Can You Help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owl

Reaction score
I see folks here who need help with things in their vehicle.I know there are folks who have skills and would be happy to help in some capacity here also. I wonder if the mods could come up with a way to pair these folks. It seems I always cause problems here, that is not my intention.

At this time moderators will not be pairing up members in need of help with members who can help but members are free to post requests for help on the forum. State your general location, what type of help is needed, and if any compensation will be granted. Conversations and agreements should probably be conducted through PMs to protect privacy. Also be cautious about inviting a stranger into your life.

I have skills, but no extra time on my hands while working full time, with my family, on a farm. Not many folks that need help are in the NW Ohio region that I could help, and seeing that all of my tools/supplies are here, not many are willing to travel to my location.

owl said:
It seems I always cause problems here, that is not my intention.

Ser Owl, that's not my perception, and, as I've mentioned I use a collaborative killfile app that tracks (both algorithmically & by vetted human assessments) all posts here.
You are definitely not on any trustworthy "naughty" lists. :)

So, back to needing help...
There's a (small-ish?) hole in my tailpipe (1987 Dodge B250 van).
If there's anyone who's equipped to help & can gift me their labor, that would be awesome. :)
I'll be heading southwards in about a month (leaving whenever it gets too cold up here in northern WI/MI), probably generally close to the Mississippi River and can detour modest distances.
PM me to discuss. :)

Just to clarify it would help everyone to know whether the hole is in between the motor and muffler (header pipe) or behind the muffler (tailpipe). Two different sets of difficulties involved and most people call the entire length the tailpipe.

Huh. Just last night I made inquiries as to how I could pay HOWA for the expertise I see here. I won't be ready for a year or so - I am on lock down as care giver for my father in law who is 99 and lives alone with my support. When he passes I am feeling drawn to explore this nomad life. And until then all I can do is plan. And until then I won't leave town.

I only started thinking about this early September and I did not know about HOWA. I already asked some friends if I could pay them to help me put together a rig. I would far rather turn to this community - I recognize the skills and experience here - it is a goldmine. And I did not think so many people would do this as a cheap way to live. My motivation is self discovery.

Anyway, I do think this is an obvious idea. But yes - it requires protections all around.

I would suggest a system could be setup where people offer skills and then they get reviews by users. That is how the world does this stuff now, as far as I can tell. And HOWA could, again, be a middle man as yet another layer of protection so if a user can say they got shorted badly HOWA could maybe help resolve the issue. All for a fee, of course.

I would love to have access to the skills in this community. And I would pay for them. And I would be happy for HOWA to be in on that action.

B and C said:
Just to clarify it would help everyone to know whether the hole is in between the motor and muffler (header pipe) or behind the muffler (tailpipe). Two different sets of difficulties involved and most people call the entire length the tailpipe.

Good question! :)
I can definitely smell exhaust fumes inside, though it varies a lot. If I'm at all nervous, I lower the driver's side window.

It looks like it's behind (rearward of) the muffler, but it's hard (for me) to tell from the inspection report.
I just sent off an email requesting a copy of the pic.
If they don't come thru, I'll take a pic of the pic, and post it.

I'll also take a look in person, a little later today.

Thanks Brian! :)

Can you hear increased exhaust noise?

If the leak is big enough, it will make a distinctive sound. Near the exhaust manifold or collector pipe it will have a distinctive pulsing sound that increases with the engine RPMs. It can sound like a rattle or raspy sound, sometimes almost like a muffled hammering sound. Further downstream closer to the muffler it is just usually louder and a different tone than normal.

The further upstream the leak is the more likely you are to smell exhaust fumes.

Kaylee, since you just had the engine replaced recently it might be pertinent to check the exhaust manifold bolts for proper torque.

That's a good idea PM's. Caution about people you don't know always makes sense.

What do you think about this idea Help caravan. You can help, you need help join the Help caravan ?

Kaylee said:
I can definitely smell exhaust fumes inside, though it varies a lot. If I'm at all nervous, I lower the driver's side window.
i would get that fixed asap. i'm one of the few that had carbon monoxide
poisoning when i was a kid :(

Kaylee, first off you should be able to easily look at the muffler and tailpipe and see how rusted they are. That's usually what causes holes.

Somewhat harder to look at the complete piping from the engine all the way to the muffler, but that's what you paid the guys to checkout. For 1987, I should imagine you have a catalytic converter under there too. Supposedly everything is ok, given the inspection, except for the hole in the tailpipe. You should get this replaced.

I would also buy one of those carbon monoxide detectors from Home Depot, wherever, and put it in the drivers compartment. I would do that immediately and see if you get any triggers.

owl said:
What do you think about this idea Help caravan. You can help, you need help join the Help caravan ?

You would have to ask Suanne about this because she is handling all of the caravan logistics. I haven't been around any of the caravan groups but it's my understanding that they are composed of mostly new people learning the skills needed to boondock and live on the road so there's probably a lack of expertise.

Probably true, lots of new folks on the caravans. The couple I experienced had some old hands around, (<;

Have patched small holes with repair goop available in auto stores..it usually doesn't last terribly long if the vehicle is driven every day, but it is cheap. A tailpipe after the muffler should not be very costly either.

owl said:

I really like the community spirit that this idea embodies.

Unfortunately, when on public land, we can't have organized HOWA activities without a Special Use Permit, operations plan, lots of processing time, and many associated BLM costs.  That's why the Caravans are kept smallish and not organized by HOWA once on sight.

If we owned some private land where the county gave us permission to implement your idea, then that's a real possibility.

Suanne said:
I really like the community spirit that this idea embodies.

Unfortunately, when on public land, we can't have organized HOWA activities without a Special Use Permit, operations plan, lots of processing time, and many associated BLM costs.  That's why the Caravans are kept smallish and not organized by HOWA once on sight.

If we owned some private land where the county gave us permission to implement your idea, then that's a real possibility.
   I agree, nothing organized. Caravans now operate in areas with a loose knit idea of where and when and small numbers.. Having a theme for such a gathering and being kept small would solve the issues mentioned. There are folks here who have knowledge and most are willing to share. What I see is someone needing or wanting help is able to meet, on a caravan, a person who is capable and willing to help. I recently had an experience helping people that changed my life. I am not the person I once was. What I see is a situation where that sort of experience could be channeled to pass along knowledge that would improve another person's life. I would like that chance and I think others here would also. Without question, I know there is a need. With others around the experience would be safe and beneficial. I know that giving makes me a better man.

badmotorscooter said:
Kaylee, since you just had the engine replaced recently it might be pertinent to check the exhaust manifold bolts for proper torque.
And the manifold gaskets to insure proper fit. Some vehicles also have a "little silver donut" to seal the exhaust pipes to the manifolds. Make sure that is installed properly if your car has them.