Circuit Breaker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm currently working on converting my van that previously had a handicap lift installed in it. The lift had a wire that runs up to a Hi-AMP 70A circuit breaker (looks kinda like this https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Circuit-Breaker-CB185-70A/dp/B0024JKT9W) and then to the starter battery. Can this wire that previously attached to the lift now be connected directly to my 12v deep cycle battery and have the circuit breaker act as a battery isolator? I'm not very familiar with these so I don't fully understand the purpose of them. In the picture its not currently attached to the starting battery. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_20180619_194829712.jpg
    IMG_20180619_194829712.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
The wire between 2 batteries needs over current protection at both ends.  Both ends have a battery that can deliver a large current.

It is to protect your battery in the event that the lift was overburdened.

You can remove it, if you no-longer have the lift. It will not function as an isolator.

If you have another battery, the second battery should be hooked-up so that it is not connected, until the car is started. (Unless you want it to assist with starting.) You would use a relay to close the circuit to the second battery, triggered by the ignition-run wire. (AKA: your radio-on wire)

What will happen, if your primary battery is dead... It will try to pull all the power from the second battery, which may trip any installed breaker. "200 cca", = it will pull 200 amps through the breaker, which would require a large breaker. Using the relay/solenoid, you will NOT pull power from the second battery, and it will not connect until the car is actually "started" and running off the alternator. There, you may want to keep a circuit-breaker, so your alternator does not try to charge the second battery if it is dangerously low, or short-circuited, pulling high amps from your alternator.

Your new breaker should be rated at the lowest amperage of the following...
1: The wire AWG rating
2: The relay amp-rating

Otherwise you can cause an electrical fire.

Great thanks! I'll probably just use a smart battery isolator in place of the circuit breaker.

josiahsequoyah said:
Great thanks! I'll probably just use a smart battery isolator in place of the circuit breaker.

The circuit breaker can work - if you use it as a manual switch.  AND remember to use it!

Solenoids are the simplest reliable automatic solution.  The wiring is a good learning curve project.

Fuses are bi-directional, protecting your wire no matter which end is positive. Use a properly sized fuse ate the starter battery positive and at the house battery positive. With your battery combiner between.

At high amps use fuses, Class T, MRBF terminal fuses, or ANL type