Cheap solar panels...but are they worth it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan

Reaction score
I don't know much about solar and I'm not sure if these are with my time. The cost of each panel is very...very cheap. So I'm thinking about picking up some of these.

Thoughts?
Bryan

Screenshot_20230426_085634.png

Depends how big they are... a friend got a 250 watt that is similar in size to my 325 watt panels. For me it’s about how much real estate they take up on the roof for what they offer.
And are they new or used...?
If they are cheap and will work for ya it may be worth a try. I think many people pay to much. Is there a warranty?

Depends how big they are... a friend got a 250 watt that is similar in size to my 325 watt panels. For me it’s about how much real estate they take up on the roof for what they offer.
And are they new or used...?
If they are cheap and will work for ya it may be worth a try. I think many people pay to much. Is there a warranty?
Brand new. Measures at 32" x 63.5"

I bought 1400 watts in 6 USED panels from SanTan Solar ( in Phoenix )for $423, tested working and yes slightly blemished. (.302 p watt) but as per an above comment, it was more about the size than the capacity.

They have been producing their rated capacity.

You left out what the physical size of the panels are, and what their output capacity is? Where will they be mounted and how many will you use? What will they be connected to?

Also very important. You'll want to define "cheap" in this context.

If you're in the area and are tight on cash it's hard to beat 250w for $50 just to get something on your rig.

You can always upgrade watts for the same size when money is better.

Thumbs up to San Tan Solar. I bought a single 400 watt panel for $190 about 3 years ago. I mount this on the fiberglass shell over the back of my pickup truck and I use it to charge my Bluetti which is also locked inside the shell of the pickup. Then I just plug my Casita trailer into the Bluetti to supply electricity in the evenings. Been working really great for three years and it was easy to get set up.
Google San Tan Solar (in Gilbert Arizona) to see a listing of their new, used and damaged panels and prices. You can get a really great deal!

I don't know much about solar and I'm not sure if these are with my time. The cost of each panel is very...very cheap. So I'm thinking about picking up some of these.
Would it make any difference that SolarWorld filed for bankruptcy? That would affect pricing, huh? Doesn’t mean that there is a problem with their panels, but you might want to check first.

Also very important. You'll want to define "cheap" in this context.

If you're in the area and are tight on cash it's hard to beat 250w for $50 just to get something on your rig.

You can always upgrade watts for the same size when money is better.
These were $50 per panel so it doesn't sound like a great deal as of right now. I might make a trip out to San Tan Solar to gear up when I'm ready.

Tha ks for the help :)

I bought eight 255-watt, slightly used "industrial grade" panels, which is what you're getting, over a year ago, and they arrived in Houston well-packaged and looked almost new. I understand the lot I purchased from had only been in service for three years. They are good for 25 years. I have them in two arrays through two charge controllers to maintain my 400 amp 24-volt lithium battery bank; they've done an excellent job so far, and I got them for $60 each. SanTan was recommended to me, and I recommend them to others and is a great place to get used panels. My rep's name was Austin.

I'll throw in with SanTan as well. That awesome pricing though is based on pickup and no delivery. The Phoenix location makes that easy in season.

I've always had good luck with daytime, not rush hour traffic. I believe the timing of Phoenix's development allowed for integrated planning and construction of their inventory infrastructure. I usually run a few errands while going through, boondocking on either side. The Downtown Farmer's Market on Saturday's is very cool, but a little bit of a hassle to access - especially for bigger rigs and the winter 22/23 construction. Other markets also operate on Saturday's, but I have not attempted.

Blue Sky Farms, 3 miles off of I-10 to the west in Litchfield Park, has greatly expanded hours. I believe all do the double up produce service, an excellent opportunity for those receiving SNAP. If so there is also a step van that serves many low income neighborhoods throughout the week. Fair chance you can find a location that works for your drive schedule.

I bought my panels 5 years ago for 50 cents a watt.......Those were NEW Blemished panels and still working today

I've installed several of the used 250 watt for $50 from SanTan Solar
SanTan has some great prices on used/blem panels. Sadly, I can't justify a 4 day drive (one way) to buy any. Short of that, I did notice that Amazon has 100 watt mono panels as cheap as $68 at the present time (mid-June 2023).

And while they might not be priced as low as santan, there are a number of places selling used solar panels for good prices across the US.

Search craigslist, fb marketplace, offer up, etc and you'll find them. They have to do something with used panels, and recycling isn't really up to speed at this point.

At todays prices (I've seen 100 a mono panels as cheap as $65 freight included on Amazon), its getting quite affordable to learn. For me anyway, that's the only way I can figure it out.

I have a 4 yr old Grape Solar 100a mono kit from H Depot, it came with a 10a PWM chepo flashing lights controller and the necessary wiring. Basic but it works.

I would recommend the most basic $10-12 multimeter from Amazon or H Fright so you can check polarity of the wiring as it's not always "right". See YT videos for how to check dc polarity.

SanTan has some great prices on used/blem panels. Sadly, I can't justify a 4 day drive (one way) to buy any. Short of that, I did notice that Amazon has 100 watt mono panels as cheap as $68 at the present time (mid-June 2023).
I bought eight 255-watt used panels from Santan two years ago, and they still work like a charm. I paid $60 each; they're industrial grade and only used for under five years of their 25-year warranty. New, they were nearly $400 each. I have them in two 1000-watt arrays through two charge controllers and maintain a 400ah 25.6volt LiFePO4 battery bank. So, yeah, look at good used but not cheap used; there is a big difference.

Edit: Scrolling back, I see I've already replied to this, but as an adder, the shipping from Phoenix to Houston wasn't that bad for what I got; I still came out ahead.

Last edited: