Can you interchange the Maxx Fan and the Fantastic Fan in the same roof hole?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vannautical engineer

Reaction score
Pretty much as the title asks. I found a lot of threads on the Fantastic Fan vs the Maxx fan, but I'm having trouble finding an answer for this. If I decide to go with one, and I cut the hole and mount it in the roof, if I later decide to go with the other one, can I remove it and install the other one in its place in the same hole without a lot of hassle?

Or is it a case of once you decide on one, cut the hole, and mount the flange in place with sealant, are you pretty much married to that model of fan?

They all require a standard 14" by 14" square hole. You may have to remove and replace sealant and/or drill a slightly different pattern of screw holes, but yeah, they are interchangeable.

Good to know, thanks. I knew the holes were the same size, I just wasn't sure about the specifics around the flanges and things like that.

I'm going with the Fantastic Fan for now. Even though I know pretty much everyone likes the Maxx Fan better. I don't like the fact that you can never really "open" up the Maxx Fan like you can the Fantastic. It also seems like the Maxx Fan is very hard to find in this country with a clear cover on it. I know the smoked cover will cut down on the heat and sunlight, but in more moderate climates I feel like I might want more natural light coming in.

But, I know from an actual functionality standpoint the Maxx is probably the better fan, so I wanted to be sure I could change over to that someday if it feels like the Fantastic just has too many drawbacks.

I installed a 7500 Maxfan Deluxe (Smoke) in my rig......NEVER any rain in the rig.....Love it....... the "fan' includes a separate flange to install and then the Motor and Hood are attached to the flange with two screws

I recently installed a Maxfan #4000 in another rig.....the lower cost unit is a single piece....Its flat white lid opens completely like a FantasticFan (allowing rain entry)...the side flanges (w/screw holes) are nearly two inches wide ?

Another flange would never cover the screw/holes .....AND all the Dicor to scrape off for the re-installation!

I had the opposite on the Tioga MH, the old one had the wide flange, and the new one, a Maxx Air regular version, had a narrow flange. Not a big deal for my installation, just covered the blank space with a couple of coats of Henry's.

Worse was the replacement in the Tahoe Lite TT, old one had deeper inner shell, new one did not. Had to get a taller inside flange to cover the gap.

The only thing universal is the 14" x 14" hole, at least in the USA.