Cargo Trailer Update & Return To Community

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadtripsAndCampfires

Reaction score
Hi all!  Thought I'd give an update on where we are at on the cargo trailer we purchased mid-April.  Wall boards are off and I'm priming both sides of the boards with a primer that protects against mold, mildew and rust.  I'm inspecting the frame and build.  Found a small amount of rust to sand and spray before the boards go back up.  Have documented where the wires are running and now am trying to figure out what I need for electrical (boxes, etc) so I can insulate around that stuff before the boards go back up.

We've had rain so it delays the priming and also means I can't bring the wood out into the moist air even if covered as it's not yet all primed and that means I can't do a lot inside with the boards in the way.

The thing I am most grateful for is that we have taken our time figuring out what we want before we build.  Rearranging has been frequent with the plans - so glad we did not yet cut and build.  

We have the ramp door and I'm creating a cloth back door that will be like a tent wall with windows and screen as well as a door on one side to go in and out the back without getting insects or letting a lot of cold in.  I have some cammo material (rainforest pattern) that we bought in the 90's that I've been saving.

I am doing the video as we progress but not taking the time to put them up right now.  I am trying to write the steps down as I go along so I can check them against the videos.  I took my website down to separate my travel blog with a future site that's not as personal.  Everything such as this is on hold until we finish the trailer as it's a big job and priority for summer fun.  The fantastic vent will be going in soon and I painted it to match the interior colors.  

Will be heading to salvage yard soon to check for windows and such.  Will order insulation soon as we have a better idea now of what we need.

We set our take off day for about a year from now.

I GOT WINDOWS!!!

This is one of the most difficult for me - I wasn't sure what I was doing and how to order them. And I needed them before I put the insultion in to frame and insulate them properly.

Wayne and I went to a not too far from Denver RV salvage yard and spent hours picking out windows. I had already used scrapbook paper taped to the walls to figure out where and what size windows I wanted (I'm the designer but Wayne gets to add input - he usually agrees but sometimes points out flaws in my thinking or a better idea).

The very front right side (facing towards the tow vehicle on the passenger side and behind the kitchen sink) will have a small 8" x 14" "awning window." It has a small handle inside that turns to open the window upward like an awning. A 8" x 18" awning window will be in the door. Then we have "slider" windows behind and across from the beds/cots. The one on the passenger side is the largest and if we had to we could crawl through one side to get out - thus we have an escape hatch. This was really important to me. We are doing something special to these windows trying to secure them from allowing entry when we are gone away from the trailer and have it locked up. We'll see if it works.

Anyway, we got all 4 windows for $100 !!! The dirt was free. It'll take a bit of work to make the screens and frames for it all but we got exactly what we needed/wanted. Then today I helped return a dog to a neighbor and discovered he does window tinting! So we'll talk when he returns from vacation.

Latest posts