caravan to Oregon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highdesertranger

R.I.P HDR
Reaction score
So I have been thinking of inviting a few nomads to caravan with from Arizona to Oregon on my annual migration.  This will only be for the trip up and it usually takes a couple of weeks.  Mostly following US 95 and US 395. Ghost towns,  prospecting,  rockhounding,  Hot springs.  Last year we saw tons of animals and amazing scenery.  New Comers welcome.  Anybody interested?  Oh yeah I will keep the off pavement stuff to a minimum. Highdesertranger

Gawd I sure am, but I'll have to take a raincheck till next season. You got me at ghost towns and rockhounding...

Cheers!

Sounds like fun, other than shoveling that overburden. As usual I am staying here to watch the sun set, lots of books to read, flower pots to tend, yadda.
-crofter

Sounds great but I have some stuff to see before I get to Oregon. Can you say where you will be or the general area in Oregon? I will get there at some point over the summer, maybe meet you and those in the caravan.

Oddly, I'm reluctant to caravan. I know I should want to. I just love super ahort travel days, stopping on whims, and going as slow as a person new to towing should. I think a caravan would add distractions to the serious business of concentrating on not screwing up.

I'm headed to Idaho from southern Nevada after I get the second part of my vaccine. I believe my route will be on old, lonesome, familiar roads. My camps along the way will be the same. I'll get braver when I get a few thosand miles under my belt. : )

Well I left out some important info, DUH.

I plan on leaving around the first 2 weeks May.
I will be departing from the Bullhead City area.
This is only for the trip up I am going to start another thread for prospecting in Oregon.
You can jump in and out anytime.
I planning on taking at least 2 weeks to get up there maybe more.
very loose caravan, no schedule
End destination is Bend, Oregon

Highdesertranger

Actually the prospecting camp is in mountains in far east Oregon. Closer to Boise ID. Highdesertranger

Sounds marvelous, wish we dared to go, but the thing drinks oil and tranny fluid like a fish until we find a diesel guy. Rain check for next year?  I'd love to try prospecting. My previous boss would go up to hills and get small gold bits now and then.  And we would definitly feel safer in a troop.  I can cook, clean, sew and beat laundry on a rock, and hubby has thee most boring stories people seem to like hearing.

Jordan Valley area?

The Amargosa Valley RV park has some contract drillers staying there, while they work in the Bullfrog area around Beatty, NV. One mentioned spending a winter working Jordan Valley, and said the nearest town was Boise.

Bend is farther to the west. In between Bend and Boise, not much.

I can see the need for two fridges and a freezer.

This is not going to be an organized tour group. It's going to be very casual no schedules.

I just tell you close to where I will camp and we can meet up and I can show you some cool stuff.

We will not meet and form convoys to the next destination. Unless you are a newbie or want to convoy want, that's ok too.

Of course if you want to camp close by me that's fine too. The recommend covid precautions will be followed. I have had my shots, LOL I don't believe I am actually saying that.

Yes he has his rabies certificate, But he doesn't bite. LOL

Highdesertranger

Sounds very intriguing, I must say, and I would love to join up if only this were not halfway across the country for me.

Ghost towns, rockhounding, and prospecting sound especially interesting, along with meeting some of the folks here.

Another time perhaps.

The timing is right for me. I think we will likely be able to camp one ot two places together near 95 in Nye County. Unless youre not going through Nye County.

Aloha oe Doug! Maybe see you next month : ) I'll be fully vaccinated and a little more social (but still an awkward old woman).

I'm back to my maps to peer at Esmiralda County to see if I saw and did stuff or just passed through...

Oh yes. Goldfield is in that county. And a sweet little hot spring. I have seen and done stuff. Back to the maps again.

Ravella and X said:
I'll be fully vaccinated and a little more social (but still an awkward old woman).

Lala lala la la lala nose as long as a telephone wire..

Cammalu said:
Lala lala la la lala  nose as long as a telephone wire..
Every word is truth =p

I sure hope the local mechanic shop can make my tow vehicle safe for the mountains in my future -- without costing more than the thing is worth.

I'm now looking forward to a teeny bit of caravaning. Leaving Pahrump on the 2nd or 3rd. 
=D

Dang life butted in. I will not be able to leave until the end of June or the beginning of July. I just found out, I am very sorry if this causes any problems for anybody.

Highdesertranger