Cheap Casserole that Tastes Good!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanTrekker

Reaction score
<p style="margin: 0px;">I make this from time to tiime and it's pretty tasty.&nbsp; Best of all, it uses cheap ingredients.&nbsp;&nbsp; You can scale it however you like...</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">1 lb of pork chops or loin slices,&nbsp;browned&nbsp;(I season w/ garlic salt and pepper)</p><p style="margin: 0px;">1/2 package of cole slaw mix or just some shredded cabbage (about 3 cups)</p><p style="margin: 0px;">1 sliced onion</p><p style="margin: 0px;">1 can cream of mushroom soup</p><p style="margin: 0px;">1 baker potato</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Slice the potato thinly.&nbsp; Layer potato, cabbage, onion some of the condensed soup in a baking dish.&nbsp; Repeat.&nbsp; Sprinkle on 1-2T flour.&nbsp; Top with the browned pork chops.&nbsp;&nbsp; Bake at 350 for an hour (covered). Uncover and bake a little longer till browned and the potatoes are soft.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">This dish is very flexible.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've added in bacon, omitted the potatoes, added cheese, you name it.&nbsp; Everything&nbsp;seems to work well!</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">It keeps well, too.&nbsp; You can make it in a dutch oven while camping...&nbsp;It goes great with biscuits, too.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

you just reminded me I forgot lunch... Sounds really good, I also am a big fan of pork....<br>

&nbsp;It's Hotdish! We'd never heard this term until we visited Minnesota. Take any meat , any starch , any vegetable , a can of cream soup , put them all in a casserole dish and bake. Lots of variations and most taste good!<br>

Yup. Minnesota is the testing ground for all of Campbell "Cream of" soups. I lived there for a bit and collected quite a few tasty hotdish recipes. Many can be made in solar or dutch ovens like Brad suggested.<div><br><div><br></div></div>

Dont forget those canned sliced or whole white potatoes... Perfect for any meal and cooks up great in any method of cooking ya do... my fav is pork loin steaks with whole white potatoes and fried green beans... Fast, easy and cheap for when raw potatoes just take to long to cook...<br><br>I have to agree with cream of ___ soup, man such flavor and also makes great gravy.... Hmm fried Chicken, mashed potatoes and cream of chicken gravy... this list is endless...<br><br>not like Mom made it, but a damn close second in a pinch...<br>

Those baby reds, chopped up, work and taste great too! They even cook a little easier than the larger russets.<div><br></div><div><br></div>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Those baby reds are to die for... I use them in stew and they come out so soft and tasty...&nbsp; Hobo stew sounds like a good thing to cook on next week's trip.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">The baby reds also make awesome potato salad.&nbsp;&nbsp; Yum.&nbsp; :)</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">At the moment,&nbsp;there are&nbsp;red lentils soaking.&nbsp; Tomorrow they will&nbsp;cook&nbsp;in the crockpot while trout fishing and/or mushroom hunting in the boonies.&nbsp; If the fishing doesn't "pan out" then at least there&nbsp;will be a backup dish warm and waiting.&nbsp; Someone at the drive-in will be asking who is cooking Indian food.&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks for the suggestion about the baby reds.&nbsp; They got added to this week's grocery list.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">VT</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp; </p>