Cargo camper tires

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am of the opinion that they make (trailer) tires for a reason. Research showed that the tire carcass is designed differently from vehicle tires to help it track better behind the tow vehicle. Pricing is comparable so why not? If an accident occurs, what if the insurance company vultures take notice?
Sure, vehicle tires will work but, to each their own.
Just some thoughts.

A screw driver's handle or channel locks can work as a hammer, but neither is a hammer and have negative potential used as such. Passenger (P) tires will not work as a trailer tire, they'll only occupy the space of the correct tire until they fail. This will probably be a short lived experience, as well as expensive, potentially dangerous, and certainly inconvenient.

Dean and Buster said:
I am  getting 20 thousand miles from trailer tires

That's about three years worth of life. What brand(s) have you been using?

If your trailer has two axles or more there is a lot of dragging tires sideways when you make a curve or a turn. The more you turn the faster the wear.

If you're talking "normal" loads can go either way, plenty use LT just fine get longer wear and a smoother ride.

For something like 7000# per axle, def better go with ST type, E to H rated.

And yes, very high PSI, don't deflate much even when not fully loaded, don't want to stress those stiffer side walls.

Do not use passenger/regular car tires. Light truck (LT) tires are commonly used and trailer tires (ST) are commonly used. Passenger (P) tires will not work as a trailer tire, they'll only occupy the space of the correct tire until they fail. This will probably be a short lived experience, as well as expensive, potentially dangerous, and certainly inconvenient.

do not use passenger car tires on a trailer. in fact if you plan on doing a lot of off pavement driving, don't use them on a passenger car. I have used both LT(light truck) and ST(standard trailer) tires on trailers. if you are diving off pavement use LT tires. if you are 99% pavement use ST tires.

I have heard a tire salesman tell my buddy that these ST tires were the toughest available and that all the farmers used them for their implement tires. yeah right 2 of the 4 were junk in less than a year.

use LT tires for off highway. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
use LT tires for off highway
Is that even possible for say 3500# loading (7K axles)?

Likely need 8-bolt pattern rims.

that's the problem with trailers. especially for off road, get 6k axles and 16 inch rims. I can't even count how many 3500lb axles I have bent or seen bent. especially with the newer axles that are meant to flex and straighten out when loaded, those 3500lb axles are almost guaranteed to bend when taken off road. highdesertranger

EDIT the 6 lug 16 inch rims can handle the weight no need for 8 lug. but if you want 8 lug they are fine.

And get rims that equal or exceed the tire weight rating (rims are rated for maximum load also; it is stamped somewhere on the rim).  The maximum weight any trailer tire can carry is the lesser of 1/2 axle rating, rim rating, tire rating.

I certainly don't want to be driving around a trailer with 7K weight on it and only one axle.

Yes total weight rating will be 14K, and I don't want triple axle

It may never actually be loaded that heavy, certainly rarely and for specific transport trips, not full-timing

I plan to go very slowly when off road.

I have heard good comments on Sailun series S-637 tires' longevity, apparently run at 100-110psi