Cargo van roof rack

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luisafernandes

Reaction score
I'm buying a roof rack to install solar panels, which will be installed on top of plywood.
Here's the stupid question: should I buy two or three pieces? And should I buy steel or aluminum?
Thanks!

If you have rain gutters, I'd get the kind that attach to them.

Aluminum won't rust.

I would cover the entire roof, as it will keep the van much cooler.

How much power do you want? Solar grids are getting more compact.

solar panels work better if cooler. Most installs leave space under the panel for air cooling.

Assuming you are using traditional solar panels with an aluminum frame, no plywood is needed and they will work better without it. Bolt them straight to the rack or use U-bolts if it's a round piece going across.

By 2 or 3 pieces do you mean the number of crossbars on the rack? I'd use two per panel. I'd probably want steel for the part that attaches to the rain gutter, aluminum would be fine for the bars.

Reducto, 2 or 3 pieces indeed refer to the number of crossbars.
The reason for the plywood is stealth. I will drill holes on the plywood for ventilation and mount the panels with a reasonable gap. That's the idea. Things can still change.

Perhaps you could box them in and hide their appearance? Unless you were looking down on the van from the second floor or something.

I'm not so concerned with people on the second floor, as much as people driving or walking next to me. I want to make them invisible from the ground level, that includes not being able to see them from underneath.

Reducto is right, no plywood is better. Don't compromise the output of your solar panels. Stealth is way over rated. And stealth doesn't work.

Zil said:
Stealth is way over rated. And stealth doesn't work.

True...

but "outta sight, and outta mind" is also an excellent way to minimise theft!

For the outlay on these things, I'd be disguising mine too.

I have roof racks on both my trailer and van. The trailer has plywood and the van does not. I'd probably use plywood if I were you, A couple points though:

1) Sun and rain will kill the plywood. Use a lot of high quality paint on it!
2) Use feet under the panel, do not attach directly to the plywood and expect air holes to be enough. You want a minimum of 1/2 air gap all the way around
3) You can put a rim of 2 x 2s along the sides so no one can see the panels from the ground. Paint it as well!!

That'll work well for you! Your roof will always be in the shade!
Bob
Bob

Which roof racks are people buying/using? I saw these aluminum TuffRacks 2 bar gutter mount system rated at 500lbs for $239 that looked good then I saw some sub $100 2 bar systems on amazon.

If you are mounting plywood or some 1x4's or 2x4's just along the sides wouldn't 2 bars be enough? Does the plywood catch the wind and want to blow off or pull up on the racks?

vagari said:
Which roof racks are people buying/using? I saw these aluminum TuffRacks 2 bar gutter mount system rated at 500lbs for $239 that looked good then I saw some sub $100 2 bar systems on amazon.

If you are mounting plywood or some 1x4's or 2x4's just along the sides wouldn't 2 bars be enough? Does the plywood catch the wind and want to blow off or pull up on the racks?

Yes, the plywood will probably catch in the wind, I've been thinking of that. Maybe just some 2x4.

Luis - what roof rack did you buy or are you looking to buy?

The one that's flat, used to carry ladders and stuff. I'll get a pic and post that in a bit.

a3y9y8uv.jpg

Like that.

How much did it cost you? What is brand name?

I saw some aluminum TuffRacks for $239 with 500lb weight limit but saw some cheaper ones on Amazon and at HomeDepot.

Latest posts