Chevy Express / White Roof?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keightley

Reaction score
I messed up the white raptor rooftop when I was painting the black trim surrounding the back doors of my Chevy Express with black Raptor aerosol cans.  Never again will I use those.  The overspray is so much more than using a paint gun!  Anyway, the overspray that settled on the white roof makes it look dingy.  I was going to spray one more coat of white Raptor on it to fix it but now I am rethinking.  I am thinking that it may just be easier and even look better if I paint the roof same color I painted the body with, Cool Grey Khaki which is a grey blue.  The reason I painted the roof white in the first place was to help with heat in the summer. 

So my questions is this. Will having a white roof really make much difference to the interior temperature during the summer?  

Keightley

it will make a difference to have a white roof versus a grey roof. Grey has black in it and that means it will absorb more heat than pure white.

Go to the hardware store and buy some of the thin plastic sheets used by painters to mask stuff. Get some of the masking tape used for painting, not the narrow rolls but the next wider rolls. It is not that difficult of a job to put it up even working alone. I did it for the two tone paint job on my travel trailer.

Working alone put some tabs of tape every foot or two as you stretch out the plastic sheet. Then go back and put on lines of tape about 18" to 24" or whatever is comfortable for you reach. secure it at the opposite edge of the drape and the sides so that the wind does not get under it and lift it into your wet paint.

The body is not grey.  It is a blue color.  The name is cool grey khaki and it is a Subaru color.

Here are some pictures before I sprayed the black trim. I apologize that these pictures are sideways.  I am posting this from my phone sitting in a bar bemoaning how I messed up such a perfect paint job!

6872F681-3D51-453A-9C95-3DD55F690CC9.jpeg

7080255C-3C94-438D-B723-EC2484743286.jpeg

So as you can see, no gray. 

Keightley

Attachments

• 6872F681-3D51-453A-9C95-3DD55F690CC9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 7080255C-3C94-438D-B723-EC2484743286.jpeg
    7080255C-3C94-438D-B723-EC2484743286.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
I am a firm believer in if really you want it a particular color then that is the color you ought to paint it. (Unless of course the law restricts it. )

You are the person who owns it, you are the person who is dwelling in it. Other people can give valid reasons to do or not to do but in the end if you are happy with the results and happy to live in it then paint it with whatever color and scheme suits you. It's just paint and it can be always be repainted if you change your mind.

Will you be mounting solar panels, racks or vents on the roof? White is always cooler in my experience but if shaded it will not matter that much.