Cargo Trailer to RV Mods For Insurance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadtripsAndCampfires

Reaction score
I mentioned in a previous post I saw Bob's video interviewing RockingB and as a result we are redesigning the trailer even though we are in late stages of completing it (insert profanity).

The 4 things required for it to be registered as an RV:

1.  Built In Refrigerator (we already had that, a 3-way).

2.  Built in Stove 
We were going to use the Camp Chef stove/grill/oven and have propane quick fit pipe behind stainless counter/sink BUT this will not qualify.  Therefore we will sell that at garage sale and buy a 2 or 3-burner stovetop. Still figuring out how to "permanently install" it - guess we'll have to make it somehow built in and then take it to the propane guy.

3.  Plummed Shower - (double dose of propanity)

We spent a long time making the frame for our little bathtub we got from PPL Motorhomes.  Wayne built a wood frame around it and we primed and painted that and insulated the entire thing and added painted FRP board to match our metal colors nearby (copper/silver and bronze).  Not enough room for tub + new toilet (see below) so we had to order a shower pan that's only 24" x 24".  For plumbing see below.

4.  Plummed Toilet (love the change but not what it's doing to our space).
OK, I had painted the porta-potty (which is about 20 years old) the colors noted above (which also match the Fantastic Vent Fan nearby).  I loved the bathroom and we were going to add the wall the day after we saw the video mentioned.  We would have drilled the tub hole, put in the window, mirror and wire rack we had all ready to install the very next day - that was the plan.  Then we saw the video.

There is not enough room under the cargo trailer to put a black water tank without worry of breaking it on some rock in some desert.  Our 26 gallon water tank is inside for the same reason.  The other reason is we don't want to worry about tanks freezing, etc. should we decide to use the trailer in cold weather for some reason down the road.

Much searching and I found the "PolyJohn" which has a 15-gallon built in holding tank AND A SEWER CONNECTION HOOKUP.  Solves the problem when we added an 18 gallon SmartTote2 XL with 4 wheels.  We will be able to dump directly into that and then hook that up to the hitch and drive it to the dump.

The PolyJohn is big and it's messing up my design.  I'm not crying because this setup will be awesome.  OUR BIG PROBLEM IS it's backordered.  Was suppose to ship yesterday and now not until the 20th!  If it doesn't come by the end of the month we have to stay here another month and pay rent so we can get all 4 items done before "living in it."

Stay tuned for updates.   Now I wish we had gotten the 8 foot wide and longer.  Not really.  We really want small so the 7 by 16 will have to find a way to accommodate all of this without messing up my design too bad.

Sigh. 

Oh, the RV status will allow us to get the insurance for the items INSIDE the trailer in case of theft or accidents.  See Bob's video to make sense of all of this.

I tried to find the link to the video mentioned but Bob has so many ...

Christine

Before you spend time and money making your trailer an RV that is not what you originally planned and it seems is becoming something you really don't know if you will be happy with what is the reason for you doing this? Have you really put so much money into your conversion that you feel you must insure the contents? Would you not be able to survive if it was a total loss, such as a fire? If not will you be able to afford fulltimer's insurance? You may find it cheaper to have two home bases with two different trailers so that you don't live full time in either! Before doing any changes make sure you fully understand the situation which can vary depending in which state your trailer is going to be registered in and that state's procedure for making something an RV. You may find it much cheaper to store valuables and live simply in a cargo trailer than to convert a cargo trailer into an RV just so you can pay higher insurance rates of a full timer in order to insure a camera or a few valuables you carry in the trailer. The thing about insurance is risk and the odds the insurance will pay you more than the insurance costs you if you have a loss. Getting an insurance company to do this requires a lot of documentation and work. Check some of the school bus conversions sites and look at what they go through just to get insured. Fortunately trailers are much easier to insure and in some states the tow vehicle insurance covers what it is towing I believe but as RV camping trailers are so costly insurance is well worth it, cargo trailers being much cheaper to buy and build maybe not.

Your state requires a "Plumbed shower and a Plumbed toilet" ?

