car curtains

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qball

Reaction score
Anyone know of anyplace that does FULL coverage custom car curtains? All the ones I'm seeing online appear not to cover the entire window...looking for maximum privacy. Or if you have any experience or recommendations please share. I'm in Portland, Oregon and have a Honda Fit....I'm going to post this thread again in another heading for maximum exposure, just an FYI.

Thank You

I made my own, but here is what you should have:
1. Make them much wider than the windows on all sides
2. Mine are triple lined. This is also insulation, absorbing condensation, etc.
3. Have Velcro on the sides so no light leaks out especially on doors with windows that move and catch the wind. When two curtain sides join in the middle, have a strip of Velcro from the top to the bottom so it is comprehensive.
4. You can use close pins and hold on sunshields/reflectix also.
5. Make them in a classic, dark color and large. I have transferred mine from vehicle to vehicle for YEARS only doing all that work one time. I started with fabric I ordered by the yard from the factory that matched my cushions.
6. Make tie backs to match with Velcro for easy opening. Place the tie backs 4" or so from the end of the curtain, so when you tie it back the curtain is fully open for maximum light coming in.
7. For curtains near a fan or a/c unit, make sure they are long enough that when the fan is going, no one can see in.
8. Curtains on an angled wall should have a curtain rod on the top and bottom so the curtain is secure to the window, not a fire hazard, etc.
9. If you vehicle is not used during winter, do not store curtains in open position. Not only will they be very wrinkled, but a mouse may nest in them for warmth. Take out the sunshields, and open the roof vents some for winter cold, and let the curtains hang free by gravity so they are not a warm mouse bed.
10. The most important step: Turn on a 100 watt light bulb at night, walk outside of vehicle and check to make sure there are no gaps of light. This way no one can see you go to the bathroom, change clothes, or that you are alone.

Buy poster board at dollar store, cut to git then paint black. It looks good

Sebringlovr said:
Buy poster board at dollar store, cut to git then paint black. It looks good

Or buy black poster board instead of white and get it for less than a $1 somewhere else. I got mine for 59 cents at a grocery store, from taking my time (a week or two) window shopping all the retails stores first.

Someone is looking for a professional installation of *curtains*

Getting DIY advice about coroplast and spending time shopping around to save under a dollar.

OP if you are interested in saving money via a DIY approach, or fitted panels rather than curtains, let us know.

Are you looking just for privacy? Or also complete blackout? Thermal insulation? I assume looks are important to you? And cost not a big issue?

There are many resources we can point you to, some of which give details about making the end result look pretty good, if not frilly home-style decor.

I think the best option is to actually cut out reflectix to fit the windows. If you don't have limo tint you can wrap the side that is pressed up against the window with black fabric. Black is the most stealth, and most likely for someone to just glance and look away.

Science said:
I think the best option is to actually cut out reflectix to fit the windows. If you don't have limo tint you can wrap the side that is pressed up against the window with black fabric. Black is the most stealth, and most likely for someone to just glance and look away.

I have done this exact thing with my 2013 Honda Fit. It works very well, but I definitely recommend taking the extra time and adding velcro to the equation. Initially, I cut the reflectix to size (sits very snug within window frame) and stapled blackout fabric to outside facing side. I thought that the snug fit would work fine. It did for about a month and then the reflectix material started to warp slightly and curl back at the edges. This compromised the snug fit. So definitely add velcro to avoid this problem.

I used indoor/outdoor carpet I picked up at Home Depot and secured it to the frames around the windows with adhesive-backed Velcro.  
Because the carpet is fibrous, you only need to use the "Hook" side of the Velcro on the window frame.  The carpet acts like the "Loop" side.  

Cut the carpet to fit the shape/dimensions, just slightly larger than the glass.  Easy Peasy.  Reflectix would work too.  I have Reflectix on the side and rear windows.  
I like the carpet because I can roll down the windows and let fresh air in without letting in any flying insects.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_5aa.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_5aa.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Just cut reflectix to fit. Add black fabric for extra stealth.

Oops, I didn't notice the original date of this thread (2014).  Me thinks the OP has found a solution by now.   :p