Car camping the 2019 RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"huge crowds?"

i would not describe the RTR in that fashion. sure there are going to be thousands of rigs there, but the desert is huge and people spread out. some areas might be grouped up more than others. but it will be easy to camp on the fringe if you need more space. or make friends with someone and circle the wagons tight. the only spot that will tend to get "crowded" is the main gathering area for meetings and classes/seminars. even then, not everyone comes to the same seminar.

As I understand it, this is what downtown-RTR looked like last year.

QinReno said:
I think you can get by with a very minimal system. Maybe a 50W panel, which will not take up much space, a charger and 35 AH battery, plus a small AC inverter. Then, you can plug in a regular 120 VAC lamp and run your laptop, and don't need any extra wiring. 4 wires total, and under $200 total.

Q you just helped me. 
My energy needs, I think, are low. I plan on using an LED lamp rather than worry about the lights in my pop-up. 
Cel phones, tablet and laptop. Been trying to figure out what to do regarding power.
Gracias!

rosiemartinez1211 said:
Q you just helped me. 
My energy needs, I think, are low. I plan on using an LED lamp rather than worry about the lights in my pop-up. 
Cel phones, tablet and laptop. Been trying to figure out what to do regarding power.
Gracias!
Hi Rosie. De Nada. A standard 120 VAC Led light bulb 60W-equivalent draws only 11W. A typical laptop draws about 40W. 

Even a small 12V, 35AH AGM battery stores 12*35 = 420W of power, so you should easily be able to run both lamp and laptop for approx 5-hours in an evening (when no solar charging) before the battery drops to 50% energy, which is as low as you normally want to take it, for good life. And just the Led bulb alone will run for over 20 hr before the battery needs recharging.

So that's pretty much a minimalist system to get the basics. Forget having a frig, LOL. Next step up would be 100W of solar and 100AH battery, so you can basically triple the run-time length.

For good measure, I would get a 300W inverter listed as "pure sinewave", rather than "modified sinewave", then you needn't worry about whether the laptop charger will have any kind of issue.

QinReno said:
For good measure, I would get a 300W inverter listed as "pure sinewave", rather than "modified sinewave", then you needn't worry about whether the laptop charger will have any kind of issue
Looking at this on Amazon: Great reviews. Only complaint is wires aren't long enough from panel to controller. 

Renogy 50 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit    Price:$132.03
  • One Renogy 50Watt monocrystalline solar panel (UL 1703 Certified -- Grade A high efficiency solar panel).
  • One 10Amp PWM charge controller; uniquely designed Z brackets for mounting.
  • One pair of 20Ft MC4 connector adaptor kit with MC4 male and female connectors.
  • Added tray cable for connection between charge controller and battery.
As I understand it, all I need to add is a battery, correct?
Also, any idea what kind of wire I need to get?

Thanks for your help!

highdesertranger said:
the cables are 20 feet long.  how long do you want them?

Yes this is the one I'm looking at. 

In reading reviews, there were comments regarding a 9 inch wire that wasn't long for something. 
Not sure if they were referring to it being connected to the converter and not being long enough to reach the battery? 
I don't know what they were talking about.

Thanks

There are two kits for offer on that page. Unfortunately the reviews for both are mixed in with each other and it takes a sharp eye to distinguish which kit each review is for. Sometimes features change with a product as well and older reviews may not necessarily apply to the product currently on offer. It looks like there may have been 10 foot lengths previously included with one of the kits.

Very annoying feature of Amazon.

Ken in Anaheim said:

They were on sale a few weeks ago and I should have bought one for now I'm going to buy a cheap pop up tent for the RTR to use as my garage. I still plan on full time in April or May. I'll  have my Kodiak 4 man tent by that time by then. I wouldn't mind camping near other car dwellers and Prius owners!

highdesertranger said:
the cables are 20 feet long.  how long do you want them?

HDR, here's the comment:

"The 9-inch cables included are used to connect the solar panel to the charge controller, they have an MC4 connector on one end and bare wire on the opposite end."

It is my understanding that the controller needs to be inside the camper since they are not weather resistant so I need a longer cable to bring it in.

Yes I did notice the reviews are dated. I'm reading thru all the questions posted on there right now to see if I catch any recent comments.

rosiemartinez1211 said:
Yes this is the one I'm looking at. 

In reading reviews, there were comments regarding a 9 inch wire that wasn't long for something. 
Not sure if they were referring to it being connected to the converter and not being long enough to reach the battery? 
I don't know what they were talking about.

Thanks

there are 2 sets of wires needed or come with the kit. you need wires to connect the controller to the panels. that is probably the 20ft cables mentioned. then you need wires to connect the controller to the battery. this is likely the 9 inch wires mentioned. you do want to keep these wires as sort as you can but if you need to extend them basic 10 or 12 gauge stranded wire from an autoparts store will be just fine. connect with good crimps and heat shrink for a good joint. but still try and keep these wires short as you can

RowanFae said:
I'm thinking I'd rather spend the cost of traveling across country - TWICE - on solar panels and batteries instead.

Hi Rowan!

For a little insight on installing a solar power system on a smaller vehicle, have a look at the build thread for my Kia Soul. It's similar in size and layout to your Escape, though I believe the Escape is slightly larger. Still, it should be a decent match and give you some ideas.

The link is for the middle of the thread, roughly where I began the installation of my solar. There's also a cost breakdown of what I spent on my solar. When looking at this, bear in mind that there are a lot of areas where I could have made different choices and cut my budget by at least half.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=9848&page=7

I am looking at attending this year. I need to work during the day, so I will probably be set up near a cell tower during the day. Can move around after work. I will probably try and get at least one week off during this time though.

I have a Toyota Highlander Hybrid and it seems to have solved most of my electrical issues. I use 12V DC car chargers for the laptops, have a 100W inverter for things not DC, a 12V DC fridge (tiny!) and am looking at using the Harbor Freight 40" by 48" trailer for storage, cooking station, and a platform for solar. Sort of a closet/APU/kitchen on wheels.

Take a look at tnttt.com for things to fix on a Harbor Frieght trailer before you go to far. I know they had some issues with bearing lube at one time.

is Harbor Freight selling those junk trailers again? I know they stopped for awhile because of quality issues. frankly I wouldn't trust one of those on a sidewalk. highdesertranger

Don't know if the ones they sell now are the ones you are referring to or not. They are definitely inexpensive ($200-$400 range). I bought a motorcycle/mini trailer for $250 or so and am still assembling it. My main concern is that it says you are not supposed to go over 55 mph while towing them, so I am probably going to go to the local metal working shop that did my hitch and see if there is anything I can do to stabilize it for higher speeds, at least 65 mph. But it is just the right size at a 3' x 4' bin and about 7' in length. The tires are definitely ... small.

It's not the stability of the trailer that is restricting the recommended speed, it's the size of the tires. And there's no good way of putting larger tires on it.

Basically, like anything else, you get what you pay for - buy cheap and get a really disposable product that is going to perform poorly or pay a little more and get a decent product.