cig lighter inverter for laptop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanguy

Reaction score
hello again, guys. i'm having a problem getting the right inverter that runs from my vans battery using the cig lighter. all i would be charging is my laptop, which is a simple chromebook. not as sophisticated as other laptops.  

i had a duracell inverter, but it had a cut-off when the car battery went under a certain voltage and stopped charging. only charged it when it was running, not when it was off. the cig lighters are always on whether the van is running or not. thats how i charge my phone.

i have a full size conversion van with a somewhat new huge maintenance-free battery. im sure its battery could charge this thing no problem. 
     does anyone know of an inverter that would work for this? 

Laptops can be charged off small, inexpensive modified sine-wave inverters, But how about buying a 12 volt laptop charger for the computer instead. I was tired of leaving the inverter on just to charge the computer and wasting energy converting 12VDC to 110AC back to 18VDC. These are under $20.

Any inverter will shut down when the voltage gets low. The battery voltage may not be low enough but what the inverter is seeing through the thin wires powering the cigarette lighter will be lower than it can take.

A 12v adapter would be more efficient if one is available. You could also rewire the plug with thicker wires but a inverter will still shut down if the voltage drops.

jimindenver said:
A 12v adapter would be more efficient if one is available.  You could also rewire the plug with thicker wires but a inverter will still shut down if the voltage drops.

I'm off grid w/ 13w of solar. Which works to charge my phone, headlamp and small house light. It's not enough to charge or run my laptop. For close to 2 years I've been using a 12v adapter. I googled my laptop brand and model and found many sources. It looks like a normal power cord except it's got a ciggie plug on one end.  FYI- the adapter works to charge and run the laptop but will not boot the computer once the battery is dead. I suspect it's a math thing.

I've spend many a wintery night parked outside a closed library surfing the web. Good luck.

The DC to DC laptop car adapters are significantly more efficient than using an inverter to power the original power brick which came with the laptop.

That original power brick takes 115vac and converts it to 18-19.5vDC.

Your inverter is taking your battery voltage 12.x vDC to 115vAC, and then the power brick is reconverting it back to 18-19.5vdc

Double conversion= more losses.

The inverter giving up is likely due to too thin of wiring to the ciggy plug receptacle.  This is common.  When I first got an inverter back in 2001, it could not power my laptop from a rear ciggy plug receptacle, but could from the one on my dashboard.

The problem is the wiring.  It is too long and too thin and when the laptop places a load on the wiring, it has too much resistance, causes the voltage to drop too far and the inverter cannot work.

When the voltage drops, the amperage the power brick pulls increases, causing even more voltage drop.

Ciggy plugs are problematic themselves, even if the wiring to them is sufficient.   They rely on spring loaded steel contacts both on the Nipple(+) and the sides(-).  These contacts are usually steel, which is not a great conductor.  When the current the device asks for is great, these contacts heat up greatly.  Eventually the springs lose their spring.  They can even melt the plastic that houses them.

012copy_zpse14190f3.jpg

Ciggy plugs and receptacles are a ubiquitous connector, but they are a poor connector, that wastes electricity by heating the wiring and contacts on connections.  One can improve their devices with higher quality receptacles and plugs, but the basic issues are not eliminated.

Here is a BlueSeas plug and receptacle I bought for my laptop power supply, but I have never put it into use.
033copy_zps741af5b0.jpg

This plug kind of locks in place in the receptacle:
041copy_zps90dfe626.jpg

The OP can choose to rewire their existing ciggy receptacles and eliminate the issues of the inverter getting too low a voltage.  12 awg wire can be used, and it should be fused within 7 inches of the battery terminals.

I have many Ciggy receptacles, but only ask them to pass around 1 amp.  My laptop can draw upto 8.5, and this was too much for the Ciggy plugs.

I use Anderson powerpoles in the 45 amp flavor for all my connectors now, and am Phasing out the SAE 12v connectors I originally used.

A DC to DC car adapter for the chromebook might also eliminate the issue.

And while the large battery in the Van might  look impressive, most people Assume that the alternator is a magical near instant battery recharger, but this is false.  It is quite easy to deplete a battery, and replacing what was taken takes much much longer than most people think.

Getting a battery from 80% to 100% takes about 4 hours, no matter how powerful the charging source, and when a battery is under 80% charged, it is degrading.  The lower it rests and the longer it rests there, the more it is degraded, and the harder it is to return it to its maximum remaining capacity, which is not the same at its capacity when new.

I have devices that measure amp consumption.  Last night I streamed 3 Movies on my laptop.  It consumed 47.98Amp hours from my 130 AH battery, which is likely now only a 85 amp hour battery after ~460 cycles and mostly prompt and proper recharging.

A starting battery would never last 460 cycles depleted to 50% or more even if recharged promptly and fully after each discharge.

The largest battery which can fit in an engine compartment on a Van is likely 100 to 115AH.  So while it might appear impressive in size weight and price to replace, it does not store that much energy.  My laptop alone could deplete such a battery to ~50% just streaming 3 movies.

So the Combination of too thin of wiring to the ciggy receptacle, the poor nature of the contacts of ciggy plug and receptacle, the double conversion losses, and battery degradation due to chronic undercharging, all contribute to this ciggy plug inverter not being able to properly power even the chromebook's lesser electrical demands, compared to other laptops.

Wow, I didn't even know they made 12 volt chargers for laptops. I just ordered one off of ebay....sorry Bob, Amazon didn't have any that suited me or my computer this time. This will save a lot of aggravation and power. I am trying to keep as much as I can straight 12 volts when possible. It is much simpler and efficient. I am starting to like those qualities more and more since I got the little Runaway trailer. It has to be kept simple and efficient with it.

I set up three of those 12v BlueSeas outlets.  I have the power coming off of my dedicated distribution box with 15 A fuses.   

I also put 15A switches on each unit.

The D Box is on the other side of the wall from the outlet.  A 1 foot run My laptop charges up within 2 hours.

Attachments

• outlets.jpg
    outlets.jpg
    841.1 KB · Views: 16
thanks guys. looks like a DC to DC plug looks like the best option. i always hated the idea that DC has to go to AC just to go back to DC again. it wastes a lot of energy. and thanks, bob. i'll do a little more research, but it looks like that plug in the link you have will work.

If any of you like me would like to have something like this with some flexibility this product would do it.
http://www.amazon.com/Converter-Vol...=1-2&keywords=12+volt+to+19+volt+power+supply

you can use this on a 12 volt input from your house battery or starting battery and adjust the output voltage to suit your needs from roughly 9 volts to 35 volts.

I like this because I can use it for several items that all have differing power requirements including laptop etc.

MikeRuth said:
If any of you like me would like to have something like this with some flexibility this product would do it.
http://www.amazon.com/Converter-Vol...=1-2&keywords=12+volt+to+19+volt+power+supply

you can use this on a 12 volt input from your house battery or starting battery and adjust the output voltage to suit your needs from roughly 9 volts to 35 volts.

I like this because I can use it for several items that all have differing power requirements including laptop etc.

I actually own that converter/voltage  regulator.  However my Dell laptop requires a 3rd pin and using this converter will power my Dell, but the battery will not charge.

I've only used the converter to turn 12v fans into hovercraft at 33volts.