Christmas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivGolden

Reaction score
As of today, Christmas is four months away. This will be my first on the road, on my own. I'm looking forward to it but also want a plan. I'm thinking Sedona. Has anyone been? Boondocking, nearby? Weather, that time of year?

Sedona is at 4,000 ft so at Christmas time it's likely to be way too cold.

A lot of us gather in the Quartzite Ehrenberg area and by the time Christmas is near you'll probably  have already met at least a few other people.

Someone always seems to plan a Xmas eve gathering or some make plans for Xmas day etc.

Don't expect a tree and pressies though.... :D :D

We had a great Christmas last year in Ehrenberg. Over 40 people showed up for a pot luck

I’ve been in Sedona late January, escaping a cold spell in Colorado. I liked it. It did snow, but it would melt the same day.

I've been to Sedona in Springtime but like the idea of visiting in a colder month. Maybe a visit before Ehrenberg for Christmas.

Have you been to Ehrenberg? The place BW recommends, ie 1/2 mile or so south of I-10 and 1 1/2 mile or so east of the Flying-J interchange down a crappy BLM road, is really kind of horrible. Next time I go to Quartzsite, I plan to boondock on Dome Rock Road. It's a huge area and several 100 RVs were in there all the time I was in the area last February.

Qin Reno - keep in mind that that location on Dome Rock Rd is within the 25 mile radius of Quartzite and so will end you up with time line problems for January and the RTR.

Also, I've noticed that a great deal of the people there (more so than the Ehrenberg location) are running ATVs and quads. You  may find it noisier there.

There are absolutely huge areas to find camping outside the 25 miles radius.

There is good BLM camping all the way from Lake Mead down the Colorado river corridor (not on the river always) all the way to Yuma.

You can also stay for up to 14 days a year on the National Wildlife Refuge areas like Kofa.

A lot of people stay in the Ehrenberg area because it is closer to decent shopping (Blythe) AND outside the 25 mile radius of Quartzite in preparation for the RTR.

Keep in mind that ALL BLM dispersed camping (not LTVA) requires that you move every 14 days. Yes, some areas have more enforcement than others but the rules still exist and should be planned on being abided by.

AT, I know all of those things and have traveled all over the area. At least 100,000 people stay around Quartzsite in RVs all winter long, and RTR is just a tiny drop in the bucket. I was just commenting that, from what I saw, Ehrenberg per se was the worst choice in the entire area. (my secret plan is to find out where the Womans-RTR is at Bouse and then move in there **after** they all go to Scaddan Wash, LOL).

The other thing is that the areas around Parker and also Lake Havasu City are much nicer from my experience than around Quartzsite in general.

Well, it's no longer a secret is it??... :D 

While you  may know all the areas, we're mostly dealing with newbies here who don't know the area so it's well worth explaining, particularly for those who are planning on attending the RTR.

Those 100,000 who stay around Quartzite all winter are either plugged in, in one of the many RV parks in the area, or they are staying on one of the LTVA's (I think there's 5 or 6 of them). The area is highly monitored and the rules mostly enforced.

Almost There said:
While you  may know all the areas, we're mostly dealing with newbies here who don't know the area so it's well worth explaining, particularly for those who are planning on attending the RTR.
That's why I figured any newbies would find Ehrenberg extremely .... disappointing. So better to go to essentially "any" other place around there. If I prioritized all the areas within a 50-mile radius of Q, then E would be on the very bottom. Plus the little town of E with its 6 buildings is pretty horrid in its own right. I hope BW doesn't hit me with a hammer.

1. Lake Havasu City (lotsa room, very nice small city)
2. Parker area
3. Quartzsite area
99. Ehrenberg

Almost There said:
A lot of people stay in the Ehrenberg area because it is closer to decent shopping (Blythe) AND outside the 25 mile radius of Quartzite in preparation for the RTR.

Actually the location of the RTR to the location of where people camp near Ehrenberg is under 25 miles (18.91 to be exact), and the proposed new location for the RTR would be closer yet (17.5 miles?). So, if one is abiding by the BLM rules Ehrenberg is too close to camp in preparation for the RTR.

The reason people stay in the Ehrenberg area is because that's what they've been advised to do by CRVL.

q to e.jpg

Attachments

• q to e.jpg
    q to e.jpg
    48.3 KB
Parker is 34-miles from Q. Bouse is 36-miles by road. Plus you can always stay at La Posa for $40 for 2-weeks, or $2.85/night.

bonvanroulez said:
The reason people stay in the Ehrenberg area is because that's what they've been advised to do by CRVL.
And up until last  year it was sound advice for a lot of newbies who didn't know how to find BLM dispersed camping on their own.

The area became widely broadcast by many, many Youtubers and the BLM rangers started enforcing the rules that had been in place for years.

Ehrenberg #99 LOL :D...I am listening! Sounds like Sedona! Thanks!  ;)

Actually, what you find in Sedona is heaven as compared to what you find in Ehrenberg. However, possibly both of them have been overrun now, but by completely different sets of people and for completely different reasons. Everyone in the universe wants to go to Sedona. But did BW kill Ehrenberg due to over-advertising?

A nice vfw at Bouse has parking available.There is also a vfw in Parker with a lot of parking.

This was the first I'd ever heard of Ehrenberg. Interesting. Can't beat Sedona for setting. I guess we'll see.

QinReno said:
That's why I figured any newbies would find Ehrenberg extremely .... disappointing. 
3. Quartzsite area
99. Ehrenberg

I get the feeling you don't like Ehrenberg :)

I spent some time up on the plateau at Ehrenberg & really didn't mind it, that's where the people where. I came in November that first year and meeting other vandwellers was the big part of Ehrenberg.  Christmas was up there too & we had a nice time.

But I'm one of the people who likes the tribe, a few friends around the campfire is really good!  There are others who don't want to be by people, just how it is.

Christmas (for me) is the people.

becida said:
I get the feeling you don't like Ehrenberg :)

I spent some time up on the plateau at Ehrenberg & really didn't mind it, that's where the people where. I came in November that first year and meeting other vandwellers was the big part of Ehrenberg.  Christmas was up there too & we had a nice time.

But I'm one of the people who likes the tribe, a few friends around the campfire is really good!  There are others who don't want to be by people, just how it is.

Christmas (for me) is the people.
I like Ehrenberg just fine, being a minimalist and ascetic myself. My comments were about "relative" rankings, especially for a gal like LV who clearly is used to the finer things in life. I mean anyone who mentions Sedona certainly likes the "in" places, :). She might settle in Lake Havasu but not likely in Ehrenberg, but ya never know. In the end she might say: to heck with comfort, and trade Sedona for Ehrenberg. The real outback with nothing but you and the coyotes is sometimes an epiphany.