Carla's Camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..................2-5 300WH panels...................

The "H" is a problem.........It's just Watts..........That's 600 to1500 watts of solar............I have 600 watts about Eight feet of the van covered side-to-side

600 amps of battery is good.....team them with 800+ watts of solar panels........Santan has some deal$.....trailers can be "special" to mount panels

And yet again what do you do when the sun doesn’t shine? How much does 600 amps of lithium batteries cost?

The "H" is a problem.........It's just Watts..........That's 600 to1500 watts of solar............I have 600 watts about Eight feet of the van covered side-to-side

600 amps of battery is good.....team them with 800+ watts of solar panels........Santan has some deal$.....trailers can be "special" to mount panels
Thanks. I have a block against learning electrical/mechanical stuff.

That is what I would need to run a 9000btu minisplit?

And yet again what do you do when the sun doesn’t shine? How much does 600 amps of lithium batteries cost?
What does the cost matter?

If I run out of power due to weather, I'd get shore power for a day to charge everything. Gotta have that reserve.

Are winters milder in Mexico?

Now is a great time to buy on sale a small inverter generator & battery charger to use during cloudy days and/or bad weather.

If cost doesn’t matter you can do almost anything as far as RV living goes! There aren’t many if any places inside the the continental United States that meet my desires for comfortable temps and living conditions out doors year round but moving different times of the year helps. There are lots of previous discussions here for you to check out. It is easier and cheaper to live if the outside temps are close to the inside temps you are comfortable in for sure. It is all about your personal preference and means to do so. There are many more compromises required if you don’t have the means to deal with them.

Excuse me but WHAT are you going to do with your PEE ?................

.Installing our undermount black tank for liquids only was THE biggest improvement in VanLife for US..............
My toilet is designed for the poo to go into a biodegradable bag and the pee goes into a jug. In a park the poo bags go into the trash and pee jug is poured into whatever toilet is available. If there is no available toilet, and there seldom is in most places I camp, I pour it on the ground "carefully" to make sure to not damage or over stimulate any one plant. It is actually good for most plants. I am not so sure about the impact on our environment of the chemicals used in black tanks or cassette toilets.

Many animals "mark" their territory to discourage other animals. They, and we ARE animals too, have been doing this forever. And I would submit that in the long list of things humanity has done to the planet, this would NOT fall anywhere close to the harmful list. Finally, ever wonder what those pet owners that dutifully collect their pet's poo do about their pet's pee? Even in parks?

Deer hunters use Doe Pee to bring in the bucks but many years ago Michigan Outdoors TV show tested it against human pee & found it worked as well because it was the ammonia bucks were attracted to.

If cost doesn’t matter you can do almost anything as far as RV living goes! There aren’t many if any places inside the the continental United States that meet my desires for comfortable temps and living conditions out doors year round but moving different times of the year helps. There are lots of previous discussions here for you to check out. It is easier and cheaper to live if the outside temps are close to the inside temps you are comfortable in for sure. It is all about your personal preference and means to do so. There are many more compromises required if you don’t have the means to deal with them.
I don't follow you:)

You said "And yet again what do you do when the sun doesn’t shine? How much does 600 amps of lithium batteries cost?"

I had just said I do not want more lithium and gave my reasons why.

Of course I will follow the weather. Don't we all?

I'm only in Illinois now because I have things to take care of (before I can leave).

Urine has to age a bit. Otherwise, it can be harmful. At first it says (for the experiment), one year in storage. But I think they found that storing it for 24 hours is effective. Here is the article at The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...reen-light-to-use-of-urine-as-crop-fertiliser
The article seems to be addressing whether we should use urine as a fertilizer on food crops where pathogens can be passed on to us. I think there is a vast difference between using urine as a fertilizer on food crops and disposing it on weeds and scrub brush. And there would also be a difference between lawns (where I do not recommend deposing undiluted urine) and the vegetation we normally find in the outback. I think my practices still stand as a better alternative to black tanks and chemicals.

The article seems to be addressing whether we should use urine as a fertilizer on food crops where pathogens can be passed on to us. I think there is a vast difference between using urine as a fertilizer on food crops and disposing it on weeds and scrub brush. And there would also be a difference between lawns (where I do not recommend deposing undiluted urine) and the vegetation we normally find in the outback. I think my practices still stand as a better alternative to black tanks and chemicals.
For me, I would make sure I am x number of miles from civilization. As a rule. Or, be on property I own. Unless it is an emergency... which we all have. Because I didn't know antibiotic resistance can be passed from urine to plants to whatever animal eats the plant.

I didn't know antibiotic resistance can be passed from urine to plants to whatever animal eats the plant.
Yep. It's a closed system. When urine is flushed, your chemistry/biology mixes remains in the food chain, too. The coffee you drink might give some minnows a buzz...

I do it daily, but there is something just a little insane about defiling our fresh water with our waste. I agree that toilet chemicals add to the problem, but can't swear that I will never use them.

