changing church attendance locations on the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I am neither religious nor Christian (except in the cultural sense). However I am curious how adherents of popular religions in America maintain church socializing and worship while living on the road. I would presume (perhaps I am wrong) that Catholics might find this easier than Protestants, even though post-Vatican II the language of liturgy is no longer universal. Also, maybe evanegelical churches might have a more open-door policy.

If you are a church-goer do you find yourself welcome at 'strange' churches?

I invite the experiences of Hindus, Buddhists, etc also.

BTW, for those of you who like veg South Asian food I highly recommend visiting a Sikh temple (gurudwara or nankasar) for a free meal. Typically Sunday lunches but some large urban centers have 7-days a week 24-hours a day service. Not only is the food wholesome and filling the gurubani (hymns), if the administration hasn't cranked up the PA system to maximum, can be enjoyable. Most cities will have one of these houses of worship. Although you might feel out of place among the Punjabis, the place will be full of truckers among the local community. Ask away! I usually give a modest donation. Make sure you cover your head with a cloth provided. And take off your shoes.

I visit Quaker meetings, Unitarian Universalist churches, Buddhist temples and 12-step meetings.

Sikh is now on the list.

For Catholic churches, I've never had an issue visiting other parishes while traveling. I'm rather introverted, so I appreciate that there's no expectation of interacting with strangers besides the kiss of peace. However, there are always plenty of ppl willing to be sociable if a person wants that. The only real issue I've run into is when the churches have different layouts. When the church I visit has an unfamiliar layout I sit towards the back so I can watch the flow of traffic before going up for Communion or a blessing.

I speak English, but I lived in TX for 10 years and attended many Spanish and bilingual Masses. Even in a different language, that order of the Mass is the same. It's perfectly acceptable to say the proper responses in your mother tongue. There are usually books available that have the Mass written out so you can follow along. In a bilingual area, these books are bilingual so you can still read along with the readings even if they're being read aloud in another language.

I make it a point to be in some Church each Sunday. It matters not what doctrine. As a true wayfaring stranger, these are some of my fondest memories.

Talked with someone in charge of the little ones while the adults were in at the Sunday Service. She had the children drawing inspirational items, and as she walked among them she paused at one little girl and her drawing and asked, "What are you drawing?". "I'm drawing God!" she replied. "Well sweetie", the woman began, "no one knows what God looks like." Without looking up or missing a beat the little girl replies, "They will in a minute."

My first son, around 3-4 y.o., **very** little exposure to any spiritual indoctrination,

woken in the middle of the night, called out "Daddy!

I just had a really cool dream, I was talking to God!"

"What did God look like son?"

"A very very old star. . ."

Still get shivers recalling this, was a strong Wow moment, straight from the Collective Unconscious that.

After joining the navy at 17 I kinda drifted away from church and when I came home after 8 years I did not attend church services with my family.
One day I was asked if I was no longer a Christian. I had not given it much thought till then and it got me thinking.. 

and I found that, Yes,  I am a Christian with deep Christian beliefs, but I realized that I did not like "Religion" with all of it's rites and " must do's " like mandatory church attendance.

I guess I'm kinda like that CW song that say's  "me and the good Lord will have a talking tonight" (or something like that)  :shy:
So I carry my "church" in my mind and heart and don't attend any "Religious" type gatherings.

but as I always say.. "To each their own" .. I always respect others and ask only that they respect me.. 

John

making fun of or mocking people who go to church will not be tolerated. a few posts have already been deleted. if you don't have anything relevant to the question asked in the Original post then don't post. highdesertranger

Churches are another form of seperating or uniting depending if you agree or disagree with the said gods, They are a great way to socialize and a good place for a free lunch, a nice place to sit and meditate, they often have clean washrooms and if you are lucky may even find a shower. The seats are usually uncomfortable, they are cold in the winter, have dress codes, and likely unwelcoming to strangers, they have expectations on those who visit and 7000 of them close every year in America.

I attend a church every Sunday, where ever I am. I give faithfully every week to the church.

It seems that the more I give, the more I am blessed in my life in so many ways.

I won't change ever...

I on the other hand change every minute as does just about everything on the planet, otherwise the possibility of becoming concretized becomes a reality. Keeping an open mind is far more liberating then closing it.

Riverman said:
I attend a church every Sunday, where ever I am.  I give faithfully every week to the church.

It seems that the more I give, the more I am blessed in my life in so many ways.

I won't change ever...

For me it is all revealed in the meal, and you have to be in a community for that. I am blessed that my faith tradition honors many other traditions, so I am free to enjoy whatever community is gathering where I am at.  

I also multiply my enjoyment of money by giving to others, as you do.          ~crofter

I attend when it's not too far from where I'm camped. I always wear jeans and a tee-shirt my preferred mode of dress. Over the last 5 years I don't remember having a bad experience.

I approach life with the attitude that no one owes me anything so I'm genuinely appreciaitive when folks treat me well and I move on when they don't

:angel:  I look forward to Sunday mornings. I have never been turned away or made to feel anything other than welcomed. 

flying kurbmaster said:
" If everyone is doing it, then why the Hell should I "
Paradoxical nullifying counter proposal for you: "Everyone is free to make their own choices". (within certain boundaries of course).

Latest posts