police departments. As a traveler you could call for help due to break down, flat, etc. and within minutes, someone was to your location. Channel 19 was for truckers who told each other about road conditions, accidents, conversations to avoid being tired, etc.

The sad thing is with the advent of cell phones and gps, cb has died off for most. You can still get them at truckstops and they can't be beat for group talking, everyone can hear each other at the sometime, like sitting in a room talking. There was a code of ethics and everyone took their turn talking, called roundtableing. What memories.

Down under, CB's are still found in the country areas and on the highways as our cell phone coverage isn't that great.
Truckers channel is CH40 and from memory the call channel is CH11.

Most caravans and travellers tuned in to CH40, very handy for traffic alerts from the truckers and for performing passing manoeuvres on narrow roads. Good to have passing or being passed by Road Train in the outback here.