I would point out that because of the way this water cycle has always circulated our planet, there is indeed a chance that the water in your glass is the same water that thirsty dinosaurs were drinking (and pissing out) about 65 million years ago. The overwhelming amount of that water was directly deposited on the ground. As I understand it, the pathogens we might pass on through growing plants are specific to our physiology. Although, as COVID-19 amply proved, some do jump the species barrier. So, care and forethought are indeed called for. However, 100% safe is seldom an option and everyone must balance the risk and reward which necessarily varies between different situations.

I have a question about electricity in a trailer. I've been using an oil filled radiator for heat (on highest setting). It is 14 degrees outside and the radiator isn't enough. So I turned on a small ceramic heater, as well. Now it is tolerable in here. But is that too much power being used? Can it start a fire? I just turned off the ceramic heater. Scared myself, lol.

It was 43 degrees in here, before I added the ceramic heater. Now it is 52. Plus I was in the house for 12+ hours prior to returning to the trailer. Seems the dog and I are adding some warmth. I need to get some place warm:(

This is the ceramic heater: https://a.co/d/bHxE8yD

This is the extension cord: https://a.co/d/hnrhr18

And the radiator has both buttons on 600 and 900

I think I'll try what someone suggested in this thread: run a separate cord to a different outlet just for the ceramic heater.

If you have grid power you can run the heater that came in the trailer from the factory without running down your house battery. It will cost a little more because you have to buy propane. Using the factory cable to plug in you should be able to run the two heaters but I would recommend getting a cheap plug in watt meter to make sure you don’t overload a circuit. Most trailers use 10 amp circuit breakers or larger to protect wiring in the circuits. Watts divided by volts gives you the number of amps you are using. Many times people just feel the cord to see if it is getting warm which is a sure sign the circuit is overloaded but that is like watching for smoke in my opinion! Lol!!! You will be most likely at the limit of a single circuit running both heaters at the same time. Using a second circuit should work fine. We have a 50 amp electric cord on our motor home and run three 1500 watt ceramic heaters at the same time with no problems. A 30 amp cord should run two easily. A 15 amp should run one on high (1500 watts) or two on the low setting (750 watts) but most heater manufacturers recommend not to use extension cords. I use a heavy duty 15 amp extension cord to run a single 1500 watt ceramic heater with out problems in my cargo trailer.

.I'd use the gas heater that came in the trailer, if I wanted to be warm.
Yes to this.

When it’s down in the teens, Carla, it is too risky in multiple ways to try to rely only on space heaters.

Run your furnace, at least at night, and during the day if it is still bitter cold and there is no sunshine to warm things up a bit.

That’s not only why you have it, but it’s important to know everything does what it is supposed to do.

I sat out a blizzard a couple of years ago, 5 inches of snow, in a parking lot with no electricity. 🙄

It was very cold, I had the furnace only and had thankfully gotten my generator serviced right before I headed south.

I didn’t think I would ever be warm again, but nothing froze up, including me.

If all else fails, be a cautionary tale.

I have a question about electricity in a trailer. I've been using an oil filled radiator for heat (on highest setting). It is 14 degrees outside and the radiator isn't enough. So I turned on a small ceramic heater, as well. Now it is tolerable in here. But is that too much power being used? Can it start a fire?

This is the ceramic heater: https://a.co/d/bHxE8yD

This is the extension cord: https://a.co/d/hnrhr18

And the radiator has both buttons on 600 and 900

I think I'll try what someone suggested in this thread: run a separate cord to a different outlet just for the ceramic heater.
Your trailer should have it's own breaker box that will blow if you draw too much power or are you running the cord into the trailer and not going through the trailer power system?

You may also trip the breaker for the outlets you are plugging into even if you use multiple outlets. BUT... you reduce the risk of overloading the power through the extension cord. Better if you can draw from outlets that are on two different lines from the power source.

Good things... your extension cord is short! This helps a lot! Your extension cord said 12 gauge in the link, so a quick google shows it can handle about 16 amps/1900 watts of power...

Ive used various electric heaters in my winnebago and cabin. A ceramic heater had some sort of smart circuits, if the power went out, it reset, meaning didnt turn back on. I had the plumbing freeze in my bath house and had to re-plumb some of it due to this feature. I threw that heater in the trash.

The oil types Ive seen never really seemed like they put out the amount of raw heat the old style milkhouse or electric ribbon style radiant heaters do. I have a patton milkhouse heater in my bath house now, the most basic simple type they make, a 750/1500 watt rocker switch, and a rheostat temp control. It isnt affected by power blips or outages, it comes right back on if the power goes out, which is pretty common here.

The other type Ive used in the winnebago for backup when I had trouble with the propane furnace and the cabin. After I hurt my back its been my primary heat in the cabin. Either type sometimes starts to act funny after 3 or 4 years of hard full time use, the rheostat control or temp sensor should probably be replaced, I usually just go buy another one. I write on them with a sharpie what the date/year is I get them and start using them. If you wait til the end of the season they go on sale. My power bill hasnt been outrageous by any means.

In a camper id use the furnace if possible. The heaters I mentioned put out significant heat and are whats worked best for me over the past 20-some years. I use them on 750 watts most of the time fwiw.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Patton-Electric-Utility-Milkhouse-Heater/17808701
http://baseboardheatercovers.blogspot.com/2014/03/review-of-patton-electric-1500w-radiant.html