Cat Door in Floorboard

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanDweller

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm aiming to buy a 2014 Ford Transit Connect to continue van life with my cat.  For the last five years we have lived in a too giant Roadtrek POS.  I installed a pet door in the sidewall of the Roadtrek.  On a hot day, I'll just run the vent fan and have his door open so air can circulate and he is free to come and go.  We rolled to South America and back like that, always finding the cat paradises every evening.  He knows not to go far and always comes back. Anyway,  we're downsizing to a Ford Transit Connect and want to install in it another pet door, but would like to avoid having it on the side or back of the van, but rather hidden, through the floorboard underneath.  This way it won't draw any attention. But I'm guessing cutting a hole in the floorboard is a disaster recipe.  Once you've cut into it, wouldn't it want to rust?  If there is a way to avoid that problem, the next thought is what to use as a door in the hole I will have made and how to make it so that driving over puddles is not a concern.  Any ideas?  Anyone installed a pet door in your vehicle?

Oops, I ended up making duplicate threads. All because I was trying to correct "express" to say "connect". For the life of me I can't find the delete button. Oh well. It was supposed to be the other thread.
Edit by moderator rvwandering: Changed the express to connect and deleted your duplicate post.

Hey DanDweller, you might want to consider a 6" or 8" marine hatch (depending on kitty girth) in an inconspicuous place in the floor.  These are made from plastic so keep it away from hot exhaust.  They have a large o-ring and will seal water and air when closed.  

Link to Seaflo 4" - 8" Black Circular Non Slip Inspection Hatch w/Detachable Cover

https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Black...KRPSSZ52PPZ3MMETN&refRID=GQ8KRPSSZ52PPZ3MMETN

Attachments

• 51G9S3nNNWL.jpg
    51G9S3nNNWL.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 2
Marine inspection plates are available in stainless steel. But in that type of location you might want to create a baffle box on the interior. Racoons, coyotes, rats will go underneath the vans at night time and so do insects so you do need a protected opening that will only allow the cat to get into your van.

But a baffle box that opens to the inspection plate could have one of the magnetic or RFID chip collar triggered cat/dog swing doors on it. You can hinge the baffle box and put a latch on it so that you can quickly swing it up to open and close the inspection plate. Or the baffle box can be the inside of a lower cabinet or compartment under the bed so you are not tripping over it. But it has to be easy to access. The cat needs enough floor space inside the box to stand on to transition from the opening in the floor to the swing open cat door.

Coyotes and owls are some of the things that eat cats. While roaming, cats eat birds. Many endangered birds are being lead to extinction by outdoor cats. Be responsible owner and keep your cat or cats indoors.

Wouldn't a floor mounted door create a tripping hazard when closed, or worse yet, a fall through hole when open ? If it were my van, I would mount a rear door hatch, that the cat could jump up on the rear bumper, and enter through a hole in the back door, especially if you already have a spare tire, or bicycle rack there for added protection. I wouldn't like the idea of a hole in my floor for any reason.

You probably already know this, but for others that are thinking about this:

• It needs to be airtight whenever the engine is running.  Under the right conditions exhaust gasses can enter; the CO can kill you, the noxious gasses can make you very sick.
  • Anything cat sized or smaller can enter.
  • A cat is both predator and prey.  Any predator that feasts on rabbit will go after a cat.

The poster did state they have already been having their cat go in and out the cat door in their van for quite some time. People who own cats are well aware of the risk of predators to indoor outdoor cats.

There are cat door that have magnetic or RFID latches that will prevent other animals from being able to enter through the cat door.

Thanks for the ideas folks. If I put it in the floorboard, I'll use the marine hatch that was recommended. Still not sure about cutting the floor though. I thought I had read somewhere that the floor of a car has a special coating over the metal, and that once you cut into it, you leave it vulnerable. Not sure.

I like the idea of putting the door in the back of the van, hidden by a bike or spare tire. The problem I see there is that a typical pet door would allow some exhaust fumes to enter. It will have to be covered with something while driving anyway, so I gueds it's just a question of making sure it seals.

To keep my cat only indoors would be to torture him. Sorry birds. Risk of predators to my cat is just the risk/cost of living. There's only so much we can do to fight against the inevitable.

If you are nervous about doing the installation pay an automotive body shop to do the work and ask them to treat the cut edges of the metal for rust prevention.

The body shop could even tell you if you can put the hatch where you want it and if not, point out places it will work.

Marine deck plates are pretty flat, should not be a tripping problem.

Have the hole cut by a pro, as he should know not to drill/cut where there's something underneath. Tell him it's for the cat, so he won't put it beside something hot.

Install a sturdy metal screen to keep out 'visitors' at night.