Cheap Moble Data

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karen

Reaction score
Hi. This isn't spam - no referral codes or anything here - just wanted to share.

I just signed up for a free 30 day 2GB data plan that uses Sprint's network - both WiMax and 3G - on a refurbished hotspot for $16 shipping. After my free 30 days (which starts the moment I signed up even though I don't have the hotspot yet), additional 2GBs per month will be $19.95.

I plan on seeing how much data I use, and if its only about 500MBs of data used, I will cancel that plan and sign up for their free 500GB plan (which I think they still charge $.99/month).

I would have bought this hotspot sooner for that 500MB plan but they said that later they will offer LTE service and I'd have to trade in for a new hotspot. But since I was on their mailing list they offered it for shipping only, so I couldn't refuse.

Anyways, I will report back on how it works here in LA. (Not currently van dwelling yet)

The company is freedompop. You can search for it yourself. If you add yourself to their mailing list, perhaps you will get the offer yourself.

Folks need to be prepared to give them a street address in order to get past the home page.

500MB of internet data? &nbsp;I think I could use up that much in 10 seconds.<br><br>

<a href="/post/FreedomPop-ISP-6254673?highlight=freedompop" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">FreedomPop ISP</a>

karen - can you explain in more detail?<br><br>1)&nbsp; When you say you will cancel and then pay only $1 per month, is that to keep the account open?&nbsp; or do you get 500M even at that level?<br><br>2)&nbsp; What happens when you go over?<br><br>3)&nbsp; $20 is a cheap hotspot anyway you get it.&nbsp; but only if you can get connectivity.&nbsp; Do you have a link to the coverage maps?

Sprint has a cheaper plan than anyone else beside virgin.. However I've heard their data coverage isn't that great. Virgin on the other hand Iv'e heard good things about, assuming you never leave bigger cities. I'd assume sprint is much the same.<br><br>If you only use your phone to connect to the net, then Walmart's&nbsp;straight&nbsp;talk is a great deal. $45 for unlimited everything with no contract.. However they won't let you tether the phone to a laptop or tablet. They will&nbsp;cancel&nbsp;your service if you do.

I have the Millenicom 20GB per month plan with MiFi Jetpack for my computer and phone. It is $70 tax included. I have a free Google voice phone number which rings my Android phone. My Android phone has no calling plan at all, it uses the MiFi and Internet to make/receive calls and texts. I used to pay $55 for internet and $55 for phone so this is cheaper for me. This has worked well for me the last 9 months.

What is the coverage like for&nbsp;<span style="line-height: 20px;">Millenicom, are you based in the same area most of the time or do you travel? <br><br>I've never heard of Millenicom so I just did a quick search and seems they use Sprint's towers. I assume that would be a good indication of if Sprint has very good coverage for data.&nbsp;</span>

<span style="line-height: 20px;">Millenicom resells both Sprint and Verizon. I used their byod service for 2 years here at the S&amp;B before cable became&nbsp;available&nbsp; No problems at all, They activated our aircards and we were off and running. Never had an issue on either network. &nbsp;</span>

You have to ask <span id="post_message_1278071912"><span style="line-height: 20px;">Millenicom when ordering or check out your order good. Some products use Sprint network and some use Verizon. I prefer the Verizon network coverage.<br></span></span>

Sprint is extremely limited in the hinterlands<br><br>gus