I can understand you wanting that but not a state requiring them. What state are you registering the trailer in? Or, if I'm not understanding something then just ignore my comment.

Anyway, good luck on your conversion and do post up some photo's, we like photo's. :thumbsup:

All my equipment trucks/trailers are basically disposable (except my Dodge Ram lol) the workhorse. I have never insured any of my trailers, I have never needed to, from the 1962 airstream to the 1988 Holiday Rambler. Just very cautious driving and being able to stop in time. I do not like towing anymore so I stopped this truck camper is just the ticket.

wagoneer said:
 I have never insured any of my trailers,
Offhand I am wondering if, say you don't have the trailer insured, but you end up wrecking your tow vehicle due to some sort misadventure with the trailer. Would that be some sort of loophole for the insurance company not to have to honor the liability or whatnot part of the policy on the tow vehicle?

bullfrog said:
Before you spend time and money making your trailer an RV that is not what you originally planned and it seems is becoming something you really don't know if you will be happy with what is the reason for you doing this?   ...

Bullfrog:  I am 67.  When I was 17 I started planning to go fulltme, not because of any housing costs, etc. as I was too young to care about such things or know what was in the future.  The reason was I LOVE TO CAMP.  Now, back then, internet did not exist and there were not the options available to young people today to RV live and work mobile and not as many work on the road jobs for good $$.  

So instead I worked as long as I could.  Same case for hubby.  So together we have worked until retirement for him and until disability for me (I did not go on disability until after I retired from a job that I worked 20 years at, moved after that and tried to work but was unable to do so.)  The 20 year job was 15 years of physical therapy or shots in the spine or .... it was hell for me physically and I did not have a physical job. After that I tried and just could not.  Hubby retired earlier this year.

So yes we can afford the insurance.  As or insuring, yes we should.  We wanted an RV and designed an RV.  As I said, the new shower pan will replace the tub.  The new toilet setup will replace the porta-potty.  The fridge cost over $1k (3 way).  Cameras, DVDs, etc. aren't a concern in themselves, it is the total sum of the whole thing if lost.  Our trailer, before one single thing was done to it cost $8K (dual axles, electric brakes and Interstate Loadrunner quality).  It only makes sense to insure the contents, at least to us.

Chiristine

We designed our own RV after looking for 4 years at trailers and their low cargo carry capacity (CCC) in small ones.  We wanted small due to the way we like to camp.  Also if I want to continue walking and being able to use the cargo ramp to get in and out (when space allows us to extend it) is way, way better for me than the step into from the front door due to other disabilities I have.

Matlock said:
Your state requires a "Plumbed shower and a Plumbed toilet" ?

I can understand you wanting that but not a state requiring them. What state are you registering the trailer in? Or, if I'm not understanding something then just ignore my comment.

Anyway, good luck on your conversion and do post up some photo's, we like photo's.  :thumbsup:

Matlock:  The requirements are in order to get coverage for personal belongings inside the trailer.

Christine

Wagoneer: I like the "I'm safe in my environment" attitude. I pretty much go with that but in this case at ages 67 and 68 I'd rather have the check if needed.

Christine

I'm definitely no insurance pro and hope you find the insurance you need but I would caution you to look for insurance that can be bought to cover dollar amounts and document those amounts as you build realizing many companies will want to devalue your trailer and contents as they age.

Every State has different definitions and rules about RV's, So it all depends where you are. I was looking into building a teardrop trailer and followed forums about it. Some of the people had difficulty in their own State registering their DIY RV. They found a State back East, (Maryland I think), where you did not need to be a resident of the State to register a trailer there. You also could do the whole thing my mail. Once they had the title for their rig, it was easy to transfer it into their home State. This work around may only apply to trailers.

A tear drop trailer has no plumbed toilet or shower, so I have no idea how your State deals with them. Maybe utility or cargo? They are never really used for either purpose.

I have a pile of receipts which won't get logged until a few months after we are able to take off but yes, a spreadsheet listing will be needed. I'll start with a general idea. Everything of course gets devalued. You buy it new and then it's used.

Latest posts